4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Forged Parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 01:39 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Default Forged Parts

Hey all,

I am curious about exactly what parts are considered forged internals (I think it's pistons and rings...maybe heads?). A forged crank is different, yes? I know this is the process for getting some serious hp, but am not sure of the specifics. Does the 03/04 cobra have a forged crank? I know the mach 1 does. How big of a job is forging the interals? Is there a better process (like just putting a new engine in?)?
Old 12-21-2006, 01:46 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Forged Parts

Forged Crankshaft, Connecting Rods, and pistons. The rings may be a moly instead of cast iron if you are going forged with everything else.

Forging the guts does not make horsepower, it greatly increases the ability to support massive horsepower... like huge cams, big boost or lots of nitrous. The 03/04 Cobras have forged everything, (pistons, rods, crank).

Whether you want to forge your engine or get one ready to go is a matter of how much $ you are going to want to spend and how much work you can do yourself.

Hope I helped some
Old 12-21-2006, 01:47 PM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

Forged internals would include, pistons, rings, rods, bearings, and crank. I've never heard of a forged head, but at the same time there is alot I haven't heard of. 03/04 Cobra's come with a fullybuilt bottom-end rated at, I believe, 700 WHP. So, they do have a forged crank. And on Mach 1's the autos do not have a forged crank, as to where the manuals do.

Edit: Monkeydude beat me to it.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:50 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

So with the Mach 1 (manual) you'd still want to forge pistons, rings, rods, bearings - basically everything other than the crank (if you're going with a s/c and a lot of boost) if you're going the 700 HP route?
Old 12-21-2006, 04:48 PM
yellowgtstang18
4th Gear Member

how much does it cost to get all forged parts...??
Old 12-21-2006, 05:02 PM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

Id say from 1500-3000 depending on what kind. Then theres installation
Old 12-21-2006, 05:07 PM
phantom1
1st Gear Member

Yes. Simply because you want 700 horses. The stock 4v internals can handle, arguably, 500-600 hp safely (some say you can push it to 650-700, but it depends on who you ask). Beyond 600 your gonna want to start thinkin about aftermarket forged internals.

I believe that the Mach 1 4v is the same exact engine to include internals as the Cobra, minus the blower and supporting blower stuff of course.
ORIGINAL: rainydayracing

So with the Mach 1 (manual) you'd still want to forge pistons, rings, rods, bearings - basically everything other than the crank (if you're going with a s/c and a lot of boost) if you're going the 700 HP route?
Old 12-21-2006, 05:12 PM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: phantom1

Yes. Simply because you want 700 horses. The stock 4v internals can handle, arguably, 500-600 hp safely (some say you can push it to 650-700, but it depends on who you ask). Beyond 600 your gonna want to start thinkin about aftermarket forged internals.

I believe that the Mach 1 4v is the same exact engine to include internals as the Cobra, minus the blower and supporting blower stuff of course.
ORIGINAL: rainydayracing

No, The Mach 1 (manual) shares just the crank with the Cobra, the auto doesnt have anything forged.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:35 PM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

ok im not tryin to hijack his thread or anything but what does a built bottom end mean. ive heard of it and how the cobra has a fully built bottom end but i have no clue what that means. and i wanna do that to my GT cuz i have some plans for it in the future
Old 12-21-2006, 07:20 PM
idcoocheimonster
3rd Gear Member

Built bottom end consists of the above said items. The crank, rods, and pistons are all a part of the bottom end of the car. The top end would be all the heads, cams, and intake manifold. To have a built bottom end you either have your pistons, rods, and crank replaced with forged or billet parts. With our GT's the car will hold up to ~450 WHP (~500 at the crank). Most Forged kits hold up to ~750ish WHP (~875 at the crank). And billet assemblies from what I've heard hold ~1000+ WHP.

Remember that with GT's the hold-up on power making isn't just the weak bottom end. Our heads flow like crap, there is not one company to make a differently designed head for the 4.6L engine. Even the big names in aftermarket heads, just offer a reworked PI head as a replacement. The man who designs a head that can flow 300 CFM on a 4.6L engine will be RICH!

Quick Reply: Forged Parts