4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A new mustang owner needing some advice on mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 10:01 PM
johnjay06

Default RE: A new mustang owner needing some advice on mods

oh ok. you just replace from the converters back right? so basically what i have is fine, there are just other sound options right? sorry, but i know nothing about cars really lol
Old 03-21-2007, 10:03 PM
Rusmisel01GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnjay06

also, i am kinda confused on the exhaust thing. so just the flowmaster is not enough right? what is cat back?
Cat-back is pretty much just new mufflers-piping(stock piping is 2 1/4 inch and aftermarket is 2 1/2inch pipe Thus making better sound and slightly increasing performance) And you get cool looking shiny tips I like to call KAPLOOIE PIPES!

In mustangs you have 3 parts to your exhaust.
1. headers - There are long tube headers and shorties. (long tubes are better of the two for maximum flow)
2. mid pipe - There are a couple different types. You can get catted midpipes or O/R midpipes (no cats) they make an H-pipe shaped like an H, and an X-pipe shaped like an X, If you buy long tube headers you have to buy a shorty midpipe, If you keep factory exhaust manifolds or buy shorty headers you get the regular midpipe of your choice.
3. catback - Your choice of mufflers/piping/tips. There are many different brands, All sound different, but not too worry, all sound good, there is Mac, Pypes, Magnaflow, SLP, Bassani, Borla, etc....

I hope this helped.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:05 PM
johnjay06

that helped alot. wow guys, i am gladi found a forum with such helpful people!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:10 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

Okay I will say what the guy a few posts above me said, but in english.

A cat-back is the section of your exhaust system that starts just after your catalytic convertors (or rather, your midpipe, which in your stock car is an H-pipe) and goes all the way to the rear of the car. So it's your entire exhaust, after your cats. The section in front of the cat-back, which is your mid pipe, can be changed for additional increase in power. You can change the midpipe one that has higher flowing cats, or no cats at all.

Flowmaster and SLP are just companies that produce exhaust systems. As someone mentioned, you can go to mustangexhaust.com and register and listen to sound clips of many different combinations of exhaust set-ups on Mustangs like yours.

The "long tubes" that he is talking about are a type of headers, which are a replacement for your stock exhaust manifolds that come on the car. People changing their exhaust manifolds (the first part of your exhaust system; the part that attaches to your engine and bolt-up to your midpipe) have options. They can replace them with headers of different lengths (i.e. short or "shorty" headers, mid-length, or full-length/long tubes). The long tubes provide the most power gains, but require the use of a shortened midpipe due to their long length.

If you would like anything explained feel free to ask man, we're here to help you out. Congrats on getting a badass car.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:14 PM
johnjay06

can someone point me in the right direction of where to get all this stuff from? which site for exhausts? after reading this, i may just change my whole system. and i do have emission tests here, so which sounds the best?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:04 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: johnjay06

I just recently purchased a 03 GT automatic with 20000 miles. I am not really on a budget, and would like to know what mods you guys would go with first. all that is done to the car is flowmasters cut in the exhaust. What would you guys start with? BTW it is a daily driven car
Congrats!
I have a 2003 Vert.
I would get a transmission cooler, like B&M and then change the transmission fluid and filter at the same time.
Next would be a catback exhaust. I'm looking at the Magnaflow but there are many other nice ones.
Take the air filter silencer off. Thats the rubber thing on the end of the filter box.