4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

!HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: !HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

ORIGINAL: Chopper

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!!!!These people are going to rip you off!!!!When a car lot says "they will fix this" if you buy the car,then why wasn't it fixed before it went on the lot?They are hoping against hope that an "unsuspecting" or "trusting"individual will come in and fall in love with the POS and won't care about the "noises".You already have questions about this car or you wouldn't have written in to the Forum,so listen to your survival instincts and RUN LIKE HE11.The carfax query only shows insurance and heavy repair history IF the companies report it to someone.There are to many Mustangs out there to waste your time and money on this one,keep looking.Oh,BTW, get your deposit money back the reason you didn't but the car was THEIR mechanical defect reasons not yours.[:'(]
You raise some very good points. Why they didn't fix it to begin with is a good one. Are you speaking from experience?

I have a feeling that the seller's son drove it because he currently owns a GT -- same exact color. The son also drives cars from the lot home or whatever.

Everyone, thank you for your advice. I have until Saturday morning to make a decision about this car. So until then, I will keep reading additional posts.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:12 PM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

I agree with everyone on this......DON'T BUY IT! There are sooooo many mustangs out there that are well kept and running fine. Just look around some more or you will regret it. I know it's hard because getting a new car is exciting, but you have to think about the long run. I'm glad I did an extensive search...my car runs perfectly and I got exactly what I wanted.[sm=trust_me.gif][sm=closed.gif]
Old 10-08-2004, 05:32 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Leadfoot

I paid a local Ford dealership to check it out bumper to bumper. From reading all the posts, it seems you don't have confidence in them. They said nothing showed up on the computer indicating that there was anything wrong with the car.

Does that mean Ford mechanics aren't good or trustworthy? If I can't trust a Ford dealership, who can I trust?[8D]
If all they did was check it for codes...I'd just laugh at them. Honestly, it doesn't sound like a good buy. I'd look for something else.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:36 AM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

yeah that is not that good of a deal either see i had a 97 gt at one time that i got for 7500 it wasent a vert but it did have perfet leather int. and perfect body and paint with 62k miles one owner none smoker go some where else
Old 10-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangpower96

yeah that is not that good of a deal either see i had a 97 gt at one time that i got for 7500 it wasent a vert but it did have perfet leather int. and perfect body and paint with 62k miles one owner none smoker go some where else
So what is your story? What went wrong with your car?

The car won't be ready until Monday because the mechanic said one of the gears had to be replaced.

What else could go wrong with the car? The engine and transmission is fine.[&:]
Old 10-09-2004, 01:06 PM
fullthrottle
1st Gear Member

I don't want to rain on your parade, but, I've been a mechanic for 24yrs and I have only seen a rearend with a hole in it twice in my whole career. Do you have any idea what it takes to put a hole in that thing? even just in the cover ! (which is where I saw them) it takes a lot of force. Don't let your heart make the decision on this car, use your head. There are a lot of mustangs out there.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:22 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I got my rearend rebuilt by a mustang shop in st. louis for like 200 bucks. They put all new bearings in and reshimed the rear end (as the gay *** ford dealer around here screwed it all up). They also put synthetic in it.

If there is a hole in the rear end, I would crawl under there before purchase and make sure they didnt just weld it up. That would be something a shady dealer would do.

BTW a entire 8.8 assembly brand new is about 700 bucks, assuming you can install it yourself.

Also BTW, you do realise that for a few more thousand dollars you could have a 99+ with lower miles on it right? I saw a 02 the other day with 18k (wow!) for 12,200!!!! This was on a used ford lot. A 99 (so long as you dont have to have a vert) with like 50k should be around 10 grand if not a little less now. Way more power for close to the same cash.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:34 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

ya, dealers will tell you anything to sell u the car, wen i first looked at my car it was running really ruff, and they said it was cuz of all the performance equip on it (exhaust) and a 02 sensor was bad and they wuld fix that, it took three times for them to acctually replace the o2 sensor and it still ran ruff, aand they jus sed it was cuz of the high performance, so we stupidly bought the car anyway thinkn wed jus fix it, and well wen i did my headswap i found that the timming was off two marks!
Old 10-09-2004, 11:44 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Some days I would just like to just smack my husband! This is one of them. I pass on the information I learn from this forum and it's in one ear and out the other.

He told me that there wasn't literally a hole in the differential. Somehow someone opened the thing and probably couldn't do whatever he wanted to do and didn't put it together correctly. My husband said that someone put some type of sealant or caulking around it and the differential fluid leaked out.

The most recent thing I was told is that a gear or gears need to be changed because the bearings was not the cause of the constant noise.
I am confused about differential fluid because I went to the website "How stuff works" and there was nothing about differential fluid in the diagram. Where does that stuff go?

Would anybody please tell me where to learn about this part of the car (website would be good) or explain what the fluid does.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:09 AM
fullthrottle
1st Gear Member

Try this, if you don't get what you need here I'll go through it for you.
http://web.ask.com/redir?bpg=http%3a...html&qte=0&o=0

Quick Reply: !HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT