4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN ENGINE 56K beware

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 01:26 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN ENGINE

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

She's done!!!!!!!!!! Started right up. Had some ticking but that was just the lash adjusters needing to fill, its gone now. Got to break her in now. Got some smoke coming from the exhaust but I think that is just the oil that was inside of the headers when the engine failed. Ill give more updates later and try to get a video.
sweet man.. i have a day or two work left on mine... all i have left are headers, a/c, crank pulley, and powersteering pump, then of course all the fluids... no big job at all.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:29 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

I took the car for a drive today and I don't like the spec stage 1 clutch. It engages almost to the top of the pedal. My old clutch engaged at about the mid point. I looked like it was my first time driving a clutch out there.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:34 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

I took the car for a drive today and I don't like the spec stage 1 clutch. It engages almost to the top of the pedal. My old clutch engaged at about the mid point. I looked like it was my first time driving a clutch out there.
hmmm... my spec stage 2 use to engage almost near the bottom of the pedal.. wonder why it does that?
Old 04-22-2007, 01:41 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

That power steering pump is no joke. I bought some locking washers that looked like weapons. I thought I took a pic of them but I cant find it. They lock the headers on so good that I will have to take the studs out when I install the turbos because they hold the headers in place even without the nuts. You should try to find them, they had spikes on either side of them that dug into the header flange and nut.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:46 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

hmmm.... ever if i cant find them, im not too worried... it looks like i can get to all the header bolts without taking the k member even off the car.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:49 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Throwing them up is nothing with a tubed k. I left the driverside off when I droped the motor in because the steering shaft has to run thru it. We through the header up and had it bolted down in 20 min. I love the tubed K.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:52 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

yea, im loving mine as well... what i liked was i got under the car and can see my exhuast valves. i dont think i will ever own another mustang without a tubular k... just for the reason of how everything is much easier to install with it.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:56 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Yeah. The twin turbo kit Im ordering comes with a tubed K and I thought about telling them dont want it cause I already have it but Im going to get it anyways and throw it on my wifes car. She will be getting my longtubes.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:09 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

yea, do the k member when you do the headers.. i made that mistake the first time... if i did the k member first, i wouldnt have had any trouble at all getting it to work.. only reason why i got a k member now is my motor wouldnt clear without a k member because of the oil pan. since the car is a vert, i will see some decent weight loss since it also removed that X brace thing that wasnt tooo light that mounted to the k member
Old 04-22-2007, 02:19 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Here are the washers I used.

Quick Reply: HOW TO BUILD YOUR OWN ENGINE 56K beware