4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

04 Cobra motor into 96GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 05:08 AM
!!!96MustangGT!!!

Default 04 Cobra motor into 96GT

Is it possible....I'm just wondering. That would be the swap to do...lol
Old 11-25-2006, 09:25 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 04 Cobra motor into 96GT

Its possbile but..... INCREDIBLY expensive.....

Now may I ask why??? Do you feel that your 2v motor is just too small when those 4v big boys stunt there stuff in them Cobras and Machs??? Its kinda like comparing small *****.... big *****..... Size doesn't matter if you know what your doinglol

Now if your gonna do the Cobra swap..... about 5 to 6 grand for the motor with the supercharger. I've seen them run for around 3 to 4 grand on just the long block in good condition.

Now another 2 grand in installation, computer tune, exhuast, tranny(i'd reccomend it if your gonna do that route), suspension(to handel that power), blah blah blah... Lets just say around 12 grand to be in the safe zone to get your car to perform like a stock 03/04 cobra and thats around 390 to 400rwhp and 400 somthing torque... Ok thats kewl.... Now check this out!!!!

Modular Power or DSS, one of those guys I think, don't qoute me but I know someone has done it, has taken a 2002 mustang gt 2v and brought her upwards of 800rwhp..... GOOD GOD!!!!!!! Don't think your little 2v is just too small to swang with the crowd.

With 12 grand...... you can.......

built bottom end capable of supporting upwards of 600rwhp (This is enough to run you in the 11s! Why go faster when you gotta put a roll cage in your car?) and thats around 3 grand

Kenne Bell 2.1 or Procharger D-1/P-1, around 4 to 6 grand depending on what you get, and all those will be good for 500rwhp

Now you have at least 3 grand worth for either, supension and brakes, nitrous, heads, cams ect.....

With all that you would be looking towards the mid to high 500rwhp range.... Thats alot of power! And our 2Vs LOVE Forced Induction!!!

If your really intrested, call Texas Hot Rods, give them a budget, a horsepower goal, and they will set you straight!

-Vic's 2 Cents.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:12 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Dang Vic, you summed it up rather well. I personally would go ahead and just get some exhaust, gears, and either a KB S/C or Procharger. If you check out some websites of each S/C, they tell you general information about how much power you gain and how much they cost, and it tells you all you get in the kit.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

You've got my info, now just do a PI 2v, Get your basic bolt on's... PLus stage one or two cams. BLower cams if your going forced induction. (not from Comp) PLus change your rear gears. I know my 96 GT vert came with 2:73's. Go with 3.55 or 3.73. After you get you basic bolt on's save for a SC or turbo. Also if you want to push a Mod's internals even farther past the normal limit of 430rwhp then get the biggest intercooler you can! ANd I can't say this enough... TUNE TUNE TUNE on the dyno. SCT is the best... Oh and to top it all off, throw some V-6 pony badges on it and you'll have your sleeper look you were wanting!

Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 05:23 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Anything is possible with enough money :P
Old 11-25-2006, 05:42 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

You forgot a couple of things... in a very good post... Transmisision.. axle, and clutch. For a built block installed it's going to be more then the 3k though in most cases. For you to have it ready to drop it costs about that much. Unless you can install it yourself, you're looking at another 2k. That's 5k, for built block + install. Then your blower, which can range (installed) from 4-8k depending on who does it, and what kinda blower you use. Transmission, clutch are also need to process that much power, against the stock ones - and a beefed axle so yours doesnt snap. With of course some tires and rims. It costs a lot of money, to go fast, it really does, but in the end what you'll have is one badass GT, that will hurt a lot of cobras, if that's your goal.

EDIT: If you plan on making a lot of power, you will also need much better suspension then what's currently in your car too. That can get expensive too. but everything i've said really is for someone that wants to make in excess of 450-500rwhp too.

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

Its possbile but..... INCREDIBLY expensive.....

Now may I ask why??? Do you feel that your 2v motor is just too small when those 4v big boys stunt there stuff in them Cobras and Machs??? Its kinda like comparing small *****.... big *****..... Size doesn't matter if you know what your doinglol

Now if your gonna do the Cobra swap..... about 5 to 6 grand for the motor with the supercharger. I've seen them run for around 3 to 4 grand on just the long block in good condition.

Now another 2 grand in installation, computer tune, exhuast, tranny(i'd reccomend it if your gonna do that route), suspension(to handel that power), blah blah blah... Lets just say around 12 grand to be in the safe zone to get your car to perform like a stock 03/04 cobra and thats around 390 to 400rwhp and 400 somthing torque... Ok thats kewl.... Now check this out!!!!

Modular Power or DSS, one of those guys I think, don't qoute me but I know someone has done it, has taken a 2002 mustang gt 2v and brought her upwards of 800rwhp..... GOOD GOD!!!!!!! Don't think your little 2v is just too small to swang with the crowd.

With 12 grand...... you can.......

built bottom end capable of supporting upwards of 600rwhp (This is enough to run you in the 11s! Why go faster when you gotta put a roll cage in your car?) and thats around 3 grand

Kenne Bell 2.1 or Procharger D-1/P-1, around 4 to 6 grand depending on what you get, and all those will be good for 500rwhp

Now you have at least 3 grand worth for either, supension and brakes, nitrous, heads, cams ect.....

With all that you would be looking towards the mid to high 500rwhp range.... Thats alot of power! And our 2Vs LOVE Forced Induction!!!

If your really intrested, call Texas Hot Rods, give them a budget, a horsepower goal, and they will set you straight!

-Vic's 2 Cents.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:43 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

actually it's not as bad as what these guys make it sound, i believe. becaues i talked about the same thing to a guy in at kauffmans motorsports and he said your just gonna need a wiring harness n just a few other modifications for the change, build up your own motor, make it custom that's what i'd like to do someday with a dohc motor
Old 11-25-2006, 06:00 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Silver for that much power, you need the motor, transmission, beefed axle, clutch, and suspension upgrades. That adds up QUICKLY.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:26 PM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

are you sure about the axle and such? i was never told that from the tech in where i got my car dynoed, he just said about the wiring harness and a few other mods, cause i doubt you forgot bout it but our GT's have solid rear ends and not IRS thats why i figured you wouldn't need it beefed up. but for the tranny thing, you'd have to have a beefed up tranny to handle like just 400hp? like for instance would my auto tranny need redone, instead of just getting a 6 bolt fluxplate or w/e to hook it up to that kinda motor?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:35 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

The transmissions in the GT's aren't the best out there. My experiance with the Tremec 3650 in the 01.5's and up were horrible - had a buddy have to replace the tranny at 36k miles. Obviously it's predecessor wasn't cutting it either, that's why they changed to this. Most GT's are stuck at the 400rwhp range due to the tranny, engine internals and axle. Running that much power on the stock tranny, is like playing russian roulette - there are a lot of people doing it for a long time, and a lot of people that break the tranny on there 2nd pass at the track... The axle is the same way. The 8.8 is fine, but it's the 28 spline version of it thats bad. You can upgrade the differential, and put a 31 or 34 spline on it - and you'd be done. It just takes $$ and time to install it if you don't know how to.

My tuner told me when I was in my GT, that i didn't have to do the tranny or axle either - as long as it wasn't tracked every 2 weeks.. Until I had someone local with less power then I was planning to make snap thier axle for the 2nd time... So, it's all relative to the car, and you really never know, but if you're goin to do something - i believe in doing it right. If you're goin to spend the money to put a blower on the car, and to build it to be fast, you need to make sure the rest of the car can support it.. unless, you don't mind launching on the track or street in a race, and here BOOM.

my .02

Quick Reply: 04 Cobra motor into 96GT