4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

EXHAUST DRONE AND SOLUTIONS? ALSO SOME INTERESTING FLOW DATA FOR SOME POPULAR MUFFLERS

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 07:21 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default EXHAUST DRONE AND SOLUTIONS? ALSO SOME INTERESTING FLOW DATA FOR SOME POPULAR MUFFLERS

I have a PYPES catted X-pipe and catback with PYPES Race Pro mufflers which are supposed to be their quietest. I get drone around 2000 rpm which seems to be common. Has anyone found a solution? I am considering a set of Dynomax mufflers as I have used them and though a bit loud I don't recall any drone.
Here is some test data on 4 common mufflers concerning flow, not sure if there is a relationship to drone!
1. Dynomax Super turbo-268cfm
2. Flowmaster 2 chamber-249cfm
3. Borla Turbo mufflers-373cfm
4. Hooker Aero chamber-324cfm
5. Hooker Max Flow-521cfm which is equal to a straight 2.5" pipe!
Anyone using the Hookers?
The Hookers are available from Summit for $59.95 for either style. The Dynomax are $39.95 at Jegs. Borla is available at either Summit or jegs for arouns $111.00. I added silencing tips to my system and that did not get rid of the drone, they do not restrict flow either so they are more for looks. However the drone must be done away with. I see no room to add a glasspack to act as a resonator as I have done with other vehicles. So it will have to be up to the mufflers. Any help would be appreciated or/and experience with the mufflers listed. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:49 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: EXHAUST DRONE AND SOLUTIONS? ALSO SOME INTERESTING FLOW DATA FOR SOME POPULAR MUFFLERS

Drone-FTW
Old 01-18-2007, 07:52 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Default RE: EXHAUST DRONE AND SOLUTIONS? ALSO SOME INTERESTING FLOW DATA FOR SOME POPULAR MUFFLERS

ugh.. you picked a lot of mufflers that aren't very common. are you stuck on using only the ones listed? pretty sure the flowmasters will have drone, they are known for it.

where did you find that test data? and how much air does an actual 4.6 2v put out, is it actually restricted by any of those?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:11 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

The flow info is from www.broaderperformance.com I have no idea how much my 4.6 flows at WOT but I added that flow info just as an interesting sidebar. Drone is the issue I am concerned with as a 2v will be slow with any and all bolt ons unless you consider a SC a bolt on! Then a Hooker that flows 521cfm would probably be the best choice. Several other muflers were tested for flow but I just chose 5 that most who have been around V8's would be familiar with. I do realize the Mustang crowd is a follow the leader group but am hoping there are a few who walk their own path. I chose the PYPES Race Pro muffler because it was the quietest they offered and it cost me a $40. premium to eget them instead of the standard 10 out of 10 in loudness. I neither want, need nor like loud cars. Same goes for loud stereos if it matters.
Should this thread fizzle or become a whipping post I will go to the mature 4.6 owners and post what they have to say. Thanks but try to offer info on the solution to drone please. If you use a different muffler simply post the results as I requested, loudness and if they drone at a certain rpm range. Thank You. Mark
Old 01-18-2007, 08:12 PM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

Drone-FTW
+1...i like exhaust drone...makes sure you don't forget that you actually HAVE an exhaust note...if you don't like it just crank up the stereo!..lol...sorry i didn't help much

good luck
Old 01-18-2007, 08:21 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I have the magnaflows (not magnapack) with a catted X and they have very little, if any, drone. I got them for this exact reason, didn't want drone and didn't want obnoxiously loud. other people with magnaflow say the same thing, quiet when
Old 01-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Azure
2nd Gear Member

Redass, I just installed my Magnaflows (non-Packs) yesterday with the stock midpipe and I have a pretty noticeable drone. Did your midpipe make a difference in the drone?

To the OP - if you want to elimnate or at least suppress drone, do what I'm considering and invest in some Dynomat for your interior. It'll help eliminate the drone and road noise too.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

hmm, I dunno, I had the midpipe before I ever put on the magnaflows. but going from some loud straight-thru bullet-type mufflers to the magnaflows made a huge difference in reducing the drone.

maybe it's all relative and I just think I have no drone cause of how much i had before. [&:]
Old 01-18-2007, 08:49 PM
blstoff
2nd Gear Member

I chose to go w/ 3 chamber mufflers so it wouldn't be so loud w/ my o/r/x pipe . soundsreal good & no drone .
Old 01-18-2007, 08:54 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

I've got o/r mac prochamber - you def hear it when you get on it - but its flowing through the steeda catback, which is engineered not to drone - i LOVE that, you can hear it as long as you're getting on it, but it doesnt drone while cruisin - and its not obnoxiously loud, but its really deep

Quick Reply: EXHAUST DRONE AND SOLUTIONS? ALSO SOME INTERESTING FLOW DATA FOR SOME POPULAR MUFFLERS