4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I just had to try it........

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:14 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Default I just had to try it........

Well with all the talk of K&N this and that I decided to give one a try in my 2003 GT.
FWIW I have the stock Ford filter with about 3k on it, air silencer removed and no CAI.
The filter I removed looked brand new.
I picked up a K&N at Advance Autoparts, probably overpaid for it but what the heck.
This is my first personal experience with K&N filters BTW.

The first thing I noticed was how much longer and larger the filter area was compared to the stock unit.
Also the thing is very solid and to my surprise I don't really see/feel any oil on it although I could tell by the plastic bag it came in that it was pre-oiled at the factory. The book said the same thing BTW.
For some reason I expected thig thing to be dripping with oil, hahaha.....

So I installed it and it fit perfectly which surprised me because it seems much bigger.
I started the beast up and immediately I could hear the sound was different.
Kind of like a deeper rushing kind of sound.
The stock filter without silencer kind of whistled and wheezed a bit.
Ok, I like that new sound

I took it out for a spin and to my surprise I could feel a difference.
Not really more power, but a different, crisper feel to the way the throttle reacted especially in the midrange
Being an engineer, albeit an EE, and very suspicious, I have to say I was surprised that the difference was even noticeable.
I really didn't expect to feel any difference at all.
It's very difficult to describe, but I suspect it's similar to what people experience when they go to a larger throttle body.

Overall I am happy with it, but I am going to monitor the intake, MAF etc for residue and excessive dirt etc and see what happens.
Time will tell whether I made a mistake or not, but for now I think it was a good choice for me.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:16 AM
wes ley n the G T
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I just had to try it........

They are a little pricey, but a good investment and slight performance gain for just swapping an air filter IMO.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:18 AM
HOLLYWOOD99
2nd Gear Member

I have always run a K&N in all my cars and motorcycles, honestly i think you cannot beat them.

When you go to clean it though dont dry it with an air compressor (it blows holes in the filter material) and go easy with the oil and you wont have problems with your maf.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:21 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Yeah, don`t know if they are really better or not. I just put one in my `00GT, & it makes me feel better. They are expensive, I think I paid something like $54.00 at AutoZone for it.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:26 AM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

im a big k & n fan as well. my last mustang of 8 years had one the whole time, and i bought one for this mustang the day i got it! love em'!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:33 AM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

I think they're a good investment for the slight improvements you do see. What I noticed the most with my K&N was the improved gas mileage. That alone was worth it considering how much fuel my GT ate up. Anyone else notice this?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:42 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Every car we have is sporting K&N filters, including the 2007 Sport Trac. Keep an eye on your gas mileage; I think you'll see a slight improvement. I know we did in every car so far, especially on the highway. For future purchases, I recommend autoanything.com. I purchased most of mine through them and I've found no one so far with better prices.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:49 AM
bjh061487
3rd Gear Member

they are a little pricey but you can always just buy the recharge kit instead of buying a whole new filter and save money in the long run for a much better product too.

did you but the entire intake system or just the filter because i know the entire system opens the whole thing up and not just the filter?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:00 PM
04MustangGT
2nd Gear Member

LOL...If I switched to a K&N filter...I would never here the end of it. God forbid if I post a thread on how much more better my car feels.