4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

**Update**What should i do? 98 Cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:46 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Default **Update**What should i do? 98 Cobra?

I am considering a trade for a 98 Black on black Cobra with 8,800 original miles. It has been garage kept and looks brand new....

I was wanting an 03/04 cobra but for being 18... even though i could afford it i figure that is still alot of car for me! So im really looking into this cobra..

So first off... What do you guys think i should do?

And im also wondering what kind of potential, problems, and etc comes along with these. I know that they are right around 300hp but how much potential do they really have? How big of #s could i make before i really needed to start replacing things? Are parts hard to find for 98 Cobras?

Anyways.... Alot for me to think about.... Help me out!
Old 05-03-2007, 03:04 AM
99roushgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What should i do? 98 Cobra?

How would the trade work, would the guy give you cash plus his car or would you give your 03 gt for a 98 straight up??? If he dont give you cash i would definately not do it. But if theres some cahs going on i would do it, the interior is exactly the same the only thing you would suffer from is your going from a car that looks hot to a ugly *** car. But if you get cash for a blower new short block some n20 and whatnot i would rather the 98 cobra. My buddy has a 98 cobra lowered CAI and exhaust and runs 14.0 its not bad but not good either im sure you run that in your GT. Its a hard decision and only you know what you truely want.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:23 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99roushgt

How would the trade work, would the guy give you cash plus his car or would you give your 03 gt for a 98 straight up??? If he dont give you cash i would definately not do it. But if theres some cahs going on i would do it, the interior is exactly the same the only thing you would suffer from is your going from a car that looks hot to a ugly *** car. But if you get cash for a blower new short block some n20 and whatnot i would rather the 98 cobra. My buddy has a 98 cobra lowered CAI and exhaust and runs 14.0 its not bad but not good either im sure you run that in your GT. Its a hard decision and only you know what you truely want.
I dont think you stated a single fact? Yes i am wanting some cash as well... But even though my book is higher his car is a rarer car. And the looks is all opinion... I happen to love that model. And have you ever actually seen the interior of your buddies car? The seats are MUCH better in the sn95s surprisingly.... So much more comfortable. And how can a GT run high 13s stock with much less power than the cobra but the cobra cant?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:42 AM
99roushgt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

ORIGINAL: 99roushgt

I dont think you stated a single fact? Yes i am wanting some cash as well... But even though my book is higher his car is a rarer car. And the looks is all opinion... I happen to love that model. And have you ever actually seen the interior of your buddies car? The seats are MUCH better in the sn95s surprisingly.... So much more comfortable. And how can a GT run high 13s stock with much less power than the cobra but the cobra cant?

Your correct as well as a moron. I didnt state 1 single fact??????? My buddies car runs 14.0 is a fact because ive been theyre several times seeing it. I do not know what cars run where your from or what kind of supercar an 03 gt is where your from but here at 3,000 ft elevation you can be lucky to see a mid 14 in a 03 gt and low 14's on a 98 cobra. Hell the 03/04 cobras only get mid 13's out here. You are correct on the seat comfort that is the only thing you have going for you about that car being better than yours. You need to wash the sand out of your ****, re-read your question above sit and think about it and ask yourself if it is or isnt going to recieve opinion based answer. Noone is going to sit down with you with a car and driver add and review all the facts on the 98 cobra. So trade the guy get ripped off i was just trying to make some conversation with you seeing noone had entertained your post yet.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Does anyone thats not a Redass lovin *** have an opinion?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:04 AM
ponysnake99
4th Gear Member

numbers like that i would jump on it. If he's gonna give a little extra (depending on what it is) you could forge the bottom end and you would have no problem holding any mod you could think of. the block on those things is amazing. The only problem i know if is the wierd power curve they have but thats something that can be fixed or gotten used to. 8800 is unbelievable
Old 05-03-2007, 11:05 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Well, I know you've been up and down and what you wanna do but I'll try and add my $.02 worth. Is this a car that you really want... or just something to hold you over till you get an 03/04 cobra? I myself think the 96-98 cobra's are very nice and a good car to have. They are in the range of 300 hp. If its kept in good condition, I would say go for it. Any mods done on it? Be sure to check that over well and see if he hada tune put in it or whatever.

I'm still gonna tell ya to wait on an 03/04 Cobra to come up but I'm biased of course. What I really suggest you do is drive this 98 Cobra and see how it feels... and then go take a ride with someone in a 03/04 cobra. You will know more how you feel about both and make a better decision for yourself IMO. I've attached a couple of links below about the SN95 Cobra's. Should be a good read for ya.

Basic Mods for the SN95 Cobra
SN95 Common Issues
Old 05-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

It is 100% factory.. Ill get some pics up in a sec.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Im not really sure what i want to do. An 03/04 Cobra is my dream car.... but it is alot of money. I love the sn95 cobras as well but im not 100% sure that i still wouldnt want an 03/04.... Anyways here are some pics.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:54 AM
silverstang1996
5th Gear Member

i'd deffinetly jump on that, any 4.6 cobra can have good power, its basically like the 03/04 cobra's if you slap a supercharger on it, but it will be faster, depending what PSI it's on of course. i know some guy on here is putting down 412rwhp N/A.

Quick Reply: **Update**What should i do? 98 Cobra?