4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

weird knocking in rear end

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:41 PM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

Default weird knocking in rear end

Ever since i bought this car a year ago when i turn to the right i can hear a knocking noise like something is hittin somethin., its only when i'm turning slowly though its just a fairly audible clunk clunk clunk not slow either its knocks pretty fast. i have no clue what it could be. i have had the rear up and tried lookin for somethin when i changed the springs but i didnt see anything out of the ordinary
Old 04-10-2007, 11:14 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: weird knocking in rear end

I hear the same thing sometimes going slow turning into a parking spotusuallybut I could never figure out wtf it is. [&:]
Old 04-10-2007, 11:16 PM
bowlburner
1st Gear Member

sounds like the rear sway bar might be loose
Old 04-10-2007, 11:19 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

could be the clutch packs in the trac lok

my car was making a slight clunk and it turned out to be the bearing on the pinion gear bouncing around slightly.

Old 04-10-2007, 11:33 PM
03truebluegt
2nd Gear Member

I had the same problem before my car's warrenty expired so I brought it to the dealership. It ended up just being the entire rear end was loose. Try tightening the bolts around the rear end and see if that stops the noise. The noise is totally gone now and hasn't come back for me. Just my $.02.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 PM
03blkstang
2nd Gear Member

are you sure it isnt the exahust tips? i had teh same problem with mine 2 days ago

Old 04-10-2007, 11:55 PM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

ok well i dont think it'd be anything with the ring and pinion because i had the gears done a few months after i got the car. and the noise never changed
Old 04-11-2007, 12:18 AM
Slprstang04

I had it when I would turn slowly thru parking spots it almost sounded like it was coming from the front somtimes as well but it clunked alot in the rear. I have an auburn pro diff with 31 spline axles and frpp 4.10's in mine, and it was actually the u joints in the front and rear for the driveshaft, if u have a higher ratio then a 3.90 I would also suggest doing the aluminum driveshaf from ford racing (it comes with new u joints). I have to add a friction modifier to my rear end still, because now when I go for a LONG drive with the stang I'll hear clunking in the rear when I'm turning, I think the shop that I took too change the diff fluid to may have spaced the modifier ( I supplied the royal purple diff fluid). Hope that helped a little
Old 04-11-2007, 12:30 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Slprstang04

I had it when I would turn slowly thru parking spots it almost sounded like it was coming from the front somtimes as well but it clunked alot in the rear. I have an auburn pro diff with 31 spline axles and frpp 4.10's in mine, and it was actually the u joints in the front and rear for the driveshaft, if u have a higher ratio then a 3.90 I would also suggest doing the aluminum driveshaf from ford racing (it comes with new u joints). I have to add a friction modifier to my rear end still, because now when I go for a LONG drive with the stang I'll hear clunking in the rear when I'm turning, I think the shop that I took too change the diff fluid to may have spaced the modifier ( I supplied the royal purple diff fluid). Hope that helped a little
+1 on the driveshaft when you car is in park you can move driveshaft a little that is most likely it, or controls arms... also when i did my control arms i found a rock inside the frame that is what caused my clunking i could not get it out...... but i ended up pusing it farther down and the noise quit
Old 04-11-2007, 02:46 AM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

Happened to me, my bushing on one of my upper control arms broke off.

Quick Reply: weird knocking in rear end