4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New exaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Thompson 02

Default New exaust system?

So i have a completely stock 02 GT. And i want to get a new a whole new exaust system. Ill be getting done professionally done frome a shop by me. Only problem is the DAD. He thinks its a horrible thing to do to the car and that the stock exaust is already tuned to the car. Will my car be messed up in the long run if i go get new exaust professionlly installed. What are some reasons i can tell him to show that its not a bad thing for your car. Thats why its called an upgrade.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:58 PM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New exaust system?

well, you could sell him the "increase in mpg" line, which is never true 'cause you cant keep your foot out of it w/ the new sound+"power"
Old 01-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Butters
3rd Gear Member

Absolutely false. An exhaust will increase horsepower and flow. Along with giving you the nice muscle car sound a Mustang should have. Depending on the exhaust it can have different effects. Granted you have emissions I would buy a set of shorty headers, a catted X or H pipe (your choice), and a nice catback (again, your choice). Having them professionally installed is a good idea if your uneasy about doing it yourself. Headers are a pain anyways, I hear, a big pain. Your car will not be "messed up" by any means.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:01 PM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

Gas mileage will improve by like a half a gallon a mile??? Anytime you improve the airflow into and out of an engine you basically make it run more efficiently. An engine is like a pump, if you make the intake and the exhaust of a pump bigger (flow better) the pump will flow more of what its pumping. Also it'll make the car sound really good.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:07 PM
eventer289
3rd Gear Member

LOL, exhaust isn't going to screw your car up at all. Tell him it increases MPG. There is no need to professionally install it. Get some friends together that know what they are doing and order a pizza and buy a pack of pop to pay them lol. You would have to really screw somethingup to hurt your car with just an exhaust system.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:11 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thompson 02

So i have a completely stock 02 GT. And i want to get a new a whole new exaust system. Ill be getting done professionally done frome a shop by me. Only problem is the DAD. He thinks its a horrible thing to do to the car and that the stock exaust is already tuned to the car. Will my car be messed up in the long run if i go get new exaust professionlly installed. What are some reasons i can tell him to show that its not a bad thing for your car. Thats why its called an upgrade.
well you dad is kinda right... the stock catback flows pretty well for being stock. you could buy a midpipe and be like "i mean really dad... who needs 6 cats? i dont think the o-zone layer is going anywhere for aleast a couple 1000 years and by then ill be dead so... so can i buy a midpipe please !!!"
Old 01-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Azure
2nd Gear Member

Upgrading the exhaust will do nothing but good for the car. It will sound meaner, make more power, get better MPG, and the aftermarket stuff tends to be of a better quality than the stock Ford part (if you get stainless).

+1 on the get your buddies to help with it. And make sure you have power/air tools. I did mine mostly by myself, with all hand tools and some help from my dad. It was a curse-fest, to put it in nice terms.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:23 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

I also have an 02 and I went with Mac long tubes and an off road h-pipe along with flows and it made a huge difference. You couldn't pay me to go back with a stock exhaust. Tell Dad not to knock it until he sees the finished product
Old 01-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eventer289

LOL, exhaust isn't going to screw your car up at all. Tell him it increases MPG. There is no need to professionally install it. Get some friends together that know what they are doing and order a pizza and buy a keg of beer to pay them lol. You would have to really screw somethingup to hurt your car with just an exhaust system.
Fixed
Old 01-28-2007, 11:41 PM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

What everyone is saying is true. Let him read our opinions on here it helps.

Quick Reply: New exaust system?