4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What timing should I run on p1-SC?

Old 03-25-2007, 11:58 PM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

Default What timing should I run on p1-SC?

I was wondering what timing ya'll are running on supercharged cars. I have a P1-SC with a 3 core intercooler. It still seems a little sluggish and I am starting to think my timing may be retarded too much. I am running a stock motor on 93 octane.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:14 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What timing should I run on p1-SC?

You should run the timing that the wideband o2 sensor tells you to run to have a good A/F ratio while your car is being custom dyno tuned
Old 03-26-2007, 12:17 AM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

Ok well I bought a LM-1 Wideband O2. What will the sensor tell me about timing? Will it detect detonation or what?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:46 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

20-21 degrees is the max timing you want to use on a stock GT motor with a supercharger according to my tuner. He set mine at 19 degrees with my a/f ratio steady at 12.0:1 at WOT. Not sluggish whatsoever. Matter of fact my tuner started with 15 or 16 degrees and went to 19 degrees and picked up about 40rwhp and 30 rwtq. 19 degrees is very safe. How many miles on your car? Just curious.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:48 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

I have not a clue, but I hope you get it running well. I'm still gonna come look at this beast sometime.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:28 AM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

Well......As far as the miles go I really am embarresed to say only 146,000. I know it is alot but the cars compression was up at about 150 a cylinder, so I am going to run it until it blows and more than likely go with a 5.0 stroker. I am looking for blocks so I can get started on it. After I installed it and finally got a tuner on a SCT tuner I took it out and it feels alot more powerful but less than I thought it would be. I raced a 99 Cobra last night and walked it by about 5-6 cars going into 4th. So I was happy about that. My SCT has a procharger tune, 10% leaner, and 3 degrees advance spark. I am going to try the advance spark tomorrow when I get my wideband installed and tuner it to about 12-1 air/fuel throught the curve. The guy wouldn't tell me what the timing was set at that loaded the tunes which kind of bothers me because I would really like to know. So I am guessing probably 16-17 degrees if not less. I was just trying to get some input after reading an article in MM&FF about with big intercoolers the timing needs to be advanced to reach normal cylinder temps. They added 10 degrees of timing and got I think a little over 200 rwhp.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:39 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

I highly reccomend you seek an SCT certified dealer/tuner with a dyno and let them tweak it for you. They can do so much more with the SCT software than the handheld (by itself) it'll blow your mind. But, timing is where the power is at. Since you already have a base tune file in your Xcal it shouldn't cost too much to have it tweaked on a dyno to get you the most results.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:44 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99StangGTTN

Well......As far as the miles go I really am embarresed to say only 146,000. I know it is alot but the cars compression was up at about 150 a cylinder, so I am going to run it until it blows and more than likely go with a 5.0 stroker. I am looking for blocks so I can get started on it. After I installed it and finally got a tuner on a SCT tuner I took it out and it feels alot more powerful but less than I thought it would be. I raced a 99 Cobra last night and walked it by about 5-6 cars going into 4th. So I was happy about that. My SCT has a procharger tune, 10% leaner, and 3 degrees advance spark. I am going to try the advance spark tomorrow when I get my wideband installed and tuner it to about 12-1 air/fuel throught the curve. The guy wouldn't tell me what the timing was set at that loaded the tunes which kind of bothers me because I would really like to know. So I am guessing probably 16-17 degrees if not less. I was just trying to get some input after reading an article in MM&FF about with big intercoolers the timing needs to be advanced to reach normal cylinder temps. They added 10 degrees of timing and got I think a little over 200 rwhp.
Hey, do you have the SCT Live Link stuff? You can hook that up to your tuner/car/computer and see what your timing is. I have the live link and a lap top if you need it this week.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:44 AM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

I am definately going to get it dyno tuned I just wanted to get it in the ballpark of what I wanted now. I spent almost $700 on the tuner with the custom tunes so I need to pay off the supercharger kit and the tuner before I start thinking about really tweaking the hell out of it. I mean I am really not going to run the car super hard until I get a new engine ready mabe a few races here and there but I want the thing to last another 6 months. But thanks for your help I really appreciate it.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:54 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99StangGTTN

I am definately going to get it dyno tuned I just wanted to get it in the ballpark of what I wanted now. I spent almost $700 on the tuner with the custom tunes so I need to pay off the supercharger kit and the tuner before I start thinking about really tweaking the hell out of it. I mean I am really not going to run the car super hard until I get a new engine ready mabe a few races here and there but I want the thing to last another 6 months. But thanks for your help I really appreciate it.
NP. I hope you get it figured out.

If its still a little sluggish, let me know, and we'll look at it on the live link. We can see your fuel trims, timing, etc....... then you just tweak your current tune to fix whatever we see is wrong. G/L

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What timing should I run on p1-SC?