4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New to this stang thang

Old 03-10-2003, 05:24 PM
GTstangster

Default New to this stang thang

I recently had a civic hatchback with a fully built acura integra motor implanted, well actually almost fully built. The best track time was in the mid to low 13's. It sucks to spend 5 grand, and only reach 13's, when I go to the track and see all those domestics hittin 11's and 12's all day, that sucks even more. So I sold the rice rocket and got me a 99 stang GT. Never really fixed up any domestics before, I don't know where to begin. so now I would like to know if anyone out there got some info on where to start first. What do I need to get into the 12's???? Also around how much will it cost to get me into the 12's? Thanks a lot.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:32 PM
lloydchristmas
3rd Gear Member

First of all, congratulations on coming over to OUR side. Wont it be great to drop a few grand and go 11's instead of 13's?!?!?!?!?! Id start off with a cold air system, cat back exhaust and gears. That way you'll feel and hear a difference right off the bat! Dont know too much about 4.6 mods yet as I am about to buy my first mod motored stang in another week. (Also a 99 GT) Let me know what you find out about the 4.6. And good luck!!!!
Old 03-10-2003, 11:26 PM
spike306
2nd Gear Member

lloyd's right, and congrats once again!!!! you have started off in the right direction
Old 03-11-2003, 09:04 PM
devins

Personally I would go with a supercharger from the get go. It's tempting to buy the $100 to $200 items here and there to gain 5/10 HP but you won't feel that little of a change. I know $2/3K is expensive initially but trust me it's well worth the power increase.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:02 PM
lloydchristmas
3rd Gear Member

But eventually you'll want to add on all the little stuff anyway. Anyone who doesnt feel a difference with a gear change is probably comatose. LOL
Old 03-12-2003, 12:50 AM
noslow50
I ♥ Acer

actaully i have read this articel whre this one guy put nos maf injectors and a fuel pump cai and exhaust.. he was runnin low 12's..... plus if u jet the nos correct save were and tear on the motor.. and besides the mod motors can take alot before they give...
Old 03-12-2003, 10:20 PM
91GT5.0
2nd Gear Member

Are 4.6's unibody? If so, I'd go with subframes too. Nitrous is cheap, easy HP, but I had a plan when I got my car that I wanted to do all the supporting mods and stuff first. Then again, my car was mostly for street/daily driver responsibilities, not for track but a couple times a year, and I was always afraid of putting a power adder on an engine with 140K+ miles. I'd rather be N/A and go fast (for now) because a fast N/A car always gets more respect than a forced induction/power adder car. Not that I don't respect those type of cars, I want a power adder like no other, but it all depends on your priorities. I did all the supporting mods first so I could get bigger gains later.

(And as much as I preach about getting gears installed 1st thing, I have had a set of 3.55's in my room for over a year now. Some people are just stupid I guess)
Old 03-12-2003, 11:36 PM
lloydchristmas
3rd Gear Member

N/a vs a blown or nitrous car has nothing to do with respect. The respect is given to the fast ones. You dont get respect when your N/A car loses to a blown car.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:15 AM
noslow50
I ♥ Acer

a mustang has been a unibody from 1964....and still is.... i would reinforce the car first...wouldn't want to twist it like a preztel...lol
Old 03-13-2003, 04:47 PM
91GT5.0
2nd Gear Member

<blockquote>Quote: Originally posted by lloydchristmas on 12 March 2003<hr>
N/a vs a blown or nitrous car has nothing to do with respect. The respect is given to the fast ones. You dont get respect when your N/A car loses to a blown car.

<hr></blockquote>

True. . . but that wasn't my point. But given that two cars are equally fast, one N/A and one with a power adder, which one will you look at with more respect? Maybe respect isn't the word I'm looking for, but I'd be much more impressed with a car that runs 12's N/A than I would with a car that runs 12's with a blower or nitrous.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to this stang thang