4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What 4th Generation Mustang to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 04:47 AM
rlars66

Default What 4th Generation Mustang to buy??

Hello everyone,

I am currently a 20 year old college student that has had a passion for mustangs ever since I have been born. My family has a 1966 Mustang since new and I have always wanted one of my own.
By submitting this forum post I ask what mustang do you think would be the best for both summer and winter (daily driver). Obviously the V6 would get the best MPG but why get a Mustang if its missing 2 cylinders. Below I have listed items on what I typically look for.

Year: 1994-2004
Price: <$8000
Transmission: Manual (of course)
Engine: 4.6 or 5.0 (3.6 if I really had to)
Mileage: <125,000

Please let me know what Year would offer me the best value for the car. Also please feel free to add any additional inputs within this post. Thanks for your comments!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:32 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

For $8,000 you can get a really nice New Edge (99-04) Mustang GT with moderate mileage. The only thing I would say is that if you get lots of snow where you live, prepare to get stuck pretty often especially with a manual trans. So you may wanna invest in snow tires or tire chains (if legal there).

Or you could just spend $6,000 on a Mustang for Summer driving and the rest on a truck/SUV for the Winter months. $6,000 will still get you a really nice New Edge.

Just keep in mind...94 and 95 V8s are 5.0 OHV engines. 96-98 are 2V SOHC 4.6 engines (aka NPI or non-Performance Improved). 99-04 are PI (Performance Improved) 4.6 SOHC 2V engines. If well cared for, each of these engines can be modified to put out large hp/tq numbers. I'd say check Craigslist for some good deals. I'm always browsing just to see whats out there. And I always see lots of good deals. Feel free to post up and ask if you need to know if any specific car is a good deal or not.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:56 AM
rlars66

Thanks for your post. Yeah I do live in a very snowy climate (Minnesota) but I have been doing research and also have been talking to other mustang owners and they all say with some Blizzacks and maybe a sandbag or two you will be fine. Do you think this is true? Also I thought with manuals you are better off in the snow because you can control torque better.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:21 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

You'll defiently get a nice looking (probably even lightly modified) New Edge for 8 grand. If you get the GT it comes with the 4.6 and the 6er comes with the 3.9 I beleive. GL!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:54 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rlars66
Thanks for your post. Yeah I do live in a very snowy climate (Minnesota) but I have been doing research and also have been talking to other mustang owners and they all say with some Blizzacks and maybe a sandbag or two you will be fine. Do you think this is true? Also I thought with manuals you are better off in the snow because you can control torque better.
It depends on the driver. I personally find it more difficult to operate a manual trans in snow. And maybe you will be fine with some Blizzaks, but I would just get a cheap truck with 4WD or AWD and let the Mustang sit during the Winter if I were you. From what I've heard, you guys out in Minnesota get large amounts of snow. Even here in Jersey we get enough snow that I had to get a F-150 with 4WD.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 PM
DillonInCO
1st Gear Member

Do you have experience driving RWD cars? Mustang will never be a good car for snow. Even with snow tires, it's passable at best, especially on stock suspension. The factory 4-link rear end found on '79-'04 Mustangs is incredibly prone to sudden, unpredictable handling changes over bumps and slick surfaces. I have personally seen Mustangs spin out in light rain for seemingly no reason. Also, I live in a sorta snowy state (Colorado) and have daily driven many RWD cars in the winter. After my last one, I said no more. Not because I can't get around in RWD in the snow, I consider myself a good driver...but because it's a massive amount of wear and tear on the car. Your paint will be destroyed after just one winter, and if the car is been in the snow all its life, you also have to worry about rust.

My $.02 if you're dead set on daily driving a Mustang and you can only have one car: Get a '94 / '95 GT that looks decent, but not great, for around $3500-4000. The 5.0 makes less power from the factory, but it can easily make the same (or better) numbers as a 4.6 with some simple mods. Spend the rest on upgrading the suspension (rear lower control arms, shocks, springs), and a spare set of rims with studded snow tires for the winter, assuming studs are legal in MN. But don't lower it unless you can afford a ride-height adjustable coilover conversion...you'll hate your life during the winter if you do.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Evan02
1st Gear Member

I live in CT and I drive an 02 with a 5 Speed, during the winter I throw 100 pounds of sand in the back and change over my wheels/tires to my winters, I have never got stuck.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:53 AM
rlars66

Originally Posted by Evan02
I live in CT and I drive an 02 with a 5 Speed, during the winter I throw 100 pounds of sand in the back and change over my wheels/tires to my winters, I have never got stuck.
What kind of mods have you done to your mustang? Anything including suspension to have a better impact on snowy conditions?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:19 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Some people have a more difficult time in the snow than others. But still, its more about potential problems and safety. A Mustang, even with snow tires and sand in the trunk, is not a safe vehicle to be driving in the snow. Even if you can make it from A to B in snow, you still have to factor in how far you're driving, how long it'll take to get there, and the drive back if it keeps snowing or if the snow gets worse. Trust me, driving 20 mph in snow is no fun. Stopping and sliding through stop signs, traffic lights, stopped vehicles...etc. I have a modded 2010 Camaro SS with a manual 6 speed trans. And I drove it through snow this past Winter. But that was only because I had no other choice. And it was a hazardous and treacherous trip each time. Several times it took me half an hour to even make it out my Apartment complex driveway. So like suggested, save some of that money and get a beater truck with 4X4 or AWD. No sense in risking yours and others safety.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:58 AM
Evan02
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rlars66
What kind of mods have you done to your mustang? Anything including suspension to have a better impact on snowy conditions?
My suspension is all stock, the traction control works wonders in the snow.

But it is true, driving any distance in the snow is not fun what soever in a mustang. This past winter I was driving home from the University I go to, about a 20 mile drive in roads covered with 3-5 inches of snow.

It took me at least 3 times as long to get back. And another thing you have to worry about driving in the snow is the other people driving in the snow. If you know what you're doing, the guy driving right next to might not. Know what I'm saying? Dozens of accidents in the snow are caused by idiots who think they're so cool for driving fast.