4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How to tell if PI swap already?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 09:30 PM
I_AV8_4U
1st Gear Member

Default How to tell if PI swap already?

Hello.
I have possibly a silly question. I purchased my '97 GT a year ago. It appears to be bone stock, but it really seems faster than everyone claims of the 96-98 4.6. It came with 17" rims and 3.73s...I have the window sticker! The last owner told me that it was all stock except for some intake recall or something that was replaced (he was some old fellow thatkept it real clean!). I never paid much attention until now. I am looking to do a engine, or PI swap with blower, and I want to make sure it is not PI'ed already!
What are the tell tale signs that itmay havebeen switched (also heads while I'm at it)?
A side note, which color are the standard injecters? I believe mine are pink.
Just trying to confirm a baseline here!
Thanks people!
Troy
BTW, I am not some young punk that thinks mom's V-6 station wagon hauls ars! Got a 67 289 (slo!) and a 330 HP Jeep (quick!)right now!
Old 03-04-2007, 11:48 PM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How to tell if PI swap already?

chances are you dont have a pi swap, that would have been a really big selling point on the part of the seller. our stangs have alot of problems with cracked intake manifolds, so i bet it was just that, post some pics so we can really let you know if it is PI or not
Old 03-06-2007, 02:11 AM
I_AV8_4U
1st Gear Member

Thanks! I'll do that when I get back into town...on the road till Saturday.
Do the 3.73 gears really add that much ompf?!
Old 03-06-2007, 02:17 AM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: I_AV8_4U

Thanks! I'll do that when I get back into town...on the road till Saturday.
Do the 3.73 gears really add that much ompf?!
A steeper rear end gear is gonna giveyour car some more oomph, definitely enough to make it feel much faster than stock.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:21 AM
uofipilot
3rd Gear Member

It came with 17" rims and 3.73s...I have the window sticker! The last owner told me that it was all stock
Are you saying that it came stock with 3.73s and says that on the window sticker? I didnt think they ever came with more than 3.55s in the Mach. If that's the case, I'm jealous. I'm still pissed at Ford for putting 3.27s in my Cobra. That makes no sense.

Matt
Old 03-06-2007, 02:40 AM
I_AV8_4U
1st Gear Member

Hey Flying Illini...Yea, the previous owner ordered this car from the factory. I've got the window sticker that even has his name at the bottom of it, and listed as optional equip was the 3.73 gears as well as the other goodies. Good for me I guess!
BTW, it's not a Mach, just a '97 GT (auto).
Thanks for the replys gents.
Troy
Old 03-06-2007, 03:04 AM
97targa
5th Gear Member

Hey Flying Illini...Yea, the previous owner ordered this car from the factory. I've got the window sticker that even has his name at the bottom of it, and listed as optional equip was the 3.73 gears as well as the other goodies. Good for me I guess!
BTW, it's not a Mach, just a '97 GT (auto).
Thanks for the replys gents.
Troy
That's nice you get the car from the origional owner! They usually take care of their cars because they bear the brunt of sticker shock!..lol If you want to find out the easy way you can look at your intake and if the runners go all the way across the manifold then it's a non-pi. If the runners go halfway across then you have a PI. You can also jack the car up. crawl under the drivers door just behind the front tire and you can get a good look at the casting number on the head. I just did this the other day. Fairly easy with a small flashlight! If your casting numbers begin with RF you have non-pi heads. If they have 1L2e or XL3e then you have PI heads! Another give away would be the passenger side oil fill! Let us know
Old 03-06-2007, 04:02 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I didn't know you could order a GT with a different gearset, maybe it was a dealer option.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:09 AM
97tplsGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: uofipilot

It came with 17" rims and 3.73s...I have the window sticker! The last owner told me that it was all stock
Are you saying that it came stock with 3.73s and says that on the window sticker? I didnt think they ever came with more than 3.55s in the Mach. If that's the case, I'm jealous. I'm still pissed at Ford for putting 3.27s in my Cobra. That makes no sense.

Matt
try having 2.73's in these turds [:@] I_AV8.......the 3.73's are probablycausing the difference b/t your car and everyone elses "stock" 96-98, i hope my 3.55's help me too......
Old 03-06-2007, 01:12 PM
I_AV8_4U
1st Gear Member

Thanks again for the help!
targa...I will def check those items..out of town right now.
2000...guess so! I didn't realise what a catch this apparently was. It was from manufacture, as it is listed on the spec sheet.
97...I am thinking the same now. Must be a substantial diff.
As a side note...what is people's MPG with these cars? I consistantly get23-25 100 % on the highway with cruise on at 80 mph. Is that reasonable? I assumed it was (not that it matters much I guess!).
Troy

Quick Reply: How to tell if PI swap already?