4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1st gear tips/tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 05:13 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Default 1st gear tips/tricks?

Is there a good way to reduce the bogging and jack rabbiting in first gear (remember im still an amateur with manual)? I dunno if im holdin the clutch in too long or what
Old 11-23-2006, 05:15 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 1st gear tips/tricks?

The jack-rabbitting, or what I believe you're referring to, is called wheel hop... Usually, it comes from overly soft suspension, and some moderate grip on your tires..

Worst part is, it can break a bunch of expensive parts, if you don't control it.. That's where suspension mods come in to play..

The bogging is just you, getting used to your RPM band.. You'll get it eventually.. It takes practice; it's not something you can just wake up w/..

JT
Old 11-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

I'm in the same boat as you., but first gear seems to be easiest for me. The best thing I recommend is giving it gas before you start releasing the clutch then you have a better indictator of when it's catching, and then you let up on the gas, and slowly release the clutch completely. Never hurts to give it extra gas., whereas if you don't give it enough gas you sputter and bog.

My biggest challenge is the 1-2 shift. If I granny it I can do it smoothly, but I can't do it in a smooth quick motion yet. It's frustrating, but then again I've only been driving stick for 3-4 weeks.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:37 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Ha yeah. Well see actually my problem when Im in first gear is that I do give it a lil gas right before I let off the clutch and when I lightly hold the clutch while the car gets moving nothing happens really but then when I finally let off the clutch, it just sort of bounces once.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:45 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

this is what i do. idle is at what 800, so i rev it up to about 1k-1.2k and hold it there and let the clutch out unit it starts to grab. then i try to keep it around 1k-1.2k as i let the clutch out gently. once its fully in first i then ad gas as needed. if you start to feel it bogging/jerking you can always push in the clutch and try again. now i do this like second nature since i have been driving stick for almost three years now. one thing ive noticed about the stang is its a little more touchy feely than other cars so if you dont do it just right there will be some jerking and a overall not smooth ride, which could be uncomfortable for your passenger. now for the 1-2 normal shift i give about 1/4 throttle and once it gets to like 2k-2.3k i put it in second and usualy make sure its in second then let the clutch out. if and when i let other people drive my car usualy they grind second even when the car is warmed up.

just keep practicing and you'll get it in notime.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Gumby
2nd Gear Member

It takes a bit of time to get the "feel" of the clutch. Once you get a good feel for it, and you know exactly when it's going to grab then it will be alot easier.
Just takes time and practice.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:52 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

The best tip and trick=practice.
This was my first stick shift car and i stalled a couple time when i first got it but i just drove around the neighborhood for a while till i got it perfect. dont think about it and just do it
Old 11-23-2006, 05:54 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mvr

this is what i do. idle is at what 800, so i rev it up to about 1k-1.2k and hold it there and let the clutch out unit it starts to grab. then i try to keep it around 1k-1.2k as i let the clutch out gently. once its fully in first i then ad gas as needed. if you start to feel it bogging/jerking you can always push in the clutch and try again. now i do this like second nature since i have been driving stick for almost three years now. one thing ive noticed about the stang is its a little more touchy feely than other cars so if you dont do it just right there will be some jerking and a overall not smooth ride, which could be uncomfortable for your passenger. now for the 1-2 normal shift i give about 1/4 throttle and once it gets to like 2k-2.3k i put it in second and usualy make sure its in second then let the clutch out. if and when i let other people drive my car usualy they grind second even when the car is warmed up.

just keep practicing and you'll get it in notime.

Thanks for that tip dude. Ill give that a shot. I also idle around the same rpm range so maybe what you said will work. And yes, Mustangs are very touchy hahahaha
Old 11-23-2006, 06:00 PM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

if it starts boggin, just put the clutch back in, and let it out again, or shift to 2nd ^^
another idea, if ppl are around you, is to just floor it, and try to look like a bad ***
but seriously, it just takes a few months, then you will get used to it, and it will stop bogging/hopping so much. i still do it every once in a while, mainly in the mornings, but yea, just drive alot, and you will get used to it.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:49 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

I taught my girlfriend by telling her to keep her foot off the gas and slowly let out on the clutch to watch the rpms begin to drop...once she got the feel of that, i told her to start giving it a little gas (to get moving) and she eventually got the hang of it...and as said many times, the clutch can always go in

Quick Reply: 1st gear tips/tricks?