4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Sorry guys...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 04:47 PM
JonnGT

Default Sorry guys...

I know there is a lot of "rattling noises" posts out there, but none of them seemed to answer my question.

So the other day I met with the guy I bought my 1996 Mustang GT from to get the BBK X-Pipe he had, then went over to a buddies house to install it. We got everything off except for the O2 sensors and the front-most passenger side header nut off when we got to the point where it was getting too late to finish it all tonight, so we put everything back just the way it was, triple checked the tightness of the nuts and the positioning of the stock h-pipe and set the car down.

Well while on my way home I hit a few bumpy spots, and a bad rattling sound came from the back right of the car, you can slightly, SLIGHTLY, hear it while I run over a man hole or whatever with my rear left tire, but it's very loud with the rear right. We've lifted the car several times to recheck everything and can't find the problem.

I'm convinced he dropped a washer into the heat sync or something but I don't know if it would make the sound that bad.

Also my final question is, does anyone know of any guides for installing a BBK X-pipe into a '96 4.6L V8 stang? I know it's simple and just bolt on, but when it comes to the O2 sensors and such, I just want to make SURE.

Until recently I've driven imports, and I've completely fallen in love with my stang, I want to make sure I don't mess anything up. Haha...

Anyway thanks guys!
Old 05-01-2007, 05:01 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Sorry guys...

The axle could be bumping into the catback portion of the exhaust... I know before my pipe after the muffler managed to sneak its way all the way out of the muffler I'd get a clunk when going over bumps coming from the rear. Just be sure there's clearance back there... Everything is probably fine.

I swapped my midpipe less than a week ago. If you have any questions PM me about it.

For the O2 sensors, leave them in the pipe till you get the pipe out of the car. Just reach up and unplug them from the harnesses... You don't need a screwdriver or anything, you push the tab on the harness down and it should slide right out. You'll just have difficulty reaching the frontconnections (mine were essentially on top of the transmission). After you get the pipe dropped, take it out and set it aside and find a wrench to fit the sensor, hold it on there and give it a little kick to break it loose. Install them back into the new pipe before you put the new pipe under the car, just tighten them down to about as tight as they were in the old pipe. I looked for a torque rating from Ford for them but could not find one.

The exhaust manifold/midpipe connection bolts are only supposed to be torqued to 30 ft/lbs but that is definitely not enough, just snug them up pretty good and you'll be good to go. If it's an off road mid pipe, consider getting MIL's (or better yet, make your own as I did, 500 miles so far and no CEL). Buying some will be $60-80, making your own will cost $6, and I still have 3 resistors left over
Old 05-02-2007, 05:50 PM
JonnGT

I think I may have found the issue, it seems like the rear strut bar is clinging against something whenever the car goes over a bump on the right side...

Is it possible to juss bend the strut bar to not cling anymore or will it be more complicated than that?

The wierd part is, yes my car is lowered a lot, but I don't remember scrapping or hitting any speed bumps or whatever hard enough to bend a strut bar... =/
Old 05-02-2007, 06:09 PM
DEALBRk
1st Gear Member

You talking about the sway bar?