4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

funky idle - stalls

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 04:21 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default funky idle - stalls

My '03 GT ran great until I was working on it the other night. Then the idle got really rough and started to drop to about 500 RPM and the car would stall when idling.....then the service engine light came on.

Here is what I was doing to it. I was going to put the x pipe on and gave up because we couldn't get the driver's side manifold bolts out.

We had unplugged all four of the O2 sensors (at the connectors) but left them in the pipe. When we gave up, we plugged them back in the right spots. It ran good for a while, then the problems started with the idle....just a little bit at first, with no engine light. Then it progressively got worse and the light came on. As long as you are in the gas it's fine. It just stalls when I idle.

FYI It's a 5 speed, so it's not in gear at idle.

any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Old 10-16-2004, 03:44 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: funky idle - stalls

It sounds to me that you've knocked a wire loose somewhere.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:57 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

You have to do mre than just break a wire for it to idle wrong. When I had mine installed a wire broke and the light come on and it drove normal. You may have a bad sensor all together. Get the code and it will tell you what side is bad.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:35 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

im kinda having the same problem, im also thinkn its probably a sensor, excpet mine somtimes when u start it, it revs up really around alil over 2k and then slowly comes down but if u dont give it enuff time and start to drive wen u put it in gear and and shift into the next the idle drops waaaaaaaaaay down once it dropped so low and then died and took like 10mins to start again, i had to floor it to get it started. i cheked the codes on mine and nothn came up, but idono, u shuld look into getn a cheap lil code reader i got mine for 30
Old 10-17-2004, 02:43 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Get the codes pulled first, that will give you an idea where to look
Old 10-17-2004, 03:43 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: stonemonk9

im kinda having the same problem, im also thinkn its probably a sensor, excpet mine somtimes when u start it, it revs up really around alil over 2k and then slowly comes down but if u dont give it enuff time and start to drive wen u put it in gear and and shift into the next the idle drops waaaaaaaaaay down once it dropped so low and then died and took like 10mins to start again, i had to floor it to get it started. i cheked the codes on mine and nothn came up, but idono, u shuld look into getn a cheap lil code reader i got mine for 30

This sounds kinda like the same problem I had when my mass airflow sensor was wet. Do you have a CE light on?
Old 10-17-2004, 06:10 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Get the codes pulled first, that will give you an idea where to look
Doh! you're right. i just wanted your opinions before i went to the dealer. codes said bad signal from mass airflow (or something like that)........wire was loose from the accident but didn't show up until i drove it for a bit. Dealer fixed it under warranty = cool.

This sounds kinda like the same problem I had when my mass airflow sensor was wet. Do you have a CE light on?
Good call JD. you woulda had me looking in the right place buddy, thanks.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:51 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

ya, but i always have a ce light on, the code is a 118 which i think is a coolant temp sensor i have unplugged so my fan runs constantly and doesnt over heat, but on the intake i made, a rubber tube somewhat blocks the the air temp sensor idono if that wuld do it, and this culd also be a problem, my mass airflow is actually in the fenderwall, i bet i culd get wet real easy in there??!
Old 10-18-2004, 12:12 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input

Thats what it is.
Old 10-18-2004, 12:49 AM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

u sayn thats wats causin it?

Quick Reply: funky idle - stalls