4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

bored out engine?

Old 05-03-2007, 03:34 PM
white venom
baby poop

Default bored out engine?

everyone keeps telling me i should bore out my engine?

what does that exactly mean?
what does it do?
does it gain hp?
is it bad for your engine?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:35 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default RE: bored out engine?

You only want to bore an engine if your building it just to clean up the cylinder walls really good. If you bore your engine .030 over you'll gain about 4 cubic inches and no horse power.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:37 PM
white venom
baby poop

oh. so its not worth the money? eh.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

In your application, boring won't get you any gains. Not to mention it requires completely tearing down your engine...
Old 05-03-2007, 03:41 PM
white venom
baby poop

oh well screw that then. hah ill just stick to bolt ons
Old 05-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: gilbert00

what does it do?
does it gain hp?
Who is "everyone"? A bored out engine is can also be referred to a stroked engine. Bored means the piston walls are ground to allow a larger diameter combustion chamber, a stroked engine means the length of the combustion stroke is longer than stock.

Just curious because while it will help you gain HP/TQ it's not as simple as it sounds. You will need to do a complete tear down of the motor, possibly use sleeves for the newly bored pistons as the block will be weakened with the thinning of the walls, oversized rings and/or pistons and since you're at it, you may as well put all new forged components into the block.

Stroking also includes a new crankshaft, new rods and perhaps a different oil pan and valves. It's usually best to match the cam shaft with the stroke change to take full advantage of the longer stroke. Since stroking the motor usually means you increase your compression ration, depending on how much stroke you add you may push your way out of a super charger or turbo.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:45 PM
white venom
baby poop

oic. haha yeah everyone= all my friends, lol. yeah i dont think im gonna do it. sounds like too much work?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:48 PM
hotrod7687
3rd Gear Member

When you bore an engine, the cylinders are enlarges a very slight ammount ( .030-.060 normally) Just to clear out any imperfections in the bores. This is done when rebuilding an engine and unless you are theres absolutely no need to do it. Boring will give you almost no hp gains(mabey1-5 hp ifyour lucky)and is done only for cylinder wall maintinence.

They might be confusing that with a stroker kit. A stroker kit will give you a significant gain in displacement. It normally does this by making the crank stroke longer. You can see some decent power gains with a stroker kit.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:01 PM
roush17
3rd Gear Member

I would just save your money for FI.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:56 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: gilbert00

what does it do?
does it gain hp?
Who is "everyone"? A bored out engine is can also be referred to a stroked engine. Bored means the piston walls are ground to allow a larger diameter combustion chamber, a stroked engine means the length of the combustion stroke is longer than stock.

Just curious because while it will help you gain HP/TQ it's not as simple as it sounds. You will need to do a complete tear down of the motor, possibly use sleeves for the newly bored pistons as the block will be weakened with the thinning of the walls, oversized rings and/or pistons and since you're at it, you may as well put all new forged components into the block.

Stroking also includes a new crankshaft, new rods and perhaps a different oil pan and valves. It's usually best to match the cam shaft with the stroke change to take full advantage of the longer stroke. Since stroking the motor usually means you increase your compression ration, depending on how much stroke you add you may push your way out of a super charger or turbo.
A bored engine is NOT refered to as stroked, they are two seperate things. Also boring does not enlarge the combustion chamber, it enlarges the cyclinder bores. The combustion chamber is part of the head.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bored out engine?