4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tb plenum install

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:57 AM
rvoss5
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: tb plenum install

ok, so i just got done. i had to drill the holes a little bit for the throttle line, it wouldn't go in . i didn't have a deep socket 10mm so i had to goto kmart (ghetto) and get one. but finally i finished. so far so good. i let it sit and idle like the directions said, until the car warmed up. seemed to idle fine. i took it for a spin. i can feel it after 4000 all the way to 6000 rpms. i pulled into mcdonalds and then it started idling up and down between 500-900 rpms. and the oil temp would move back and forth. also, it whistles like crazy when i touch the throttle a little. is the whistling normal? and it idled a little awkward before too. i imagine that just cuz i took the neg off the battery the tune still stayed on the ecu?! i dunno. if you guys have any more advice that would be awesome!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:01 AM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

what brand u go with?? and what was the toughest part of install?
Old 11-25-2006, 02:38 AM
rvoss5
2nd Gear Member

i went with the summit 75 mm tb and trick flow plenum. it looks really clean. the hardest part was not having all the tools i needed lol. actually the hardest part was the little black hose on the plenum on the front side of it. the damn thing would not come off, so i just grabbed some pliers and twisted the top to break it loose. i wish i could figure out why it whistles though. also if anyone decides to do this make sure you have a 10mm deep socket for the iac.

ORIGINAL: dvs_03gt

what brand u go with?? and what was the toughest part of install?
Old 11-25-2006, 02:39 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Is the idle still bouncing between 500-900 rpms? If so you've probably got a vacuum leak.

And I think the whistling is normal.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:44 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rvoss5

ok, so i just got done. i had to drill the holes a little bit for the throttle line, it wouldn't go in . i didn't have a deep socket 10mm so i had to goto kmart (ghetto) and get one. but finally i finished. so far so good. i let it sit and idle like the directions said, until the car warmed up. seemed to idle fine. i took it for a spin. i can feel it after 4000 all the way to 6000 rpms. i pulled into mcdonalds and then it started idling up and down between 500-900 rpms. and the oil temp would move back and forth. also, it whistles like crazy when i touch the throttle a little. is the whistling normal? and it idled a little awkward before too. i imagine that just cuz i took the neg off the battery the tune still stayed on the ecu?! i dunno. if you guys have any more advice that would be awesome!
The whistle means you have a leak recheck all bolts and hoses. Try cleaning you IAC to fix the idle problem. If you are talking about the stock oil gauge then that is a pressure gauge and not a temp gauge. At 500 RPMs your car is getting ready to die that is why the oil pressure dropped.

Last TB/ plenum install I did was on my wifes car 2 weeks ago and it took me 15 min. It was my 5th TB/Plenum install so it is getting easy.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:10 PM
rvoss5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

The whistle means you have a leak recheck all bolts and hoses. Try cleaning you IAC to fix the idle problem. If you are talking about the stock oil gauge then that is a pressure gauge and not a temp gauge. At 500 RPMs your car is getting ready to die that is why the oil pressure dropped.

Last TB/ plenum install I did was on my wifes car 2 weeks ago and it took me 15 min. It was my 5th TB/Plenum install so it is getting easy.

ok, so how do i find the leak? and how do i clean the iac?
Old 11-25-2006, 01:12 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Old 11-25-2006, 01:12 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

I read the TECHS HOW TO'S

It says

Spray WD 40 and look for it

IAC you can removed I personally cleaned my with Carb Cleaner solved my problem of idle then dieing
Old 11-25-2006, 01:39 PM
rvoss5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99gtstang

I read the TECHS HOW TO'S

It says

Spray WD 40 and look for it

IAC you can removed I personally cleaned my with Carb Cleaner solved my problem of idle then dieing
i read it too, i looked and couldn't find anything. i made sure everything was tight. it doesn't do it bad, just when i touch the throttle a bit it will whistle for a second or less. i'll keep looking.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:51 PM
rvoss5
2nd Gear Member

ok, so i went over it again. i also followed the sound and it's coming from the intake pipe. i didn't find any leaks, but i did find that i broke one of the clamps on the intake.

Quick Reply: tb plenum install