4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Thinking about getting rid of my car... talk me out of it

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Octane
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking about getting rid of my car... talk me out of it

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

First, I mean all of this to be helpful--please don't get upset if it sounds a bit condescending or "in your face"...[/align][/align]Instead of speculating and haphazardly changing parts you should work the problem--1st thing is fix the P1151 code.The PCMthinks it running lean because of a bad connection or faulty sensor (no or low voltage output = lean), and is richening the mix to compensate (thecomputerdoesn't know its not really running lean, all it knows is what the O2 sensors tell it). There's a very good chance that correcting this problem will fix the bad idle andpoor mileage issues.[/align][/align]As for the plug blowing out, was it properly torqued (13 lb.ft. using an accurate torque wrench) when installed? Tapered seat plugs in aluminum heads (actually all spark plugs, but gasketed ones are more tolerant) should be torqued to spec on installtion. Failing to do so, unless you are a very experienced wrench turner, is asking for problems.I torque 'em every time and have never had a plug blow out in over 45 years, yet it seems to happen all the time around here?[/align][/align]Onelast comment: You need to get it running properly before you bolt-on any more stuff; if you don't then I guarantee things will just get worse...[/align][/align]
+1.
I would definetly try everything first. Afterall you put money into it, and I doubt you could ever sell it for as much as it is worth to YOU. My earlier post is a good alternative if you find a good deal, and can strip your worthy parts and apply to a new car, then sell your old for reasonable price vs. a trade-in value. Definetely try to milk your current car if another car is only 'as good' as what you have now. If you have a better car in sight, and can pull off a good upgrade without much cost, do that.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

sell it.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

i would strongly recommend doing something with the 02 sensors. when i got my car back from the dyno the first time around it threw a similar code at me. the idle acted funny. it would drop and then rise and drop and then rise. definitely do something with these. you could try taking it to a tuner so he can check the a/f. if you have a handheld tuner, just turn off the damn 02 sensors, see if that helps.
I have the rear O2s turned off with my tuner. It is the front passanger side O2. I worked all day today for 10 hours so I will have to jack my car up when I have time and see if the extender didn't pop off that side. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mark99GT

ORIGINAL: likenew94stang

If any of you guys say that there is something "wrong" with that stang...your crazy. Look Im not saying that your car runs perfect but man...you have a MUSCLE car w/ 100k miles on it...what in gods name do you expect? You have a lot more options than you act like you have. For example, take it to a good mechanic that knows a lot about mustangs. Figure out the idle issue and take it to have it dyno tuned. It will run much better. The more money you spend on this type of stuff, the better condition your car will stay in.

You're pissing away your money on that new motor end unless you're smoking bad, oil usage issues or something.

It's frustrating to hear people bitch about the quality of mustang...but it's always the people that spend all their money on mods and not on maintenance.

You need a car w/ 25k miles or more care for the one you have.

Keep it and give it a chance
I hate the "its a muscle car what do you expect" excuse. If you beat on the car and dont mantain it then I agree, expect failures. However a properly mantained 4.6 mod motor should last 150,000 + miles. Even if they're run hard.AnICE is not new technology and Ford has had about 100 years to perfect theirs. There is no reason not to expectit to last. They're proven in thousands of taxis and police cars. If its not lasting that long and its been cared for it's a quality issue. I'd be complaining too. Quality is one of Fords biggest issues.

As for wasting money, how is a forged bottom end a waste? Its a solid platform for future mods and better suited for abuse.

Ido agree with one point though.Take it to a competent mechanic, spend the cash and get the car running sound. At least it will have trade in value should you then decide to move on.
Yeah I agree about it should last. I baby my caranddon't beat on it that is whyI'mso pissed that **** breaks. Oil is changed every 3,000 or so with full sythethic, 2 sets of brand new plugs, new fuel filter, new air filter, practically brand new heads and I have only put 15,000 of the 101,000 on the car. If I had to get a new motor down the road it would deff be a forged bottom end because it is worth it.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

First, I mean all of this to be helpful--please don't get upset if it sounds a bit condescending or "in your face"...[/align][/align]Instead of speculating and haphazardly changing parts you should work the problem--1st thing is fix the P1151 code.The PCMthinks it running lean because of a bad connection or faulty sensor (no or low voltage output = lean), and is richening the mix to compensate (thecomputerdoesn't know its not really running lean, all it knows is what the O2 sensors tell it). There's a very good chance that correcting this problem will fix the bad idle andpoor mileage issues.[/align][/align]As for the plug blowing out, was it properly torqued (13 lb.ft. using an accurate torque wrench) when installed? Tapered seat plugs in aluminum heads (actually all spark plugs, but gasketed ones are more tolerant) should be torqued to spec on installtion. Failing to do so, unless you are a very experienced wrench turner, is asking for problems.I torque 'em every time and have never had a plug blow out in over 45 years, yet it seems to happen all the time around here?[/align][/align]Onelast comment: You need to get it running properly before you bolt-on any more stuff; if you don't then I guarantee things will just get worse...[/align][/align]
Yeah I haven't drivin it and I work 10-12 hour days on friday, saturday, and sundays so I will have to check it out when I have time. I am gonna check the O2 extention to make sure it is still connected. With the spark plugs, I just got done installing my heads after they got reconditioned and the one plug would not go in hand tight and I know it wasn't cross threaded. Once I felt that it wouldn't get tight I knew it was gonna blow. I have 2 friends with new egdes and both of them had spark plugs blow. The one friend always torques his too.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustanggt9589

Buy a cobra...sounds like you just got a ****ty one no offense. I've had two mustangs and a firebird and my firebird was such a pain in the ***** with **** going all the time. I love my mustangs neither has seen the shop in 3 years and one has 160,000 miles.....but if u have ur heart on selling it do it.
My friend had a **** load of problems with this '96 TA before he crashed it in a DUI / underage incident. Lately it seems that we have been having a lot of problems with our cars. My other friends new edge has a knock and my other friend has a '99 Dakota R/T with a blown motor because a bolt fell out of his intake and ****ed it up.