4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Coolant Light

Old 02-08-2007, 12:59 AM
jewh4

Default Coolant Light

My coolant light keeps coming on, but the fluid level is full and has been full for weeks. What the hell is the problem? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:05 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Coolant Light

Could be the float sensor in the brake reservoir going/gone bad. Could be a break in one/both of the 2 wires going to the sensor as it makes a real sharp bend because Ford in their infinite wisdom attached the loom for the wires against the driver fender.Unfortunately, you can not change the float sensor because it is molded into the reservoir.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 AM
hawwk11
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jewh4

My coolant light keeps coming on, but the fluid level is full and has been full for weeks. What the hell is the problem? Any help would be appreciated!
Same thing happened to my 99' GT, and at first it would come on and off and finally it just stayed on. I heard it is just a sensor, and ford charges waaaay too much to fix it so i just left it alone. Mines has now been on for over a year, but i know how ya feel because it bugs the heck outta ya to see any light on the dash on like that. When i got my oil changed they said that sometimes debris gets stuck in there and trips the sensor, they tried to blow the sensor with an air compressor but it didnt work in my case. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck,
Old 02-08-2007, 01:42 AM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

Specifically....it's a Mustang. This is a known problem on New Edge's.

I used to get it only after car washes and it would eventually turn off after a day or so. Once igot the blower installed it stoppped doing it. Have you tried installing a blower yet?

Seriously though, I think a component of my blower install is keeping the sensor or it's connection from getting soaked in the car wash.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:02 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

Specifically....it's a Mustang. This is a known problem on New Edge's.

I used to get it only after car washes and it would eventually turn off after a day or so. Once igot the blower installed it stoppped doing it. Have you tried installing a blower yet?

Seriously though, I think a component of my blower install is keeping the sensor or it's connection from getting soaked in the car wash.
When standing in front of the car, on the left hand side of the master cylinder reservoir are two wiresrunning into a male plug that terminates into female plug that is molded into the plastic brake fluid reservoir. There is a constant current running through those wires while the internal reservoir float is in the up, (full), position. If the fluid in the reservoir runs low or there is a break in one of the wires running to the sensor, the dash light will come on. If the internal float has malfunctioned, it's new master cylinder time because Ford doesn't sell the reservoir separate from the master cylinder from what I could find. I may be wrong on that.

If you don't care about knowing if you have enough brake fluid or not from your dash, connect the two wires running into the float sensor in the reservoir together. That will complete the circuit and trick the computer into thinking the brake fluid level is full at all times.

I don't recommend the above modification, but it isn't going to hurt anything and as long as you keep an eye on the brake fluid level, bye bye dash light.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:06 AM
bransdaman78
I ♥ Acer

or just pull that bulb out
Old 02-08-2007, 02:18 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I used to get it only after car washes and it would eventually turn off after a day or so.
Car wash, that was my problem
You take yours through lately?
Old 02-08-2007, 02:26 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

I used to get it only after car washes and it would eventually turn off after a day or so.

Just a suggestion to you guys with the car wash "syndrome". Pull the plug off of the reservoir, apply a generous helping of dielectric grease on the connectors and plug it back in.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:29 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: LetThePoniesRunFree

ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

Just a suggestion to you guys with the car wash "syndrome". Pull the plug off of the reservoir, apply a generous helping of dielectric grease on the connectors and plug it back in.
Will try!
Tanks!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:33 PM
roush17
3rd Gear Member

My coolant light has been coming on and off periodically for about 6 months now. Keep an eye on your level constantly though because mine has started going down and it is leaking from the intake manifold. All I have to say is don't ignore it for too long.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant Light