4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

how well do these respond to bolt-ons?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 04:52 PM
markie629

Default how well do these respond to bolt-ons?

Hey people,

I've been reading the forums and searching for about a day now and havn't found any conclusive numbers on the questions I've got.

I'm looking to buy a 01 GT and plan to do some basic upgrades including cold air intake and exhaust work.

What kind of gains should i expect from:
1) cold air intake
2)cat-back
3)X pipe or even "H" pipe.

I used to drive an older turbo'd Supra so the world of N/A is relatively new to me.... who can help me out here?? I don't think the stock 260 Hp will satisfy my needs at all!

If you've got some other secrets to squeeze Hp out of this engine toss it my way becuase I've got maybe $7-8 hundred I want to spend in modding it.... no gears either... I want my highway milage!!

-thanks
Old 11-25-2006, 04:55 PM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: how well do these respond to bolt-ons?

Exhaust may give you 10-15 depending on what you go with. Maybe look into a SCT tuner if your looking to squeeze some power out of it .
Old 11-25-2006, 06:49 PM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

haha bolt ons to a GT is a DAY and NIGHT difference
Old 11-25-2006, 07:14 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

from those 3 mods alone you wont really see anything - it'll sound great, but power wise.. you'll be lucky with 10-12rwhp

Gears will not kill you for highway driving. I drive 40 miles 1way to work daily. In my gt I had 3.90 gears and didnt really notice mpg change. It's all in my foot , I think theres a difference of 400rpms - maybe? Very common misconception. There are people that run 4.30 gears and will get better gas milage and highway milage then I would with 3.27's because my foot seems to be pretty heavy, haha.
ORIGINAL: markie629

Hey people,

I've been reading the forums and searching for about a day now and havn't found any conclusive numbers on the questions I've got.

I'm looking to buy a 01 GT and plan to do some basic upgrades including cold air intake and exhaust work.

1) cold air intake -5rwhp
2)cat-back-3rwhp
3)X pipe or even "H" pipe. -4rwhp
(approx)

I used to drive an older turbo'd Supra so the world of N/A is relatively new to me.... who can help me out here?? I don't think the stock 260 Hp will satisfy my needs at all!

If you've got some other secrets to squeeze Hp out of this engine toss it my way becuase I've got maybe $7-8 hundred I want to spend in modding it.... no gears either... I want my highway milage!!

-thanks
Old 11-25-2006, 07:20 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

the quickest way to make power out of the 2v is FI....a full exhaust may free about 20(w/ LT's) and the JLT is quoted at 12, and the accufab im not sure about, but its one of the best for the average joe. if you wanna make the car overall faster may i suggest gears, 3:90s or 4:10's....and also an mgw will make drivin a bit more fun too, makes hittin 2nd to 3rd a breeze....good luck
Old 11-25-2006, 07:36 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

My suggestion if you want to save money but want power, you'll have to add a blower, bolt-ons are depressing when it comes to power output...

1) cold air intake - 2-5rwhp
2)cat-back - 2-5 rwhp
3)X pipe or even "H" pipe. - gains vary, 2-15 rwhp, a catted pipe will give you lower on the spectrum, an off-road pipe will give you more.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:43 PM
markie629

wow, thats a bit depressing!

I'm not sure the 10 extra hp after hundreds in mods would be worth it!
I was hoping for a more substantial gain in power than that!
Oh well....

I would probably only do the intake, and cat-back... maybe get high flow cats to replace worn out stockers but thats about it....

thanks for the help guys

-Mark
Old 11-26-2006, 04:44 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

you will like your bolt ons - like I said night and day difference, but yea if your racing then F/I is the only way to go
Old 11-26-2006, 06:22 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: markie629

Hey people,

1) cold air intake
2)cat-back
3)X pipe or even "H" pipe.

-thanks
You will not kill your MPG with a set of 3.73s or even 4.10s really, espcially if you keep your foot out of it and don't run 80+ MPH all day long.

The 3.73s in particular don't really increase your RPM much on the highway.

BTW, it definatly won't be a night and day difference with the parts he is planning to put on the car. I would guess 15 WHP at best.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:08 AM
PerformanceRed4.6
2nd Gear Member

NITROUS for the win! with nitrous and bolt ons i put down 356 rwhp and 468ft lb torque....that is some crazy torque!!! raced a heads/cam ls1 m6 car from roll....the ls1 put down 427 rwhp and not sure on torque but i pulled him bout a car from all mphs......til he got into his higher rpms and came back on me....nitrous just give the 4.6 crazy amounts of torque....btw the head.cam ls1 car ran 10.95s with slicks and a 9 inch rearend

Quick Reply: how well do these respond to bolt-ons?