4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 09:26 AM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New Engine

Okay your really dense Razor. Dan has stated several times that the QUALITY of gas varies from area to area, as well as climates vary area to area. YES the manual says you can run 87 in your GT, I have read it. It does NOT say that there will be no pinging.

I cannot run 87 in my car without pinging and all I have is an x-pipe and catback. I couldn't run 87 in the car from the start. I have tried 89 and she didn't like it, so now I run 93 and she is fine. And wouldn't you know, I live in New England too, about an hour from Dan.

In New England we can get some pretty crappy gas in the low grades. I try to only go to 2 station, a Sunoco and a Mobil. I have tried 87 and 89 from both. PING PING PING PING!!! Granted the ping wasn't as bad with the 89 as with the 87 but it was still there. SO I have a GT that needs to run 93.

If you want to spend 2 grand to save a couple of bucks a week go head. Your reasoning is stupid. How do you know the cars aren't pinging, do you know what it sounds like? Do you drive the cars everyday? Does your friend know what he should be listening for or knows what it would feel like?

See people like you want to have a fast car that is economical. I want 400hp, streetable on 87 too, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! When you want to play the game you got to be willing to pay the price. If you can only afford to get the car, how the hell are you going to fix it if it breaks? Would getting a 99+ motor be a good idea? Sure if it had less miles and you planned on keeping the car for while. But if you are going to go through the hassle of swapping motors, why not get a 4V? Oh, wait it needs premium gas, my bad. Your have high expectations for your car, that's just to bad.

So what happens when you want to add a new CAI, MAF, TB and LT? Still think you can run 87? Doubt it very much unless you use a timing adjuster to pull timing instead of advancing it, but that would negate all of the mods you just put on, now wouldn't it.

You need to get a solid plan together on what the real attainable goals are for your car. If you want to use 87 the goal will be easily meet, perhaps only in stock trim. You want to start making power, get ready to shell out that 5 bucks more tank to get what the car needs.

There is a whole other world outside your little one. Things aren't always perfect. And you shouldn't believe everything you read, hear, and see. Only use them as guidlines, because sometimes they are not 100% correct.

P.S. Did you know that the octane rating listed in the manual, is based upon the average grade of fuel needed for a production 2V 4.6?
Old 09-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilverGTV8

Okay your really dense Razor. Dan has stated several times that the QUALITY of gas varies from area to area, as well as climates vary area to area. YES the manual says you can run 87 in your GT, I have read it. It does NOT say that there will be no pinging.

I cannot run 87 in my car without pinging and all I have is an x-pipe and catback. I couldn't run 87 in the car from the start. I have tried 89 and she didn't like it, so now I run 93 and she is fine. And wouldn't you know, I live in New England too, about an hour from Dan.

In New England we can get some pretty crappy gas in the low grades. I try to only go to 2 station, a Sunoco and a Mobil. I have tried 87 and 89 from both. PING PING PING PING!!! Granted the ping wasn't as bad with the 89 as with the 87 but it was still there. SO I have a GT that needs to run 93.

If you want to spend 2 grand to save a couple of bucks a week go head. Your reasoning is stupid. How do you know the cars aren't pinging, do you know what it sounds like? Do you drive the cars everyday? Does your friend know what he should be listening for or knows what it would feel like?

See people like you want to have a fast car that is economical. I want 400hp, streetable on 87 too, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! When you want to play the game you got to be willing to pay the price. If you can only afford to get the car, how the hell are you going to fix it if it breaks? Would getting a 99+ motor be a good idea? Sure if it had less miles and you planned on keeping the car for while. But if you are going to go through the hassle of swapping motors, why not get a 4V? Oh, wait it needs premium gas, my bad. Your have high expectations for your car, that's just to bad.

So what happens when you want to add a new CAI, MAF, TB and LT? Still think you can run 87? Doubt it very much unless you use a timing adjuster to pull timing instead of advancing it, but that would negate all of the mods you just put on, now wouldn't it.

You need to get a solid plan together on what the real attainable goals are for your car. If you want to use 87 the goal will be easily meet, perhaps only in stock trim. You want to start making power, get ready to shell out that 5 bucks more tank to get what the car needs.

There is a whole other world outside your little one. Things aren't always perfect. And you shouldn't believe everything you read, hear, and see. Only use them as guidlines, because sometimes they are not 100% correct.

P.S. Did you know that the octane rating listed in the manual, is based upon the average grade of fuel needed for a production 2V 4.6?
Dan has also sais several times that you have to run higher than 87 octane, which is not true. In most cases you do not have to run 87 octane on a bone stock GT. My whole point was that every single bone stock GT can run on 87 octane hence why the manual says it. If the manual said u could run on 87 octane and you couldnt that would be false advertising and they could be sued. I never said anything about there being no pinging but you CAN run on 87 octane on EVERY bone stock GT. I never said certain GT's that live in certain places shouldnt fill up with 89 or 93. Whole point I'm trying to make is that every single GT produced that is not disfunctional can run on 87 octane but dan can not see that for some reason. I dont have any reasoning to be stupid? I asked wether I should get the new engine or get the PI head swap, I didnt say I should get the new engine so why are u calling me and my reasoning stupid when I'm asking a question not making a statement? If its pinging its pretty hard not to tell. You dont want a fast car that is economical? So when they do invent cars that are fast and economical you are just gonna say oh well I just want to waste more money on gas still just so I can say that I'm not a cheap *** is that what you are gonna say? Everybody wants a car that is fast and economical. I could put CAI, TB, MAF, and LT headers and still run my car perfectly fine on 87 octane without adjusting the timing. WTF are u rambling on about "There is a whole other world outside your little one" were did that come from? "Things arent always perfect" again random *** comment that comes out of the middle of no where. I shouldnt believe everything I see? Well if I saw it I'm probably gonna beleive it. So if your saying I saw some GT run a 13.5 I shouldnt believe it ran a 13.5 because I saw it?

P.S. Yes I did know that.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I have never once said 99+ GT's NEED to run on 89+ octane stock. Not once.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

ACTUALLY here is 3 times that you said it. You didnt just say it once you said 3 times.

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

There are 489349498 million 99+ GT owners who have to run on 89 or 93 bone stock because of the quality of gas they get & weather....

The reason why I said they HAVE to run on 89 & 93 octane is for this reason: An operational engine after 60,000 miles

You have to factor in humidity. And YES, they HAVE to run higher than 87 octane if they plan on keeping metal from hitting the pavement.
You didnt say NEED you said they HAVE to which is basically the same thing.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:30 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Razor19

Dan has also sais several times that you have to run higher than 87 octane, which is not true. In most cases you do not have to run 87 octane on a bone stock GT. My whole point was that every single bone stock GT can run on 87 octane hence why the manual says it. If the manual said u could run on 87 octane and you couldnt that would be false advertising and they could be sued. I never said anything about there being no pinging but you CAN run on 87 octane on EVERY bone stock GT. I never said certain GT's that live in certain places shouldnt fill up with 89 or 93. Whole point I'm trying to make is that every single GT produced that is not disfunctional can run on 87 octane but dan can not see that for some reason. I dont have any reasoning to be stupid? I asked wether I should get the new engine or get the PI head swap, I didnt say I should get the new engine so why are u calling me and my reasoning stupid when I'm asking a question not making a statement? If its pinging its pretty hard not to tell. You dont want a fast car that is economical? So when they do invent cars that are fast and economical you are just gonna say oh well I just want to waste more money on gas still just so I can say that I'm not a cheap *** is that what you are gonna say? Everybody wants a car that is fast and economical. I could put CAI, TB, MAF, and LT headers and still run my car perfectly fine on 87 octane without adjusting the timing. WTF are u rambling on about "There is a whole other world outside your little one" were did that come from? "Things arent always perfect" again random *** comment that comes out of the middle of no where. I shouldnt believe everything I see? Well if I saw it I'm probably gonna beleive it. So if your saying I saw some GT run a 13.5 I shouldnt believe it ran a 13.5 because I saw it?

P.S. Yes I did know that.
Okay okay, so every GT can run 87, EVERY CAR CAN RUN 87! EVERY CAR CAN RUN 100+ TOO! Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just because the book says they "recommend" 87 doesn't mean that is what it takes all the time, it means it is the lowest octane the motor can run on.

WHY would you want to run a motor that is pinging? Well the book says I says i can run 87 so I am. THe damn thing is pinging, why the hell would I want to run it like that.

You stated that a 100% of Stock GT's can run 87. I am not arguing that nor is Dan that it is possible to run it. What we are saying is that we and/or people we know have attempted to run 87 in our cars and they pinged. So we moved up in grade until they stopped pinging. That is all we are saying. I run 91+ because I want the motor not to ping itself to death as I get Dan and his friends don't want that either. WE RUN 91+ AND ARE CARS ARE MOSLTY STOCK IF NOT STOCK.

What we are arguing about is stupid. Not once did we argue what the book says. We are only arguing that in our case it isn't true. We stated that "hey we have 99+ motors and they ping with 87, so it may not be a wise choice to switch and assume you can run 87." You asked a question you got some answers and your arguements aren't well based. The book says so crap doesn't fly compared to real world experiences.

"Your little world..." comment was directed at the fact it seems that only you are right and everyone else is wrong. Razor says I can so I will.....[sm=badidea.gif]

I didn't say don't believe everything you read, hear, and see without thinking about it. If I saw a GT ran 13.5 and it was stock I would find it hard to believe until I acutally saw it do it. If the GT was modded with gears and other things then I would be more compelled to believe it seeing as how it make sense.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:15 PM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

Okay okay, so every GT can run 87, EVERY CAR CAN RUN 87! EVERY CAR CAN RUN 100+ TOO! Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Just because the book says they "recommend" 87 doesn't mean that is what it takes all the time, it means it is the lowest octane the motor can run on.

WHY would you want to run a motor that is pinging? Well the book says I says i can run 87 so I am. THe damn thing is pinging, why the hell would I want to run it like that.

You stated that a 100% of Stock GT's can run 87. I am not arguing that nor is Dan that it is possible to run it. What we are saying is that we and/or people we know have attempted to run 87 in our cars and they pinged. So we moved up in grade until they stopped pinging. That is all we are saying. I run 91+ because I want the motor not to ping itself to death as I get Dan and his friends don't want that either. WE RUN 91+ AND ARE CARS ARE MOSLTY STOCK IF NOT STOCK.

What we are arguing about is stupid. Not once did we argue what the book says. We are only arguing that in our case it isn't true. We stated that "hey we have 99+ motors and they ping with 87, so it may not be a wise choice to switch and assume you can run 87." You asked a question you got some answers and your arguements aren't well based. The book says so crap doesn't fly compared to real world experiences.

"Your little world..." comment was directed at the fact it seems that only you are right and everyone else is wrong. Razor says I can so I will.....[sm=badidea.gif]

I didn't say don't believe everything you read, hear, and see without thinking about it. If I saw a GT ran 13.5 and it was stock I would find it hard to believe until I acutally saw it do it. If the GT was modded with gears and other things then I would be more compelled to believe it seeing as how it make sense.
Well I guess you should watch what you are saying then before you say that 99+ GT's have to run on higher that 87 octane. Yes you both did say that GT's have to have higher than 87 octane which we have proven is not accurate. Certain GT's might have to run higher than 87 octane to not ping but they can still run on 87 octane which is the whole point I'm trying to prove. Yes obviously you arent gonna want to run on 87 if it is pinging like crazy but the whole point was he said something stupid like "They HAVE to have higher than 87 octane" which is not true. "You stated that a 100% of Stock GT's can run 87. I am not arguing that nor is Dan that it is possible to run it." That is exactly what he is arguing. Thats how the whole thing got started because that is exactly what he is arguing about. He is saying 99+ GT's HAVE to have highen than 87 octane I just showed you above 3 times when he said that. "You asked a question you got some answers and your arguements aren't well based" How were my arguments not well based you just agreed with me. Above you said every single 99+ GT can run on 87 ocatane which is exactly what I said, and exactly the opposite of what dan said so you are agreeing with me when you say that, so I'm not seeing how my arguments are are not well based. "Your little world..." comment was directed at the fact it seems that only you are right and everyone else is wrong. Razor says I can so I will....." Well thats your opinion and your entitled to that it means nothing to me but hey good job for you. "I didn't say don't believe everything you read, hear, and see without thinking about it" Go read your last post you said exactly that. Only part you didnt say in your last post was the end part about thinking about it, and you didnt say that in your previous post so obvioulsy you did say "dont believe everything you read, hear, and see. You guys say all this stuff then the next post you say "Well I never said that" Even though if you scroll up just a little bit you can read it for yourself that you just said it.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:00 AM
Stanley
1st Gear Member

God damn razor just shut up already.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:17 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Okay Razor, let me try clarifying you one last time.

It seems like everyone else understands what I said; what I clearly meant.

SilverGTV8 & I, know of people who OWN BONE STOCK 99+ GT's who run 87 octane and experience pinging. You are right, their cars CAN operate on 87 octane - NOBODY is arguing and saying the car will not travel down the road on 87 octane. BUT, in order for them to operate their car WITHOUT PINGING they NEED to run 89/93 octane. Unfortunetly, our climate in the North East is VERY humid. Your 100 degree days are NOTHING compared to our 90 degree days with nearly 100% humidity.

Like you said Razor, you know of plenty 99+ GT's who can operate without pinging on 87 octane. That's GREAT! You happen to get good quality gas along with good weather conditions. I know of MULTIPLE 99+ GT's in my area, who can run just fine on 87 octane without pinging, but I know of several 99+ GT's who experience pinging on their BONE STOCK cars & in order to avoid the pinging and get maximum performance, they HAVE to run 89/93 octane - especially if they don't want a new shortblock after 60,000 miles.

Like Silver said, Ford's fuel recommendations are just THAT, recommendation...I assumed you knew that they recommend what the AVERAGE GT can run on without pinging.

Razor, you are simply looking through everything both Silver & I have said. Come back and read this thread 2 months from now and you'll say damn...I guess I f'ed up huh???
Old 09-08-2004, 01:46 AM
Razor19
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

Okay Razor, let me try clarifying you one last time.

It seems like everyone else understands what I said; what I clearly meant.

SilverGTV8 & I, know of people who OWN BONE STOCK 99+ GT's who run 87 octane and experience pinging. You are right, their cars CAN operate on 87 octane - NOBODY is arguing and saying the car will not travel down the road on 87 octane. BUT, in order for them to operate their car WITHOUT PINGING they NEED to run 89/93 octane. Unfortunetly, our climate in the North East is VERY humid. Your 100 degree days are NOTHING compared to our 90 degree days with nearly 100% humidity.

Like you said Razor, you know of plenty 99+ GT's who can operate without pinging on 87 octane. That's GREAT! You happen to get good quality gas along with good weather conditions. I know of MULTIPLE 99+ GT's in my area, who can run just fine on 87 octane without pinging, but I know of several 99+ GT's who experience pinging on their BONE STOCK cars & in order to avoid the pinging and get maximum performance, they HAVE to run 89/93 octane - especially if they don't want a new shortblock after 60,000 miles.

Like Silver said, Ford's fuel recommendations are just THAT, recommendation...I assumed you knew that they recommend what the AVERAGE GT can run on without pinging.

Razor, you are simply looking through everything both Silver & I have said. Come back and read this thread 2 months from now and you'll say damn...I guess I f'ed up huh???
"You are right, their cars CAN operate on 87 octane - NOBODY is arguing and saying the car will not travel down the road on 87 octane" There ya go thats all you had to say. What you said at the begginning was not that and that was the whole point I was getting at, that the car can operate on 87 octane and does not have to have higher than 87 octane to operate. Not quite sure what you meant in your last paragraph but I certainly wont be saying in 2 month that I guess I f'ed up.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:28 AM
Monty
2nd Gear Member

I just wanted to say

this is humorous!!!!!! really. Like um.......i dont konw....razor saying something.....then saying it again.....then saying it one more time.......wiat thats not funny.......just freakin boring and a waste of thread space!

Quick Reply: New Engine