4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How To: IAC Rev Mod (Fixing the hanging RPMs)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 12:59 AM
4v_mach1

I ordered a pre made one from ebay and it came with 3. Am I supposed to install all 3? Came with 2 soft bendable ones and 1 metal sheet metal type of material.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

Yes, the aluminum is the actual restrictor plate, and the 2 gaskets are for each side.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Romer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk

There is no "idle screw" on our cars--it is a throttle valve stop screw and is used to set the air bleed through the throttle body to a preset fixed amount, so that the IAC is operating at about 40% duty cycle when the engine idling at normal temperature an load.
Hey Cliffyk would the 40% duty cycle log as .4 ? whats the range? mine stays around .590 when datalogging the iac valve duty cycle.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:30 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Romer
Hey Cliffyk would the 40% duty cycle log as .4 ? whats the range? mine stays around .590 when datalogging the iac valve duty cycle.
.4 and 40% are the same value...

It will vary depending on how much air is bleeding past the throttle plate (this is set with the throttle stop screw). If the plate is more closed at idle the IAC duty cycle will be higher to pass more air, if it is more open the IAC d/c will be lower as it does not need to pass as much air.

IAC restrictors affect this as well, gasket or "pipe-cap" it doesn't matter, as they get more restrictive the PCM will increase the IAC duty cycle to pass enough air to maintain idle speed.

59% is a bit high, unless you have an aggressively sized restrictor, As the throttle stop screw wears of the years, or you have replaced the TB, or someone mucked about with the throttle stop screw, you might want to following the procedure for the initial setting...

Or if the engine idles OK and holds idle speed properly when the AC and other loads are applied, then don't worry about it...
Old 07-04-2011, 08:16 PM
4v_mach1

Car is idling at almost 1,000 rpm and the car sounds like it's misfiring at idle. Strange, but the RPM do drop quicker.. And the car sounds a bit different.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Did you disconnect the battery for 5-7 minutes while installing the restrictor plate? That will reset the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) and force the PCM to re-learn the idle air trims...
Old 10-12-2011, 02:41 PM
BigGary

just did the copper cap method with a 3/16" hole, took about 15 mins including the trip to Canadian Tire and a cruise around the block, its like driving a different car in concern of shifting, much smoother now, tranny even seems to go into gear alot smoother, not sure how or why, love it!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 AM
Grey-03-GT

Thumbs up also.....

another advantage to this mod is you wont be wearing on your clutch because the revs wont be floating...they will drop right away faster when you shift...not a big deal but still a plus....Has anyone failed state inspection with this mod in place? I usually change it back to stock on inspection day then replace it after...just curious...thx
Old 10-13-2011, 08:21 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

When I did this to my old 04 GT, I noticed that you have to "keep up" on the shifting. If you feel like crusing around very relaxed and take longer in between the shifts, the rpms will fall quick and not make the transition between gears as smooth.

You constantly have to shift on the quicker side that's all. Sometimes I take my sweet time shifting because I'm just in that mood.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Grey-03-GT
another advantage to this mod is you wont be wearing on your clutch because the revs wont be floating...they will drop right away faster when you shift...not a big deal but still a plus....Has anyone failed state inspection with this mod in place? I usually change it back to stock on inspection day then replace it after...just curious...thx
It could depend on the inspection process. When the restriction is placed in the IAC feed tube there is obviously less air flow available to the IAC--this is what makes the revs drop faster between shifts, and if the restriction is too great (the hole too small) there will be insufficient flow to support a proper idle.

However as this is all metered air (it "comes" from after the MAF) the PCM will within reason continue to properly adjust the AFR--so unless the tester is very sophisticated (it would have to know the proper deceleration rates/etc. for the vehicle being tested) it should not be bothered by the restriction mod.

Quick Reply: How To: IAC Rev Mod (Fixing the hanging RPMs)