4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

!HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 02:31 AM
fullthrottle
1st Gear Member

Default RE: !HELP ASAP - Rear Differential on 97 GT

BTW, I don't think it mentioned anything about the oil, but it takes gear lube which is 80/90 weight or 75/90 and it comes in synthetic also. The way you change the fluid is by removing the rear cover and letting it drain out, clean the cover and put some sillicone sealer on the rim and re-install it. To fill it, on the other side of the diff (the side facing the front of the car) there will be a plug on the side with a square hole in it just big enough for an extension to fit in it, use a ratchet and extension and unscrew it, then just pour the gearlube in until it starts to come back out of the hole, then put the plug back in and you're all set. If you want to get real technical you can check your manual and see exacly how much oil it takes and what the torque specs are for the plug, but I just do it the old fasion way like I said.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fullthrottle

Try this, if you don't get what you need here I'll go through it for you.
http://web.ask.com/redir?bpg=http%3a...html&qte=0&o=0
This is a great website!!! Much better than "howstuffworks". I will read it when I am not so tired.

I checked out the car and it sounds awesome. The car came with a 6-month warranty on the differential. I have the replaced bearings and the gears that were replaced. That stuff is really nasty strong smelling stuff!!!

All you guys who gave me advice, you are awesome!!! Thank you. Thank you.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

I checked out the car and it sounds awesome. The car came with a 6-month warranty on the differential. I have the replaced bearings and the gears that were replaced. That stuff is really nasty strong smelling stuff!!!

All you guys who gave me advice, you are awesome!!! Thank you. Thank you.
[/quote]
It sounds like you have already bought this ...car.You do realize that 99.999% of all cars on the road go their entire lives without having the rear end gears replaced ?I'm afraid this car will have many other problems throughout it's life judging from it's current history.If you are going to buy this...car,then get a warranty that covers a lot more than what they just repaired.The only thing that the warranty is covering is already brand new!!!Think about it.Like I said before,Iwould leave this car behind and keep looking,it has too many problems already.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:21 PM
MustangSally99
1st Gear Member

This thread has been very interesting. I have my 99 in the shop right now, and they are replacing stuff in the differential, and the cost with labor is around $750. I trust this mechanic, but now I hear you guys saying the diff shouldn't have gone bad in the first place, and that it shouldn't cost that much.

I originally took it in because it was stalling, and I thought it was the AIC or a vacuum leak, but when he looked at it he said it just needed cleaning, and now is running perfectly, so he only charged me $55. I asked him to test drive the car and listen to the rear (since it had been noisy for some time) and he said he thought it was the left wheel bearings, but when he took it down he found it was the differential.

I wanted to have the car in good shape to sell it, but it looks like I will have around $800 in repairs, and another $200 for the replacement of the black decal on the hood and a scrape on the rear bumper filled.

Anyone interested in a '99 Anniversiary Edition GT Convertible? I'll tell ya everything that's wrong with it *S*