4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

No ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 02:43 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: No ABS?

NO ABS ON AN 04 WTF!?!?!
Old 01-03-2007, 03:05 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CobraStangGT16

I actually went out and tested mine!!! LOL.I'm pretty sure I have ABS, but I have no traction button behind my shifter? Is that a possibility? ABS with no trac control?

Yeah I got on a very open toll road through the countryside and slammed on it at 65. Took about 2-3 seconds to come to a perfect stop, and no skidding whatsoever. It was sure as hell fun, but it felt kinda weird under the pedal. It felt like the pedal was fighting back and thenletting go like. It repeated like 3 times until it stopped.

Go ahead, find a nice empty road and test them out. That also helps in knowing how far your car has to stop in case of an emergency at such speeds. It's helped me quite a few times, when I need to slam on them.
your car is going to vibrate like **** the next time you're on the freeway
Old 01-03-2007, 03:09 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

dont worry your not missin out much by not having TC, although it is a nice safety check if you wanna play a bit in the wet. the ABS tho, that really sucks.. i was almost sure that all cars after like 97 had to have ABS?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:11 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mvr

dont worry your not missin out much by not having TC, although it is a nice safety check if you wanna play a bit in the wet. the ABS tho, that really sucks.. i was almost sure that all cars after like 97 had to have ABS?
when i give the throttle a quick little taperoo in the rain with t/c on it instantly locks my rear tires up
Old 01-03-2007, 03:17 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

I actually went out and tested mine!!! LOL.I'm pretty sure I have ABS, but I have no traction button behind my shifter? Is that a possibility? ABS with no trac control?

Yeah I got on a very open toll road through the countryside and slammed on it at 65. Took about 2-3 seconds to come to a perfect stop, and no skidding whatsoever. It was sure as hell fun, but it felt kinda weird under the pedal. It felt like the pedal was fighting back and thenletting go like. It repeated like 3 times until it stopped.

Go ahead, find a nice empty road and test them out. That also helps in knowing how far your car has to stop in case of an emergency at such speeds. It's helped me quite a few times, when I need to slam on them.
Nahhh that was months ago. Nothing happened to my car. Why do you say that, jw?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:20 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

Nahhh that was months ago. Nothing happened to my car. Why do you say that, jw?
i was thinkin when your pedal was "fighting back" you were flat spotting your tires, but i guess not.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:25 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Just go to your back wheel and check for an extra cable, one for parking break, one for ABS.... Simple your done!

Old 01-03-2007, 01:47 PM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

Step#1 open manual that came with the car. Step#2 find the page with the fuse box diagrahm. Step#3 go see if you have the fuse for ABS. Its that simple. Or if you are on snow and your brakes do not lock up you have abs. I know that it is safer but I hate the feeling I get with ABS when it is kicking on. You are wanting to come to a stop but it is impossible to keep the brake pedal down because it is pushing it back up, I hate that.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

Everyone that has ABS should get on the brakes just to get used to them. You have to learn to let the ABS help you during a sudden stop. Alot of people try to pump ABS brakes like they used to with old fashion brakes, and it prevents them from doing their job. ABS has saved my *** more than once.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:14 AM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

I thought that I might just add here that both of my '97s (traction control wasn't an option back then)have ABS, but on one of them it doesn't work (and I don't get an "idiot light" warning me of it)... This is why you may still want to check for the ABS-test next to the fuse box or look at your brakes for signs of ABS... I still (and several others) think that ABS is pretty much standard in all cars these days (I will have to check on this to be sure)... At least if you find that you have ABS and that it just simply doesn't work, you can fix it or have it fixed. It is actually a dang good thing to have...it gives youthe ability tokeep control of your car during hard braking/evasive maneuvering (butI am sure thatI don't have to even say that).

Quick Reply: No ABS?