4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help! New to suspension stuff....driving with broken coils!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:06 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help! New to suspension stuff....driving with broken coils!!

ORIGINAL: cjhstang

heh...about the accident. two years ago i layed down some rubber making a right turn at a red light... back end fishtailed like any other time, was hogging the two lane highway (at 1:00am) thought everything was under control. bumped the median w my tire, spun me 180 degrees and kept goin... managed to jump a curb, scuffed everything under the car and slammed my driver quarter pannel into a pole. P.S. only thing going through my mind was the $5k JL system sitting in my trunk that was installed a month before was headed directly for a pole...

Anyways, miraculously, Spanky's auto shop did an incredible cut and weld job on the quarter panel. I replaced my cat backs with borla side exhaust cause the mufflers were pushed up just enough to break their seal. Thought everything was great till about a month ago i bled my brakes and when the wheel was off realized the spring was broken at the same wheel well as the quarter panel that was replaced. My guess it was just fractured at the time then it broke down the road.

You say Eibach springs sag?? what do you mean, they loose their tension?
Alrighty, yes, that is what I mean by sagging.

This may not be a case of snap oversteer but if your rear end swung out pretty quick then this would most likely be the culprit of that accident. Having the rear end swing out is normal in a wild turn like that but if you had traction all the way up to a point (it seemed like you'd be able to pull through the turn) then all of a sudden the rear comes out, that is snap oversteer. The cause of that is the uca's in your rear began to bind up and could nothandle the amount of torque it was being put through. If that sounds like what happend to you then you may wanna look into a 3 link rear system and get rid of the uca's.

Before I give you much of a suspension setup or suggestions without trying to understand what your aiming at, and hp/tq levels your gonna shoot for.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:13 AM
cjhstang

Well, to put it this way... this is my first car, i'm 21 and plan to keep it forever (don't we all say that). Its gettin ready to be garage kept, and no more the daily driver as soon as my truck is runnin again. adventually i wanna get a 5.4 d.o.h.c. w/ maybe a turbo or twin turbo set up on it some juice. so ultimately possibly near 800-900hp once all said and done.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:15 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

What is your goal? just a 800-900 rwhp garage queen? or a autocrosser, dragracer, open tracker??
Old 04-27-2007, 04:19 AM
cjhstang

I'm going to have to say the garage kept queen show car. with the occasional stomp of an import...
Old 04-27-2007, 04:48 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

hrmms, well i would suggest some heavy duty lca's to help plant the rear better, wider tires for more grip in the rear(or drag radials), upgrade front brakes(for that much hp/tq I would suggest at the very least a 4 pot caliper 14"rotor setup) and if your going for a show car i would recommend the airbag suspension to give you a nice adjustable look.

Other then that I wont be able to help much more heh I'm more into autox and open track events so my knowledge on suspension is less showie and more performance.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:55 AM
cjhstang

Yeah... not bad. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Here's a link to a good webpage about changing the handling of a Mustang.
http://www.miracerros.com/mustang/t_suspension.htm
Old 04-27-2007, 11:08 AM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Since you swung it like so into the pole, you may also want to check the torque boxes for squareness, check the mounting points for the UCA's for squareness, and maybe check the thrust angle to make sure you didn't accidentally kick the rear axle out in the other direction...

Just a suggestion...

JT
Old 04-27-2007, 03:34 PM
cjhstang

Chopper--- Thanks for the link. That info is great