4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Trans-Am VS. Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Big5.0.13.7sec.
2nd Gear Member

Default Trans-Am VS. Mustang GT

Ok so I know this is probably going to go into this whole big debate on the trans am blah blah blah horse **** vs mustangs... but I HAVE to share my story.

LOL... So last night I was in the passenger seat of my g/f's car which is a slightly modified 97' GT Covert. when we approached a trans-am (not sure of year.... but newer) and the older guy driving was going super slow like 30 in a 40. Proably to **** off the "mustang ford lover" behind him... LOL. Ok so we get to the stop light where we are both turning left. (Mind you this is on a back "country" road it's around 12 or so.... so there is no traffic. also the whole time when he was doing 30... in the 40 mph zone... he was revving his engine... SOUNDED LIKE ABSOLUTE *SS.) Well when the light turned green he, he turned and then took off.....wasnt much. When my g/f made the turn she also put it to the floor as she shifted into second she wasnt far behind him... and he wasnt gaining. anymore.... Im going to have to say this was disappointing to trans-am's I couldnt believe this car was moving so slow... and it sounded LIKE a go fast mufflered little ricer car... Like SH*T. Maybe it was the driver maybe it was the car, maybe it was the sweet yellow neon under the purple body... LOL But either way when a GT with flowmasters and and fenderwall intake w/ K&N filter keeps up with a car like that i have to laugh and ask whats what with pontiac... i mean a 350 should SMOKE a 289.... Yeah maybe another time buddy. SWEET NEONS! LOL[sm=sorry.gif][sm=sorry.gif] No trans am winning today!

FORD MUSTANGS RULE THE RACING WORLD.....[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]
LOL LOL LOL LOL
Old 10-05-2004, 03:39 PM
dustinpolcz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Trans-Am VS. Mustang GT

Trans-Am = WS6

Firebird = V6

Trans Am vs a GT means the GT is smoked, ws6's smoke new z28's. better make sure of the car first.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:46 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

[sm=angrymail.gif] there is no way a slow *** 96-98 stang is going to even keep up with a 98+ trans am i think you might of raced a firebird or something or a really poor running lt1 car but that is just a fact not a opinon and apparently you've never rode in a 98+ t/a or even a good running lt1 and trust me i know how the 96-98 stang runs cause i have had two and one was modded fairly well but it still was slow
Old 10-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

There is no way even a 96-98 GT will keep up with a poorly running LT1 at that, nevermind LS1.

You ran into a crappy *** driver or a V6. Don't diss the cubes & GM power.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:42 PM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

A STOCK 96-98 GT will not keep up with a stock LT1. It might have been a V6....LS1 not a chance. I've finally got my car to run with stock LT1's. Unless you have a good list of mods, the LT1 will beat a stock 97 GT.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Big5.0.13.7sec.
2nd Gear Member

DAMN.... jump down my throat... LOL [sm=shutup.gif]

Sh*t i was just telling what I saw. I mean you can throw facts around and I understand that the lt1 and the ws6 are pretty B.A. [sm=youreright.gif]

But can you hate anymore on mustangs?

Quick ? for ya.... what is the diff b/t the LS1 and the LT1..

You guys are proably right.. but it was def. not a V6.. it took off too quick for a V6.

And I know what it is like to run against... the l know what it is like to run against these cars in my car.... and i smoke them! Thanks a lot!
Old 10-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Sean
3rd Gear Member

It could have very well been a 6, the 3800 series II is more stout than people give them credit for.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:12 PM
MustangChic03
1st Gear Member

Ok. Here is my take! The 97 GT would DEFFINATELY win!!!

In all reality, what ever the other car was, it wasn't faster than mine. He took the turn first and decided to take off. As soon as I noticed what he was up to, I did the same. (Yes I am the chick driving the car in this scenario). I am betting it was the Formula. No offense, but I don't think Formulas are all that great. My mom has one. I know that my car runs better than my moms. But anyway, to each their own! The true test would have been at the strip, not at a stop light when I didn't know that he was going to take off. Thanks for all of the info on Birds though!! I love to learn more about cars!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 05:40 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

It could have very well been a 6, the 3800 series II is more stout than people give them credit for.
true! GMs 3.8s are strong engines.

if the guy was revving and it sounded like rice...it was prolly broken and maybe that's why he did it...maybe it was a guy trying to diagnose a problem and he might not even have been aware that there was a stang behind him.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Sean
3rd Gear Member

If your moms Formula has an LT1 it must be running bad, and if it is an LS1 two cylinders must be out for you to think it is not that great.I am not trying to **** you off but, there is no way you have ever rode or even driven an LT1 or LS1 if you think a 97 GT even comes close in performace?

Quick Reply: Trans-Am VS. Mustang GT