4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help! Power windows quit on me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:15 PM
RichsDropTopGT

Default Help! Power windows quit on me!

OK, Not sure what happend, but 4 out of 4 power windows wont work. I pulled all the fuses under dash and under hood. did not fine any blown. Its a drop top and I live in NY so I dont drive it to much this time of year, so not sure when it happend. I did put new head light bulbs in it and took out the battrie the other day, but dont see any wires off anywhere, was thinking maybe a bad ground. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Rich
Old 03-22-2007, 04:23 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help! Power windows quit on me!

You have 4 power windows?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:24 PM
RichsDropTopGT

Yeah, I think all the drop tops do.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Does anything else in the car not work?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:41 PM
runninmike

I have an '01 GT convertible, and 1 time my driver's window stopped working. I took it apart and checked the wires and fiddled with it quite a few times and just left it parked in my garage for about a month. Then I was going to take it to my mechanic to let him seek and destroy the problem, and on my way there, the window started to work and has worked ever since. A friend told me that sometimes the switch pad will get a little water in there and cause it to act like mine did. And, it makes sense to me since if you roll the window down just slightly when there is any water on the roof over hanging the window, the water will drop right into the switch control panel-so I am very careful to open my window during rain or condensation. You might try to take the control switch out, and use a hair dryer to try and insure the whole thing is dry-might suprise you in a good way, I hope so.
Best-MC
Old 03-22-2007, 05:47 PM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

similar problem here, the passenger side switch for the window doesnt work (drivers side will lower it tho). I told the dealer and he said hes sendin me a new switch panel. Or could it be wiring? [&:]
Old 03-22-2007, 06:17 PM
4602stang

Mine did it roughly 6 monthes ago. So i figured i would pull it in my garage and tear the dour panel off right. Well to me thats not a fun task so i slamed my door, and wala, it worked. i met another guy sometime later and he said his did the same thing, and he banged on his door and it started to work again. Basically slam your door, not extremly hard though, just a good hard closing and try it again
Old 03-22-2007, 06:25 PM
RichsDropTopGT

Yes, everything on the car is working but the windows. I cant get either side to work, if water got in the DR side, it would seem the pass said would still work. I dont no, Guess its time to take a part and trace the power and the ground and look for a short.

Thanks
Rich
Old 03-22-2007, 06:40 PM
geetee03
5th Gear Member

that happend to my buddies gt,a fuse had gotten kicked out from the fuse box.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 PM
trublu02
1st Gear Member

Don't slam the door! open the door and with the key on, hold the switch down(like your putting the window up) and hit the door panel with the side of your fist-pretty hard-right below the armrest.it'll go right up. I have had this prob twice in 10 months.

[/align]

Quick Reply: Help! Power windows quit on me!