4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SPEC DESTROYED MY TRANS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:10 AM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

Default SPEC DESTROYED MY TRANS!

well guys im sure you all noticed I bashed spec on every thread that asked about em. Well today I finally go the fugger out and clutch release was my whole problem. It got so bad that my whole entire 2nd gear and 3rd synchro assembly were wiped out, the frictions being the worse. It actually damaged my 1st-3rd gear, leaving me with this howling sound everytime i drive. I only had the clutch for a month and it is completly fried, almost damaged my flywheel so bad it had to be replaced. The clutch was down to the rivets and was glazed over, im sure it had to be slipping. Heres some pics of the 1200 miles clutch and proof that spec makes a POS clutch

Old 04-01-2007, 02:20 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: SPEC DESTROYED MY TRANS!

Spec doesn't make junk clutches, it seems like to me you didn't get it installed correctly, or just had a bad part right from the start.

I don't think any of the fastest 5/10 cars here in 4.6 are running anything but spec clutches I have been running the stage 3 for almost 2 years now, and I believe code3 has the spec stage 2.

Spec FTW!

Edit: How did a clutch damage your trans? If it was slipping, it would simply fry the clutch. What do the syncs have to do with your clutch?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:21 AM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

what could of went bad on install?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:25 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Personally I do not think SPEC makes that good of a clutch, people run them because they are affordible and well known, IMO there are better choices out there. Moreover I do not think that the clutch is what destroyed your trans, it could have ben many other things.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:31 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I agree with them. The clutch isn't what destroyed your transmission. The trannys in your car is known for having crap synchros, have a buddy with a 03' GT that had to replace his tranny at 35k... You either have, what the T45 or the 3650? Niether is really great.

I run a spec clutch, and I have absolutly no issues with it. they don't make the BEST clutches, but they're certainly better then a lot of companies. I think it was the install that got you, honestly. More times then not, it's the error of the install that causes these parts to fail.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:18 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

so because yours was toast after 1200 miles, that must mean every single SPEC in existance is bad. even though ones with 10s of thousands of miles.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:12 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

The clutch could have been installed without adjusting it correctly. It looks like to me that it was slipping the entire time, and you defianatly arn't making enough power to slip it.

Regardless, there isn't any way I can see that a clutch would destroy a sync. The Syncs go bad because of speed shifting and being hard on the trans, and because they just generally suck in our stock tranmissions. If it was slipping, it would probably have acutally made it easier on the trans, as it wouldn't be going into gear as hard.

Also, did you replace or resurface the flywheel when you put it in? If you didn't that could be the problem. You are supposed to do this every time no question with any spec install.

It might not be the greatest clutch out there, but for the price nobody beats it. Unless you want to get stupid and pay a grand for a mcleod or something you have no other real choices for a clutch that can hold the power a spec can.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:32 AM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

Could you have reversed the clutch disc? I know usually one side has to go to the fly wheel and the other has to face the pressure plate. Maybe the disc was installed backwards and led to premature failure. If not it is not like I haven't ever bought a part that was bad from the factory. I am sure it has happened to most people.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:41 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I am going to agree with eveyone else on this one. It looks like bad install lead the the destruction of the clutch. Also there is no way the clutch destroyed your tranny. Poor shifting and bad ford parts is the cause of that.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:09 AM
StealthGT2V
2nd Gear Member

Idk, but I'm a skeptic on SPEC clutches.. For many other cars " from what I've heard" SPEC is known as the clutch to stay away from due to their ability to just pop the springs on the clutch for absolutely no reason and other imperfections.They may be "good" for mustangs but I am not going to take my chances and have to roll the dice.

Quick Reply: SPEC DESTROYED MY TRANS!