4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Crank pulley bolt- How do I remove it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 05:12 AM
FDNYBullitt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Crank pulley bolt- How do I remove it?

I guess a lot of guys didn't catch it in your original post that the car is an Automatic so in any gear, brakes applied etc etc is not going to help, the crank will still turn. There is a strap wrench made for this and may be available to rent at places like Auto-Zone etc, unless you have a friend thats a shop tech that could lend it to you. It is used to loosen AND tighten the bolt. The puller is only used to pull the dampener off. If not available, your next step would be an impact gun but even with that, the crank tries to turn. I'd try to find the strap wrench and make life a lot easier, good luck.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:49 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FDNYBullitt

I guess a lot of guys didn't catch it in your original post that the car is an Automatic so in any gear, brakes applied etc etc is not going to help, the crank will still turn. There is a strap wrench made for this and may be available to rent at places like Auto-Zone etc, unless you have a friend thats a shop tech that could lend it to you. It is used to loosen AND tighten the bolt. The puller is only used to pull the dampener off. If not available, your next step would be an impact gun but even with that, the crank tries to turn. I'd try to find the strap wrench and make life a lot easier, good luck.
Finally, someone that pays attention....
Old 04-18-2007, 07:04 AM
1bad00gt

When I said air tools I meant using an impact wrench. If used, the bolt will come right off. doesnt matter. I also agree with everyone that said once you get it off, unless you have an impact wrench, you wont be able to get it tight enough. Surely you know someone who has one.
Also, remove your coolant take to get access. It should only take about 20 minutes to pull and re-bolt the new one on there. If this still didnt help be more specific. I just did mine about a month or so ago.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:26 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Lol funny thread...

As mentioned, Impact gun FTW to take the bolt off and pulley puller to remove the pulley. If the tools are not the problem then there's your answer. There are other ways the bolt and pulley can be taken out but that is easiest, safest way without risk of damage or injury. <--period

+1

You have to undo the dumb coolant tank, pull the fan off, and stick an impact wrench on there. Let me ask this if you can get it off without it how do you plan on gettin it tight enough when you put it back on. You need an Impact wrench a hand tightend crank pulley isnt safe IMO
Thats a very bad idea and a very good way to break the bolt off inside the crank (trust me I found out the hard way). Plus there is a torque sequence for it:

Tighten to 66 ft lbs
Loosen 1 full turn
Tighten to 36 ft lbs
Tighten and aditional 90 degrees
Old 04-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Hmm, I put my car in second gear and used a breaker bar to remove the nut. The crank spun a little at first but once it was loose I just took it off by hand. After that the pulley remover did the rest. Try what oxfordgt said withholding thealternator pulley. Anything that will hold the belt from moving will work. Maybe a shop towl rapped around something.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:13 PM
newb2000GT
4th Gear Member

If you don't have the strap wrench the old school guys use the old rag and wrench trick. If you have a decent sized rag you can roll it up and tie it around the pulley. Leave enough slack in it to get a fairly long open end wrench in there and twist until it tightens up. Once it's tight, you need a buddy to pull on it and hold it to keep the pulley from spinning. An air gun works better due to the instant torque it will generate but it can be done with hand tools. Put the stronger guy on the rag/wrench and go for it.