4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

LOWERING CONFUSION/IS THIS CORRECT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:19 PM
sweet99
4th Gear Member

Default RE: LOWERING CONFUSION/IS THIS CORRECT?

ORIGINAL: redass02gt
ORIGINAL: sweet99I am planning on upgrading my car's handling with the following parts, FRPP springs that lower my vert 1.2" front and back. I am using KYB GR-2's fue to several back surgeries and did not want to with harsh shocks when the springs will be stiffer. I also bought MM's aluminum steering rack bushings. 1. I have concluded that a drop of 1.2" will NOT require CC plates, Correct?2. After reading the suspension basics in the stickies above I got the impression that lowering the front without extensive/expensive additional parts will actually diminish the handling. Is a 1.2" drop enough to worry that I will get worse handling?3. I am not sure about using the MM solid steering rack bushings, not much feedback out there. Can anyone let me know if this is a good mod? MM says with the stock K-member this is the way to go with a lowered stang. Thanks guys, Mark
this is the exact setup I have, except for the bushings, so I dunno aboot them. you won't need CC plates. I think my car feels much improved, handling-wise, what was the reason people gave for them making the handling worse?
It's in a sticky about mods to the cars above the forum.
If I do deseide I need CC's who make a reasonably priced good set? Seems hard to believe the stock alignment design cannot take up this amount. Too bad there is not a clear concensus on it either. Dropping the front and back the same amount should not affect the look as stock the rear is already higher than the front so having less drop in the back would seem to aggravate that condition even more, NO? Springs are on order and I am not buyibg another set. I will look at CC's and research some more but again it seems within the range of reason.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I'm dropped an 1.5 E. Prokit and Have taken my car in twice to get the cars allighnment checked and both time they've told me it was perfect...... Other than the *** sagging from the Eibachs there's no other problems from the lowering....
Old 02-16-2007, 03:34 PM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

Mine's dropped somewhere between 1.5 and 2. I have no cc plates. The tires that were on it when i boughtit were worn out, but had perfect wear. I bought new tires a while back and have not had any unusual wear.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:41 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I had steedas springs which are around 1.5"... I picked up a cheap set of CC Plates just to have them to make sure i wouldn't have any issues... I got em for like 60 bucks on ebay, the 3 bolt Steeda ones. I don't think you'll need them, but depending on where you go for alignment, (like Ford. ) they may refuse to do it.

I took mine to Ford with my 50% off alignment coupon, and they couldn't do it because of the lack of CC plates...
Old 02-16-2007, 04:08 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: sweet99

ORIGINAL: sweet99I am planning on upgrading my car's handling with the following parts, FRPP springs that lower my vert 1.2" front and back. I am using KYB GR-2's fue to several back surgeries and did not want to with harsh shocks when the springs will be stiffer. I also bought MM's aluminum steering rack bushings. 1. I have concluded that a drop of 1.2" will NOT require CC plates, Correct?2. After reading the suspension basics in the stickies above I got the impression that lowering the front without extensive/expensive additional parts will actually diminish the handling. Is a 1.2" drop enough to worry that I will get worse handling?3. I am not sure about using the MM solid steering rack bushings, not much feedback out there. Can anyone let me know if this is a good mod? MM says with the stock K-member this is the way to go with a lowered stang. Thanks guys, Mark
this is the exact setup I have, except for the bushings, so I dunno aboot them.� you won't need CC plates.� I think my car feels much improved, handling-wise, what was the reason people gave for them making the handling worse?
It's in a sticky about mods to the cars above the forum.
If I do deseide I need CC's who make a reasonably priced good set? Seems hard to believe the stock alignment design cannot take up this amount. Too bad there is not a clear concensus on it either. Dropping the front and back the same amount should not affect the look as stock the rear is already higher than the front so having less drop in the back would seem to aggravate that condition even more, NO? Springs are on order and I am not buyibg another set. I will look at CC's and research some more but again it seems within the range of reason.
There is a clear consensus. if you notice, the people telling you to go ahead and get the cc plates as cheap insurance didn't use the springs you are talking aboot on your car. I have them on my car, and I'm within the align. specs, and I don't think you can find ANYONE with the ford racing springs and no cc plates that could not get alignment within spec. If you need to buy CC plates with the ford racing b or c springs, your car is unique, as I did the same research you are doing before installing my springs and shoscks/struts. I have no clue why some people think cc plates are somehow always needed to do a correct lowering job.

The ford racing springs will give your car a slight rake, the front will be lower than the back (more so than stock), but I think the new edge design looks very good like that.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:27 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

You WILL need CC plates; its a consensus. I dont have them and I ****ed up my front tires after 10 months;i got it aligned to the best they could do it. I only have C-Springs which is a 1.3 inch drop in the front.

The people say well that they are fine have sub 99 cars. The drop is less on there car for the particular spring.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:44 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

my car is a 2002, and I have no alignment issues. [&:] I think you're the first person I've seen that said they needed the cc plates with those ford springs. I've put 15k miles on my car since I changed the springs and got it aligned and had no problems with uneven wear or anything. glad it's not my problem anymore.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:01 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

my car is a 2002, and I have no alignment issues. [&:] I think you're the first person I've seen that said they needed the cc plates with those ford springs. I've put 15k miles on my car since I changed the springs and got it aligned and had no problems with uneven wear or anything. glad it's not my problem anymore.

I dunno, i guess it could be because I have 275's up front. I did get it aligned though and they even told me they couldnt adjust it anymore than they did.

Those tires have another year in them except for the inside where its flat, maybe ill have them swapped and use my nitto's up front and MT's out back for when i have to get inspected. There's too much tread on the front to let them goto wastebut I know they wont pass inspection.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:05 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

There ya go Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates 45 bucks right now with 5hrs left. Cheap insurance to have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Maxim...91326464QQrdZ1

EDIT: Those are for coilover setups... these are Saleen ones for non coil overs...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Salee...87121721QQrdZ1
Old 02-16-2007, 06:05 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SSFenris

what do c/c plates have to do with strut travel?
MM told me that it raises the mounting point of the strut allowing the use of the full range of strut travel in a lowered application.

I guess MM was wrong.

Quick Reply: LOWERING CONFUSION/IS THIS CORRECT?