4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

is this true about off road x-pipe?

Old 05-02-2007, 03:16 AM
zanderwitaz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: is this true about off road x-pipe?

DO NOT listen to the people here. listen to your mechanic.Ive had my offroad X pipe on my car for 45k miles. after having it for33k miles, It wasnt running as well as it used to and then one day smoke started coming out from under my hood. It smelled like oil, so I pulled over to check it out. aparently there was oil coming out from the fasteners on my passenger side valve cover, which was dripping down onto the block and evaporating. There was alsosome gummy dried fluid around my PCV valve. (positive crankshaft rotation valve).I took it into my mechanicimmediately. they said the high flow of my exhaust relieves the backpressure in the cylinder head and what not, and that a lotttttt more stuff is flowing through the cylinder heads than normally. Apparently for me, It had been going on long enough for my valve to get almost completely clogged. the pressure of the engine during use pushed the oil out of my valve covers, but it also created another problem.
The brakes on our cars use an assist from the pressure of the cylinder heads to aid the pressure needed to apply the brakes. since the pressure wasnt being expelled properly in my valves,the seal between my master cylinder and firewall gave out and I had to get that fixed as well. they fixed it and said I'll be fine if i change my pcv valve in another 30k miles. well, my engine is starting to run bad again. It idles poorly and isnt consistent in its performance (and no, its not the plugs) Its almost time for another fix.
one more thing, about your leaned out fuel ratio. that is completely normalfor an offroad X. he is right though, about those cats fixing that particular problem. no backpressure = less torque off the very bottom, and a lean mix ratio.
youre mechanic knows what hes talking about, I doubt anyone else in here is a mechanic or truely knows what their X pipe is doing to their car. (for those who have an offroad X here. )

good luck on your car
Old 05-02-2007, 03:24 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zanderwitaz

DO NOT listen to the people here. listen to your mechanic.Ive had my offroad X pipe on my car for 45k miles. after having it for33k miles, It wasnt running as well as it used to and then one day smoke started coming out from under my hood. It smelled like oil, so I pulled over to check it out. aparently there was oil coming out from the fasteners on my passenger side valve cover, which was dripping down onto the block and evaporating. There was alsosome gummy dried fluid around my PCV valve. (positive crankshaft rotation valve).I took it into my mechanicimmediately. they said the high flow of my exhaust relieves the backpressure in the cylinder head and what not, and that a lotttttt more stuff is flowing through the cylinder heads than normally. Apparently for me, It had been going on long enough for my valve to get almost completely clogged. the pressure of the engine during use pushed the oil out of my valve covers, but it also created another problem.
The brakes on our cars use an assist from the pressure of the cylinder heads to aid the pressure needed to apply the brakes. since the pressure wasnt being expelled properly in my valves,the seal between my master cylinder and firewall gave out and I had to get that fixed as well. they fixed it and said I'll be fine if i change my pcv valve in another 30k miles. well, my engine is starting to run bad again. It idles poorly and isnt consistent in its performance (and no, its not the plugs) Its almost time for another fix.
one more thing, about your leaned out fuel ratio. that is completely normalfor an offroad X. he is right though, about those cats fixing that particular problem. no backpressure = less torque off the very bottom, and a lean mix ratio.
youre mechanic knows what hes talking about, I doubt anyone else in here is a mechanic or truely knows what their X pipe is doing to their car. (for those who have an offroad X here. )

good luck on your car
wow.... if that is true people with open headers would have detonation up the *** .... My engine would have crapped itself those times I drove it open headers, after I ran my gt after I took off my stock h. only thing that really is semi true is the backpressure... After you remove your stock hpipe whether you replace it with an offroad pipe or a catted pipe the backpressure difference/torque loss is soo miniscule its negligible on a stock stang.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:27 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

good luck on your car
everything you have posted is complete and utter bs. There have been more than a few (lots) of members with a offroad X or H with no problems. Your mechanic is taking you for a ride.

I have had my o/r X on for something like 30K miles. Making 420 WHP with the xpipe and no problems... its not the x pipe.

Torque is not effected in any negitive way with the o/r X. Backpressure is a MYTH. The math has been done a hundred times, not to mention I have personally seen the dyno results on my car... there was no reduction in TQ, far from it. The X improved power in every part of the range, both horsepower and torque.

Also, cylinder head pressure (otherwise known as compression) doesn't have anything to do with the brakes.

PCV does not stand for "postiive crankshaft rotation valve" lol. it stands for postiive crankshaft ventilation (hence it not having a "R" in the name). The PCV valve has absolutly nothing to do with the airflow thru the cylinder heads... its not even in the pathway.The air flowsinto the intake, thru the heads, into the combustion chamber, and out of the exhaust...it doesn'tdo anythingwith the crankcase. The crankcase needs to be vented as temperatures rise so you don't have positive pressure and force oil out the pan... its got nothing to do with the heads.

Sofar as an offroadX causing problems because it puts more airflow thru the cylinder head... thats what it supposed to do. your engine is nothing more than a large air pump, the more airyou get into it (along with more fuel) the more power youmake. I think its safe to say that there are quite a few people on here making alot more power (and thus more air into the engine) with no problems... simply becausewhat your saying makes absolutly no since.

I think I would rethink the person I call my "mechanic" if I were you... he is taking you for a ride. Not to be a jackass, but you should not be giving out tech information at this time... you don't seem to even have a basic understanding of how the engine works.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:06 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

good luck on your car
everything you have posted is complete and utter bs. There have been more than a few (lots) of members with a offroad X or H with no problems. Your mechanic is taking you for a ride.

I have had my o/r X on for something like 30K miles. Making 420 WHP with the xpipe and no problems... its not the x pipe.

Torque is not effected in any negitive way with the o/r X. Backpressure is a MYTH. The math has been done a hundred times, not to mention I have personally seen the dyno results on my car... there was no reduction in TQ, far from it. The X improved power in every part of the range, both horsepower and torque.

Also, cylinder head pressure (otherwise known as compression) doesn't have anything to do with the brakes.

PCV does not stand for "postiive crankshaft rotation valve" lol. it stands for postiive crankshaft ventilation (hence it not having a "R" in the name). The PCV valve has absolutly nothing to do with the airflow thru the cylinder heads... its not even in the pathway.The air flowsinto the intake, thru the heads, into the combustion chamber, and out of the exhaust...it doesn'tdo anythingwith the crankcase. The crankcase needs to be vented as temperatures rise so you don't have positive pressure and force oil out the pan... its got nothing to do with the heads.

Sofar as an offroadX causing problems because it puts more airflow thru the cylinder head... thats what it supposed to do. your engine is nothing more than a large air pump, the more airyou get into it (along with more fuel) the more power youmake. I think its safe to say that there are quite a few people on here making alot more power (and thus more air into the engine) with no problems... simply becausewhat your saying makes absolutly no since.

I think I would rethink the person I call my "mechanic" if I were you... he is taking you for a ride. Not to be a jackass, but you should not be giving out tech information at this time... you don't seem to even have a basic understanding of how the engine works.
[sm=owned.gif][sm=roll.gif]
Old 05-02-2007, 04:28 AM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

if o/r x ****ed up you're car so bad..every website wouldn't sell them lol.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:37 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

I ran my car open headers from the shop and now that I have the full exhaust put on with the off road H my car runs like crap. My friend said I might have burned out my vavle seals which I just had replaced. I have heard that open headers really does a number on you motor.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:54 AM
cahtr6
3rd Gear Member

More bad advice from friends and mechanics people have been running open headers on the track and on the streets longer than most of you have been around it will not harm your valves or seals.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:59 AM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

Ok good. Tomorrow I am getting my exhaust welded up good so I hope the crappy idle problem goes away.