4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

FLOW MASTERS-VS-MAGNAFLOW ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: FLOW MASTERS-VS-MAGNAFLOW ?

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

Flowmasters are only going to last you maybe 2 years and they sound like everything else on the road.
So where did you get that info? Do they expire in 2 years now? Ive had mine on for 2 years and they havent fell off yet. I have full length headers, catless prochamber, and 40 series flowmasters welded in.. .I think it sounds decent, there are a couple of videos in the signature.

I would pick magnaflow if you was going to hand me one of the two, but for the price, flowmasters sound good.

Id rather have a Borla Cat back and Bassani X than anything... To me, chambered mufflers sound good with H pipes and prochambers, while straight through mufflers sound good with X pipes...

Old 03-16-2007, 09:14 PM
bb 460
1st Gear Member

I agree with the last guy where he talks about h and x-pipes and what sounds good together. Again this goes to oppinions whether something sounds good or not. I love my BBK x-pipe with magnaflows. The system went together quite easily with no welding. I've went 2 years now with no leaks
Old 03-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quicktime_GT

Flowmasters are only going to last you maybe 2 years and they sound like everything else on the road.
So where did you get that info? Do they expire in 2 years now? Ive had mine on for 2 years and they havent fell off yet. I have full length headers, catless prochamber, and 40 series flowmasters welded in.. .I think it sounds decent, there are a couple of videos in the signature.

I would pick magnaflow if you was going to hand me one of the two, but for the price, flowmasters sound good.

Id rather have a Borla Cat back and Bassani X than anything... To me, chambered mufflers sound good with H pipes and prochambers, while straight through mufflers sound good with X pipes...

Every muffler shop (even ones that specialize in flows) have told me to expect to replace them in 2-3 years. On my old cobra one was rusted through within a year. Im sure that the driving conditions can change the duration but i feel like i should trust the guy that is changing them on the same exact cars every other year
Old 03-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

And im not dissing on flows... Im just explaining. I think they sound pretty decent.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:46 PM
SixEight
2nd Gear Member

My car came with Flowmasters welded in. I drove with them for a few months and then put on a Magnaflow catback. The Flowmasters were louder, but the Magnaflows definitly had them beat in terms of tone. Now I have a Borla catback on there and it is even quieter than the Magnaflows, but it sounds vicious at 2-3K. I think my Flowmasters sounded the best winding out gears. The Borlas really sound boring over 4K. If I could do it all over again I'd probably just save my money and keep the Flows welded in.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:50 PM
clix813
4th Gear Member

I love my magnaflows its a little more unique then flowmasters which every mustang seems to have. Everyone told me to get flow masters but i got magnas and everyone gives me complements on my exhaust. It also sounds twice as good now that I have my o/r h pipe on.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:05 AM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

Try going to streetfire.net and see if you can find any sound clips of both. Its going to come down to your ears.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:12 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bransdaman78

typical nonsense.... I dont know where you guy get this stuff, I have LTs, o/h and 40 flows - I have the best sounding mustang (N/a) that I have ever heard, and everyone next to it agrees (its also dumped). And no my 40's arnt spitting rust - and actually the chambered muff is a good thing with o/r midpipes, but its not like the muffleres cost that much hp anyway. Magnas sound like a wet fart to me, my friend has them... I hate them . But its a matter of opinion... all i can say is - for example if everybody dated a hot chick with big knockers, would you date a fat chick to be different? Sometimes everybody does something because its better... or maybe theyre all stupid I dunno
Flowmasters should not be falling apart anytime soon, they are a quailty muffler.

But if you don't like the sound of the magnaflows... you just haven't heard them on a good setup. LTS + o/r X + magnaflows is pure sex... espcially dumped.

It sounds like an all out race car at WOT, and with the dumps still has a mean idle and crusing sound (without being super loud at highway speeds).

Magnaflow FTW! I really need to get my dragstrip and idle video editited... the dumps make SUCH a difference.

Edit: I do like the sound of flowmasters at WOT and idle, but damm that stupid drooooonnnneee. It simply drives me crazy. Plus the whole thing with everyone has em... wern't you the guy telling me to not go with black rims because they are "played out" ?
Old 03-17-2007, 04:53 AM
stangintheblue
1st Gear Member

not trying to steal the thread but what about MAC? The catback with the O/R Prochamber.The price has me interested as well as a few videos ive seen but what about the quality and videos dont really capture everything. Opinions?
Old 03-17-2007, 06:51 AM
NORMAN99
2nd Gear Member

V8,
I would all depend on what sound you like better. Everyone has their own preference.

Quick Reply: FLOW MASTERS-VS-MAGNAFLOW ?