4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Weird Vert Leak....

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 11:19 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Weird Vert Leak....

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

Here's a longshot ...

This summer I was watching out an office window at the neigbors parking lot during a really HEAVY rain! I mean wrath of god type of heavy downpour that lasted quite a while. Well, the parking lot kinda has a droop in the center of it and, the storm drains couldn't dump the rain out fast enough and. sure enough a the water flooded up, as high as the bottom of some of the cars doors! Some flood water might have leaked into one of those cars.. same could happen to you?

I thought of that but the 2 times it has happened (within last 2 weeks) the car was in two different spots.
The first one was actually in Vermont and the second time it was in my driveway.

Drainage is good at both spots.

The only thing common is both times the car is on a slight incline with the nose pointing up and at least in my driveway, the roadbed leans slightly to the drivers side.

Also both times the car was sitting, not being driven.

I notice there is a long thread in the 2005+ group about cars flooding inside when parked on inclines but those guys are having water entering near the front passenger side and coupes do it as well.
Looks a lot worse than my problem which is just in the rear behind the passenger seat.

I'm going to pull the rear seat tomorrow and also the speakers and see if I can find this drain hole.

Seems to me since the car leans a little toward the drivers side, water entering from around the passenger rear fender well would pool at the spot near the transmission hump. Maybe it's running along something under the seat and exiting near the hump which is why I don't feel any wetness as I go toward the door or up the carpet as it goes up the sides and under the rear seat.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:55 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Weird Vert Leak....Found The Leak!!

Alright, I spent the afternoon removing the rear seat, peeling back the rear carpet and looking.

Turns out I have TWO problems.

This post actually gave me some clues:

https://mustangforums.com/archive/thread2177581-1.html

The rear passenger foot well was soaked and also under the seat out at the very edge of the body there was a very little amount of water.
There was a lot of leaves and stuff in there, on both sides, so I cleaned it all out.

I never did find any holes like the above post mentions, but I did notice that right at the front of where the seat mounts the seam is open and you can see out to the ground.

The problem in this area is that lots of stuff is sealed with RTV from Ford so it is difficult to tell how the drainage is supposed to work.

What I noticed is that their is a little trough that runs right into the rear passenger floor pan, but there is no way for the water to get out because the open seam is about 1/8 inch high and the water can't really climb over the seam and get to the opening and drain!!!!

I simply enlarged the seam and bent the metal to guide the water out to the ground.

Now when I flood the top (I am talking about REALLY spraying A LOT), the very small amount of water that
collects in there has a place to go.
I did the same on both sides because the other side was very slightly damp, but nothing like the passenger side.

After doing this, I thought about it and reached the conclusion that this isn't a lot of water so how could it soak the carpet even after a few hours of rain?

It doesn't make sense.

So I started looking more.

I put the front end up on ramps because both times the carpet flooded the car was parked on an angle.
Sprayed my water again and WOW!!

It was coming out of the inside of the rocker panel frame (the thing with the holes in it so you can look inside) right at the edge where Ford siliconed the seems.
IOW where the rocker panel meets the floor pan and slightly above.

(you have to pull off the plastic trim to see this)

There was also water dripping out from under the car near the rear wheel, which is how it's supposed to work I guess.
It appears that the water gets channled inside this frame member and exits at the back of the car.

(BTW the plastic ground effects block everything so you can't really see from underneath)

Since the silicone was leaking, lots of water was running right into the rear floor pan.
Also there is a rubber patch over some kind of access hole that was not sealed correctly.

The other side, which does not leak, has a lot more silicone from the factory...

Bottom line, dry it all out and silicone the hell out of it......

I'm going to let it dry overnight and test tomorrow.

I'll keep ya posted
Old 11-25-2006, 06:19 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Wow you should write all that into a script & send it in to CSI lol Umm can you factor a dead body into there somewhere?

Keep digging dude, the water is coming from somewhere & Captain Kirk isn't beaming it there from the future
Old 11-25-2006, 06:46 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GreyStang

Wow you should write all that into a script & send it in to CSI lol Umm can you factor a dead body into there somewhere?

Keep digging dude, the water is coming from somewhere & Captain Kirk isn't beaming it there from the future
I guess it's the engineer in me that gets me interested in the tough ones.
I'm pretty sure I have it fixed, I'll give it the garden hose test tomorrow after the silicone drys.

I wonder if the Ford factory manual lists where the various drain holes are in these things?
I know my Chevy book does.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Mine is doing the exact same thing.I'll have to read your solution a few times to make sure that I understand the fix.Thank you.