4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

C.A.I. mixed with Maf System....BAD?

Old 10-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Joe57350

Default C.A.I. mixed with Maf System....BAD?

Check it: 98:GT:

Got a C&L 80mm MAF System with Inlet Pipe, going to a BBK 75mm Throttle Body and C&L Plenum. It seems to me that I shouldn't even consider puttin on a C.A.I. as the MAF, specifically the MAM, all ready takes care of all air flow temps with it's sensor. Am I right, and if so, is there anyway around it, could I actually get away with putting a C.A.I. on?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2004, 10:39 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: C.A.I. mixed with Maf System....BAD?

The 80mm maf is too big for a 98 GT.The stock meter is plenty for just about any n/a setup.Save your money for PI heads,cams, and an intake manifold.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:50 AM
Colvindesign
1st Gear Member

The CAI stands for Cold Air intake, which is supposed to reduce the temperature of the air going into your engine, usually by drawing that air from a place away from the engine compartment. THe MAF system as noted by CHopper, is sufficient for your airflow needs, but the CAI is completely different from the MAF. The MAF MEASURES the air intake temp, and adjusts the fuel mix accordingly.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:58 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Your enging has to have the mass airflow meter to operate correctly in other words. As lond as you have the sensor and the meter you can run the pipe like you want but be careful because too many twists and turns in it can cause the ari to go in wrong and cause problems. Best thing to do it to put it in the fenderwell and not in the bumper.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:00 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

No the IAT measures the intake temp, the MAF measures the air volume entering the engine. The 80mm size is fine, the 75mm throttle body is way to big, and yea aftermarket maf's don't do well with fenderwell cai's because the maf's don't have a screen to smooth the airflow over the MAF sensor and the bend in the fenderwell CAI's make the airflow turbulant and will throw off the readings from the MAF. If you want to keep your aftermarket MAF then I'd suggest getting a straight CAI like a C&L or some other CAI that doesn't go into the fenderwell... although unless you remove your headlight (like at the track) that kinda CAI won't do you much good.
Old 10-17-2004, 11:16 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Then how does the Denseecharger work so wekk then? Im lost now... you just threw me off!
Old 10-17-2004, 11:18 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

The MAF in the densecharger kit is calibrated for the bend by ProM
Old 10-17-2004, 11:25 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ok, thats what I was thinking but you said not to use the MAF with a fenderwell CAI and I was like [&:][&:][&:]
Old 10-17-2004, 11:31 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Sorry I was referring to not use an aftermarket replacement MAF with a fenderwell CAI, since it wouldn't be calibrated for the akward flow from the bend. The densecharger kit also uses and additional bend, for a total of 2 bends, to help control the flow of air across the MAF
Old 10-17-2004, 11:37 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

I still dont get what you told me before. You said that with your Densecharger setup the filter was pointing down, right? Well I was talking to the guy after I installed it all and he said that the filter should be sticking straight in and not pointing down. He told me to take the elbow off and just add the coupling. Thats what I did and it runs good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C.A.I. mixed with Maf System....BAD?