4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Trans-Am VS. Mustang GT

Old 10-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Trans-Am VS. Mustang GT

ORIGINAL: Dan02GT

ORIGINAL: Obsol3te

And Dan, why not go for a nice foxbody?
Cheap, light and easy to mod.
[sm=smiley20.gif]
I've thought about getting out of my car and buying something older. I'm not a fan of Fox's, but I like the look of yours, so if you feel like selling it to me....or giving it to me....

I suppose I could always keep my 02 and pick up a old LX and have fun with that...
Not hard to get the look of my car...
Hell, if ya buy one I'll sell you my rims for 200-300 bux(all four)
Insides are chippin like mad, still shine very nicely But i'd rather have NEW rims...
And to see if they can make a Lighter form of that thar rim too...

17x9 Cobra R that's actually light would be Primo.

Anyhoo, just get a Fiberglass hood w/ 4" Cowl, Saleen wing w/ 3rd brake light and lower it a bit and Wallah.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:43 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NicksMeanGT

I still never seen any expensive f-bodies....19K for a brand new 340hp Z28.....oh well, let't not open up that can of worms.
haha buddy, i dont know what fantasy land you live in, but i do consider the prices here expensive. To quote new-cars.com the BASE Price for the 2002 camaros were "Base List Price $18,455 to $33,590 " And i've seen fully loaded 02' ss's new listing for $39,000 (vert, auto, slp). If i was a chevy guy i'd take a vette for the few thousand more. Considering that i can buy a brand spanking new 390hp s/c 04' cobra on "A" plan for under $27,000, them camaros are expensive. maybe i'm just a smart buyer. but the CHEAPEST ls1 f-body that i've ever seen advertised here was a 99 z28 w/ 60k miles and auto for no where under $10k. Dispute it all you want but that is a major reason why the f-body failed...too much money and IMO ****ty looks. PERIOD

Have a nice day

Nick
Runs to window, glances out, wipes brow, shew, at least my car is still there. I thought I was dreaming. I actually bought mine for $9,200. BS you say? I have pictars!!! Besides, a WS6 is perhaps the best looking muscle car of all time...

Besides, you actually quoted a lower price than I for a brand new low 13 to high 12 second Z28. If anyone spends $30+k on a SS Camaro, they're not the sharpest tool in the shed. Hell, Dan even passed up a SS for $16k with low low miles. Believe what you want, but the truth is a different story. LT1's are starting to become the 5.oooo of the GM world. Cheap to buy and cheaper to mod.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:28 AM
NicksMeanGT
2nd Gear Member

I actually bought mine for $9,200. BS you say?
what did you get for $9,200? You might have got a steal...i dont know. just from what sells (or doesn't sell) around HERE, you might be able to get a 98 w/ over 80k miles and auto for that price. I think that they ARE overpriced here and there are better deals to be had. man, dont be so quick to jump the gun and dispute what i say. I never said BS. I said numerous times that the prices "here" are expensive and too high. Hence, in my general vicinity.... Please understand my post before you reply.

Besides, a WS6 is perhaps the best looking muscle car of all time...
I've said before in other threads that i think the ws6 ram air is the only good looking f-body and i think i even called it "beautiful" before...don't put words in my mouth.

Besides, you actually quoted a lower price than I for a brand new low 13 to high 12 second Z28.
The price i quoted was for a base V6 up to base SS. So z28 would be somewhere toward the middle of these prices:"Base List Price $18,455 to $33,590 " And 12 sec. stock?...c'mon buddy i've not seen many of them do that. You can also say that we can now get an 04' 5-speed gt for under $20k and i've seen them pull off mid to high 13s w/ excellent driver-STOCK. you can't say that most z28s do 12s...nor can I say that most gts do 13s b/c they just don't.

Hell, Dan even passed up a SS for $16k with low low miles.
yes, and i know he deeply regrets that. I haven't seen ANY 2002 SS's going under $20k.

Believe what you want, but the truth is a different story.
So what IS the truth if they weren't too expensive and for the most part an ugly "wedge" on wheels? was it just that people were buying TOO many f-bodies and GM couldn't keep up w/ the demand so they just QUIT making them???

LT1's are starting to become the 5.oooo of the GM world. Cheap to buy and cheaper to mod.
LMAO...did i even say anything about LT1's???

Nick
Old 10-10-2004, 04:33 AM
OICW
3rd Gear Member

I guess the only Mustang (other than the Cobra R) that can beat LS1s stock is the 03+ blown Cobra. The blown Cobra would probably beat the LS1s dollar for dollar modding too. MM&FF put a Kenne Bell twin-screw blower on the Cobra motor, along with some tuning of the fuel/air ratio and timing, and also mid-length headers put out over 700 hp. I don't think and LS1 can do that without mega bucks.

About the new Vettes. The last time I hear the new LS7 Z06 will also be a 6.0 (or maybe overbored to 6.1 or so), with about 500 hp. But wasn't there some special top of the line version? that's the one that's suppose to have the C5-R racing block with 427 ci. It's rumored to have well over 600 hp, so it's in the exotic league, up there with the Ford GT and Carrera GT (and maybe even challenge an Enzo).
Old 10-10-2004, 05:51 AM

an 02 Z28 based for around 22 grand. 22 grand for 305 advertised hp, a 6 sp and mid 13s.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:12 AM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

"I guess the only Mustang (other than the Cobra R) that can beat LS1s stock is the 03+ blown Cobra."

The mach1 is very capable of beating an ls1 in the 1/4.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:05 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

what did you get for $9,200? You might have got a steal...i dont know. just from what sells (or doesn't sell) around HERE, you might be able to get a 98 w/ over 80k miles and auto for that price.
I got mine with 60k for $9,200.

I think that they ARE overpriced here and there are better deals to be had.
This coming from someone who spent $20k+ on a 260hp, RWD, V8, pony car that runs 14's.

I've said before in other threads that i think the ws6 ram air is the only good looking f-body and i think i even called it "beautiful" before...don't put words in my mouth.
Yes, well, according to yon post hur, which I shall now quote, note the quotes >>>>"and IMO ****ty looks. PERIOD." I didn't put words in your mouth, I quoted them. See the quotes?

You can also say that we can now get an 04' 5-speed gt for under $20k and i've seen them pull off mid to high 13s w/ excellent driver-STOCK. you can't say that most z28s do 12s...nor can I say that most gts do 13s b/c they just don't.
I've never heard of a stock GT running mid 13's, but if you've seen it, I guess it's true.

yes, and i know he deeply regrets that. I haven't seen ANY 2002 SS's going under $20k.
You haven't looked hard enough. Have you even looked at all? Why would you? You do have a MeanGT.

So what IS the truth if they weren't too expensive and for the most part an ugly "wedge" on wheels? was it just that people were buying TOO many f-bodies and GM couldn't keep up w/ the demand so they just QUIT making them???
That could very well be. Who wouldn't want a sports car that could at least run 13's with a toddler driving it?

LMAO...did i even say anything about LT1's???
That was actually referring to content throughout the post, which was kinda what this thread was about. It had nothing to do with your comments.

Nick

"It doesn't matter what your name is!"

ORIGINAL: Mach1

"I guess the only Mustang (other than the Cobra R) that can beat LS1s stock is the 03+ blown Cobra."

The mach1 is very capable of beating an ls1 in the 1/4.
Yes it is, but all things being equal, i.e. Drivers, the Mach 1 will lose. I think that's what he was referring to.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:01 PM
NicksMeanGT
2nd Gear Member

This coming from someone who spent $20k+ on a 260hp, RWD, V8, pony car that runs 14's.
Actually professor ls1, i got my 1999 5 speed gt w/ 27,000 miles on the odo w/ a 5 year 125,000 miles full coverage warranty for $10,000. (cough, cough, under his breath...putting words in my mouth) LMAO at least when something breaks on my car its not coming outta my pocket anymore. and yes i've pulled a 13.9 at the track at my first and only nite there w/ approximately $500 in money i spent on performace mods, considering the brace and flows were on my car when bought. SO, i got a 13 sec car w/ 1/2 the miles as yours and with peace of mind of warranty for $10,500...OKAY??

Yes, well, according to yon post hur, which I shall now quote, note the quotes >>>>"and IMO ****ty looks. PERIOD." I didn't put words in your mouth, I quoted them. See the quotes?
Yes, i said ****ty looks...overall the f-bodies are horrid looking. save for 69 camaro and ws6 ram air. So, you're gonna justify your opinion that f-bodies look good just because of one single ws6 car. hmmmm. 1967-2002....oh yah the ws6 looks good...hell they all look good...

You haven't looked hard enough. Have you even looked at all? Why would you? You do have a MeanGT.
I wouldn't buy an f-body for nothing. I have loyalty if you will, to ford, since they employ 3 of my family members here in south chicago. You are a riot, you cocky dude. I did look...hell i had to help my buddy set a price and sell his 2002 slp ss. So go ahead call me a liar once again...

That was actually referring to content throughout the post, which was kinda what this thread was about. It had nothing to do with your comments.
O-TAY

P.S. Thank you 2000si... for setting that straight. c'mon 98ls1...why won't you get in a **** war w/ him?...hell, his words are contradicting yours right??? 12 secs. my **** buddy.

Nick
Old 10-10-2004, 02:16 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Actually professor ls1, i got my 1999 5 speed gt w/ 27,000 miles on the odo w/ a 5 year 125,000 miles full coverage warranty for $10,000. (cough, cough, under his breath...putting words in my mouth) LMAO at least when something breaks on my car its not coming outta my pocket anymore. and yes i've pulled a 13.9 at the track at my first and only nite there w/ approximately $500 in money i spent on performace mods, considering the brace and flows were on my car when bought. SO, i got a 13 sec car w/ 1/2 the miles as yours and with peace of mind of warranty for $10,500...OKAY??
*Goes to get cookie*

Yes, i said ****ty looks...overall the f-bodies are horrid looking. save for 69 camaro and ws6 ram air. So, you're gonna justify your opinion that f-bodies look good just because of one single ws6 car. hmmmm. 1967-2002....oh yah the ws6 looks good...hell they all look good...
IMHO, they all look good. I just think the WS6 looks best. Something about putting words in peoples mouths?

I wouldn't buy an f-body for nothing. I have loyalty if you will, to ford, since they employ 3 of my family members here in south chicago.
I pretty much new you were true blue loyal. I could tell by your post. Unlike you, I would actually buy another brand car. Such as a Ford.

You are a riot, you cocky dude. I did look...hell i had to help my buddy set a price and sell his 2002 slp ss. So go ahead call me a liar once again...
Call you one, ask you if you even looked. I guess that's the same.

P.S. Thank you 2000si... for setting that straight. c'mon 98ls1...why won't you get in a **** war w/ him?...hell, his words are contradicting yours right???
What? Do you need help debating me? Well, that's a rhetorical question.

12 secs. my **** buddy.
*Cough* Turn head to the left *Cough*

I guess they don't dyno over 300hp either? It's all lies!!!

Will they all? No. Can they, yes. That's kinda why I said high 12 low 13's...buy hey, I'm sure you missed that part.

Nick
Clever, honestly.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:20 PM
DUB 6
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Big5.0.13.7sec.

Ok so I know this is probably going to go into this whole big debate on the trans am blah blah blah horse **** vs mustangs... but I HAVE to share my story.

LOL... So last night I was in the passenger seat of my g/f's car which is a slightly modified 97' GT Covert. when we approached a trans-am (not sure of year.... but newer) and the older guy driving was going super slow like 30 in a 40. Proably to **** off the "mustang ford lover" behind him... LOL. Ok so we get to the stop light where we are both turning left. (Mind you this is on a back "country" road it's around 12 or so.... so there is no traffic. also the whole time when he was doing 30... in the 40 mph zone... he was revving his engine... SOUNDED LIKE ABSOLUTE *SS.) Well when the light turned green he, he turned and then took off.....wasnt much. When my g/f made the turn she also put it to the floor as she shifted into second she wasnt far behind him... and he wasnt gaining. anymore.... Im going to have to say this was disappointing to trans-am's I couldnt believe this car was moving so slow... and it sounded LIKE a go fast mufflered little ricer car... Like SH*T. Maybe it was the driver maybe it was the car, maybe it was the sweet yellow neon under the purple body... LOL But either way when a GT with flowmasters and and fenderwall intake w/ K&N filter keeps up with a car like that i have to laugh and ask whats what with pontiac... i mean a 350 should SMOKE a 289.... Yeah maybe another time buddy. SWEET NEONS! LOL[sm=sorry.gif][sm=sorry.gif] No trans am winning today!

FORD MUSTANGS RULE THE RACING WORLD.....[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]
LOL LOL LOL LOL
Great story...... I wish i had dreams like that...LOL...Just joking man.....You probably ran into a V-6 bird with exhaust..V-6 Birds come with 200 horsepower...so that's probably the reason you kept up..