4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PI pistons and connecting rods question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 01:38 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Default PI pistons and connecting rods question

ok im looking at this guys 2000 gt pistons and connecting rods, im going to be rebuilding my 96 gt and these look like it would be a good replacement seen as how they are just broken in with 20000 miles on em. would this change my compression ratio any, and if they do will htey give me any HP? and also will they fit in my 96 gt?

Black Mage
Old 10-20-2004, 01:56 PM
96mustanggt46
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: PI pistons and connecting rods question

Your static compression ratio will drop due to your non pi heads witch will most likely lower your power. If you decide to go with pi heads later on your compression will be the same as 99 up gt's witch then you can run a blower in the future. But now that i think about it you could run a blower with the pi pistons with a lesser chance of detonation.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:23 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

yea what he said, you compression ratio will drop a good bit - not a wise move unless your doing a headswap at the same time.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:10 PM
USAMuscle
4th Gear Member

But a good plan if you want a blower. Lower compression = more psi.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:17 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

But it still isn't even close to reliable as forged internals. If you are going to spend the money, do it right and buy new.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:26 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

so what you guys are saying is that this would b a bad move on my part to install these pistons?
Old 10-20-2004, 10:47 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Not really a horrible move if you plan on a PI swap down the road. But for the time being it's not going to make you any faster.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:25 AM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

it will make your slower
Old 10-21-2004, 06:04 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

not only will it make you slower, but as they are cast hyperutectic (however you spell it) pistons wich won't fare any better under boost than stock. if you're going to rip the motor apart, put forged internals in it. might as well do the heads and intake and cams because they suck too.

if you want to make power, just put a whole new short block and head package in it. otherwise, just do a stock rebuild and save your money and keep your power.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:47 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BCisme

not only will it make you slower, but as they are cast hyperutectic (however you spell it) pistons wich won't fare any better under boost than stock. if you're going to rip the motor apart, put forged internals in it. might as well do the heads and intake and cams because they suck too.

if you want to make power, just put a whole new short block and head package in it. otherwise, just do a stock rebuild and save your money and keep your power.
well thats what im still deabting, i know im gonig to teear it apart come about february, got a nice shop with all the tools i need, and all the help i could want, (doing this project through my highschool autos class, get to use their shop and any help i just ask one of the mechanics there )well newayz, ive looked through summit racing and found a rebuild kit with forged pistons for about $730. ok not bad, al the seals and forged pistons and a fuel pump i beleive. is there any other site or place that i might be able to find rebuild kits? or where can i even find just piston rings for my car? god those are hard to find. i wont have the moeny to do a PI head swap thoguh like i had wanted to, but down the road next summer i will start looking into it more again. thanx

Quick Reply: PI pistons and connecting rods question