4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What is Exxon doing now?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:25 PM
hack_239
1st Gear Member

Default What is Exxon doing now?!?!

I went to fill up this morning and noticed that the octane ratings were changed. The midgrade went from 89 to 88.5 and the premium went from 93 to 92. I have never noticed this occuring before. Are they getting cheap or is there a environ-"mentallly challenged" reason for this reduction. Also, what about the guys who's cars need premium? What are they supposed to do with an octane rating lower than recommended? Certainly there must be a logical explanation.[sm=bs.gif]
Old 12-06-2006, 12:26 PM
Fizzics Boy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What is Exxon doing now?!?!

i never get gas at exxon, so i wouldnt know
Old 12-06-2006, 12:27 PM
dubarado
4th Gear Member

umm... i'm in norfolk... they better not be doing that for all of VA... that's gonna suck.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:09 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

cars that take premium usless changed in tune take 91+ octane. So the fact that they are dropping down to 92 doesn't really matter. Alot of gas stations around by me are like that. Some say 93 octane and some say 92.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:00 PM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

higher elevations normally have lower octane needs. premium up in CO is like 91 i think, and down in tx it's 93. so really, your fine
Old 12-06-2006, 02:03 PM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

yep, altitude affects octane rating...but i dont trust Exxon, for some reason their gas goes through my car a lot faster[&:]...im a BP man
Old 12-06-2006, 02:38 PM
trance565
3rd Gear Member

i just use whatever is cheapest.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Exxon/Mobil is he worst! They screw everybody on price every day. By far the most expensive gas here in the Northeast. I have seen their premium grade sell for up to 32 cents a gallon more than a Hess station less than 2 miles away. Rip off artists at your's and mine expense. They always post the most rediculous profits as well. Talk about taking advantage of a situation. I wouldn't buy gas from them if I had to push my car. Plus, they get the majority of their oil from the middle east.....that lovely **** spot of the earth. Sun Oil (Sunoco) gets no oil from the middle east and Hess gets most from Mexico and Latin & South America.

Sunoco played the premium grade octane shuffle years ago. They dropped their Ultra from 94 to 93 and offered a cheaper premium 91 as well. 91 is usually the minimum octane allowed in a premium burning engine. I also pay less at Hess for 93 octane (my 32-valve Aurora has to have it) than Sunoco's 91 octane! My mustang also likes the additive package in Hess's gas for some reason. Runs really well on the stuff.

Bottom line......screw Exxon/Mobil. Why not? They certainly try to screw everyone else!!
Old 12-06-2006, 04:22 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

im in VA to.. but i get my gas from BP so.. good luck with exxon.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:26 PM
burning the tiers
1st Gear Member

Exxon/Mobil is he worst! They screw everybody on price every day. By far the most expensive gas here in the Northeast. I have seen their premium grade sell for up to 32 cents a gallon more than a Hess station less than 2 miles away. Rip off artists at your's and mine expense. They always post the most rediculous profits as well. Talk about taking advantage of a situation. I wouldn't buy gas from them if I had to push my car. Plus, they get the majority of their oil from the middle east.....that lovely **** spot of the earth. Sun Oil (Sunoco) gets no oil from the middle east and Hess gets most from Mexico and Latin & South America.

Sunoco played the premium grade octane shuffle years ago. They dropped their Ultra from 94 to 93 and offered a cheaper premium 91 as well. 91 is usually the minimum octane allowed in a premium burning engine. I also pay less at Hess for 93 octane (my 32-valve Aurora has to have it) than Sunoco's 91 octane! My mustang also likes the additive package in Hess's gas for some reason. Runs really well on the stuff.

Bottom line......screw Exxon/Mobil. Why not? They certainly try to screw everyone else!!
this is true exxon mobil made a $10.7 BILLION profit last quarter (last 3 months)[:@] and there gas lasts the least amount of time out of all of the other gas companys. the only reason you see a lot of exxon's or mobil 1's is because the people who own exxon or mobil 1 gas stations are making alot of money b/c alot of people like there gas b/c there gas is expensive and people think that exspensive is always better [sm=headbang.gif][sm=badidea.gif][sm=chairshot.gif]

Quick Reply: What is Exxon doing now?!?!