4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:29 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Default Brakes

I had a problem with my front brakes, and now one rotor is really F-ed up. I don't think I can, but I wanted to be sure, can I just replace that one side, or do I have to replace both sides? If I do have to replace both sides, what would be some good options that won't break the bank? Would this be a good option, or is there something better for not much more money? http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...roducts_id=591

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:15 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Brakes

Anyone have any input?
Old 05-06-2007, 03:54 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Yes you can replace just one side and it will be fine.

The Cobra upgrade is a good one if you need to replace both sides, however, it will be cheaper to replace it with stock stuff. Up to you. Save a few bucks and get slotted + drilled rotors. Find just the calipers (NO you do not need new lines) and find some rotors. I foundmy slotted/drilled rotors for $75 ea for the front. They were supposed to be zinc washed but weren't so they have some cosmetic rust marks where the brake pad doesn't scrape, no big deal.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:35 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Thanks a lot man. Where did you get the rotors from?
Old 05-06-2007, 03:13 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SINISTER

Thanks a lot man. Where did you get the rotors from?
I don't even remember any more, some random onlineshop... just do some looking around. Either get +1 rotors for the GT or stock replacement rotors for the Cobra. The stock replacements will very likely be cheaper because they "aren't special." Gotta love marketing [:@]
Old 05-06-2007, 04:52 PM
mattofiesh
2nd Gear Member

Those are the same ones I ordered, for $100 extra they added the cadmium-plated rotors. I have always heard to stay away from drilled rotors (ALL EXPERTS I have talked to say them WILL eventually crack from the holes), so you may want to look into that and go from there, they do look good though. I like the brakes so far, and was recommended to not push them to hard for the first 500 miles (almost there). The only bad thing I have to say about the slotted rotors is they leave spots of brake dust from the slots, no big problem. If you’re going to spend the money 13†rotors with 2 piston calipers are going to be WAY better than stock ones. Good luck
Old 05-06-2007, 05:48 PM
bestjudge

Just get regularstock ones...they should be under 100 in most stores. For DD even if u drive hard u dont need anythingmore then stock.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:47 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

you're not suppsoed to get only one side.While braking, your new caliper could grab harder causing your car to pull hard in that direction. Be safe and do it right and get both calipers.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:15 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

you're not suppsoed to get only one side.While braking, your new caliper could grab harder causing your car to pull hard in that direction. Be safe and do it right and get both calipers.
That's what I was thinking, I think I'm going to go with the Cobra brake kit. They are 13" rotors, right?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:05 PM
mattofiesh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SINISTER

ORIGINAL: 96GT226410

That's what I was thinking, I think I'm going to go with the Cobra brake kit. They are 13" rotors, right?
they should be, you should ask when you order them to make sure

Quick Reply: Brakes