4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone with a T-56 Viper Spec Tranny with 4.10s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:38 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Default Anyone with a T-56 Viper Spec Tranny with 4.10s?

Anyone with a T-56 Viperspec with 4.10s? Yall like it mainly for road/street racing? Do yall like it just as good on the track as you do on the street? Or would yall have stuck with a 5spd TKO instead?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:07 AM
DSTANG03
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone with a T-56 Viper Spec Tranny with 4.10s?

i love my t56 its a dream.....i would never switch
Old 03-19-2007, 12:15 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DSTANG03

i love my t56 its a dream.....i would never switch
You got it in a Cobra or a GT?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:15 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

what gear ratios are you looking at in the transmission? Ive seen quite a few times where the t-56 and the tko's were spec'ed the same other than the 5th gear in the t56 being a .8x and 6th being almost identical to the .6x of the tko's..

That makes a much bigger difference than the type of transmission... and not all spec'ed tranny's are ordered the same way. Some shops offer a custom gear ratio for customers, etc.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:21 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HaV

what gear ratios are you looking at in the transmission? Ive seen quite a few times where the t-56 and the tko's were spec'ed the same other than the 5th gear in the t56 being a .8x and 6th being almost identical to the .6x of the tko's..

That makes a much bigger difference than the type of transmission... and not all spec'ed tranny's are ordered the same way. Some shops offer a custom gear ratio for customers, etc.
Yea its been some deliema of mine for a while between TKO and T-56. StangGT4.6 explianed it to me really good a few weeks ago again I still haven't been able to come to a conclusion. A part of me wants a fully built auto but I love driving manuels. I love the TKO and track potential it has. But the I love drivability on the road with the T-56 Viper.

Will you have a higher Top End speed with a 6spd versus a 5spd TKO?
Old 03-19-2007, 12:36 AM
Emanpimpster
3rd Gear Member

I would def think so, if you have the power its a whole other gear to gain speed
Old 03-19-2007, 12:46 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

Yea its been some deliema of mine for a while between TKO and T-56. StangGT4.6 explianed it to me really good a few weeks ago again I still haven't been able to come to a conclusion. A part of me wants a fully built auto but I love driving manuels. I love the TKO and track potential it has. But the I love drivability on the road with the T-56 Viper.

Technically.. Yes you will have a higher top end with the 6 speed because of 5th gear being a .8x. 6th gear is the same as 5th gear in the tko's.. and even in the t45's for that matter, unless you custom order a longer gear than the .6x that is pretty standard... but since most people dont race in over drive, your 5th will pull you farther than the 1.0 ratio of 4th for the 5 speeds..

Old 03-19-2007, 12:53 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

The viper spec trans will allow you to run a more agressive gear ratio than the TKO while keeping the RPM the same.

The viper spec has the .50 overdrive, while the TKO has a .64 or .68 final (5th) gear (depending on model). The viper 56 is ALOT more expensive, 3000+ according to the d and d website.

As we talked about earlyer, you have no major differences in the transmissions ratio wise until 120+ MPH (coming out of 4th). The gear ratios are for all real intents and purposes identical until after 4th. If you get the more expensive viper spec you will havea much more useable 120+ (or with a 4.10 rear gear maybe 114? Whatever 4th tops out at) MPH, espcially with your centri as the extra 5th gear will keep it in the powerband better.

Basically ask yourself, am I going to run a 4.10 or steeper gear? Am I interested in 120+ MPH accleration?

So far as the strip, I am not sure that even with a 4.10 you would want to have to shift to 5th (with the 56) as it is still a overdrive gear, and usually you want to try to stay out of overdrive (anything above 1:1) in the 1/4 mile. The .7x overdrive of the 56 might still be steep enough to keep you acclerating correctly, but with no personal experence I cannot say for sure.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2832353/tm.htm
Old 03-19-2007, 12:56 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Technically.. Yes you will have a higher top end with the 6 speed because of 5th gear being a .8x. 6th gear is the same as 5th gear in the tko's.. and even in the t45's for that matter, unless you custom order a longer gear than the .6x that is pretty standard... but since most people dont race in over drive, your 5th will pull you farther than the 1.0 ratio of 4th for the 5 speeds..
You have to be careful here as there are a couple different versions of the 56.

The "viper spec" he is talking about that work on the 4.6L ford cars has a different ratio than the old 56. The viper spec (or "close ratio" ) has a .74 5th and a .50 6th.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:00 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

You have to be careful here as there are a couple different versions of the 56.

The "viper spec" he is talking about that work on the 4.6L ford cars has a different ratio than the old 56. The viper spec (or "close ratio" ) has a .74 5th and a .50 6th.
Thats why I asked him for the gear ratio's on the tranny.. Ive seen more than one website offer custom gear sets for them since ive been looking.... there are so many options on the t-56.. I was just quoting the standard model I see the most often... Ive seen some REALLY deep 6th gears.. and some really shallow ones offered.

Quick Reply: Anyone with a T-56 Viper Spec Tranny with 4.10s?