4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2 questions

Old 04-25-2007, 02:04 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 2 questions

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

i say gears and cams, or cams and exhaust if youre worried about the gears hurting your gas mileage
which would be a blast on the street, but not worth a crap if you spin all the way down the track on street tires.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:10 AM
superman71

I want the best of both worlds What tires do they make that are $300 bucks a tire? So if I chip it,intake, exchaust and run it down the track I am pretty much just spinning my tires the whole time?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:17 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

Don't bother with the CAI. If anything, look for a slightly used intake off of Ebay or the for sale section here. You buy new and $250 of your grand is gone with no gains to show for it.

If you don't want to go nitrous...and are soley interested in quarter mile times...
-Do gears. Do a search here to research them a bit. They are discussed a TON. W/O nitrous this should be a WILL DO on your list.

Optionals:
-Short throw shifter, mines an auto, so do a search [8D] (This actually might belong in the WILL DO list)
-Suspension. Lowering springs will hurt traction. Get new shocks/struts, upper and lower control arms, and subframe connectors. Some GTs have been known to get into low 13's with little more than good suspension setups.
-Tuner, instead of a superchip/speedchip. Won't add much hp stock, but will adjust speedo for gears.
-Exhaust. Will only add a few hp but will make the car sound like it should. Catback and midpipe at least.
-Sticky tires, if you don't already have them.

You won't make any big power on a 2v without a lot more than a thousand bones. You can get a good start though.

Adam was right about the stock times, but I have learned that it greatly depends on your elevation. See this thread too. Its a goodun.

This isn't nessicarrily true. you can do a drop on the car and still get improved traction. the front fox 4cyl springs and rear roush springs dropped the car pretty well, but its still hooking far far better than stock.

For 1000 bucks, I would look into getting a set of 3.73s or 4.10s installed (400?). After that, get a set of adjustable shocks/struts (450?). that leaves you with enough (150) for a set of lower control arms. With a setup like that, you will sure be maximising your launch on street tires.

if your still spinning then look into some drag radials. you can drive a tire like a nitto as a DD if you don't drive like 30K a year. i get about 10-12K out of em.
This would be the best way to lose secs off your e/t,
The gears will move you into the powerband quicker. The control arms and shocks/struts will help with valuable traction off the line.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:39 AM
cammed99gt
4th Gear Member

If u dont go to the track very much like i do dont worry about the best tires or susp.I know its not good but im more of a street racer right nowand most of the runs i do is from a roll or something like that.LTs and a mid pipe then gears is the best thing for the streets.But if u are planing to use these mods just at the track the guys above me knowwhat their talking aboutwhen they say tires and susp. work done.I use to go to the track all the time with my old cars but now im broke and cant afford breaking something at the track.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:21 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cammed99gt

If u dont go to the track very much like i do dont worry about the best tires or susp.I know its not good but im more of a street racer right nowand most of the runs i do is from a roll or something like that.LTs and a mid pipe then gears is the best thing for the streets.But if u are planing to use these mods just at the track the guys above me knowwhat their talking aboutwhen they say tires and susp. work done.I use to go to the track all the time with my old cars but now im broke and cant afford breaking something at the track.
I thought the same exact thing until I did my suspension.

Its an entirely differnt car now, both on the street and track, than it was before. I didn't think suspnesion was going to make that big of a dif on the street, boy was I surprised.

I went from spinning 315 nittos all the way thru 1st and most of 2nd to not spinning at all. I can launch at around 2500-3000 RPM on the street and hook with zero tire spin all the way thru 1st if I do my part... before even just letting it out at idle and then going WOT spun the tires.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Its an entirely differnt car now, both on the street and track, than it was before. I didn't think suspnesion was going to make that big of a dif on the street, boy was I surprised.

I went from spinning 315 nittos all the way thru 1st and most of 2nd to not spinning at all. I can launch at around 2500-3000 RPM on the street and hook with zero tire spin all the way thru 1st if I do my part... before even just letting it out at idle and then going WOT spun the tires.
I wonder when I go kb, if my suspension mods and my 295 toyo's will hold up=P
Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

What did you do for your suspension? How much was the install?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:37 PM
cammed99gt
4th Gear Member

i guess i cant tell very much because mine already had some susp. work done to mine when i bought it.And its been about the only 99-04 i have driven beside a freinds 99 cobra