4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Typhoon vs P-51

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:49 AM
Jexey
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Typhoon vs P-51

ORIGINAL: Jexey

haha code3 I mean 200hp
like I said!
Old 05-09-2007, 05:46 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I have heard many many good things about the Typhoon and watched a small dyno session on speed about the intake swap, they claimed they got 31 or 32RWHP out of this just on the typhoon and TB alone. It was on national TV so it had to be right,,, right? LOL

The only bad thing that I have heard about the Typhoon is that its made outside the country and is of poor quality. I have never seen anything to back that up, just a TV broadcast on it making some serious numbers.

-Eric-
Old 05-09-2007, 06:55 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Why bother with an aftermarket intake at all? Unless you have a built motor its nothing but a waste of money.

I have yet to see a intake come out on the market that will acutally improve power output on a stock shortblock car (unless it was a FI car) keeping in the safe RPM range. even if you pick up a little at the top of the band, your gonna lose enough down low that its not worth it.

Before I would do a intake I would be looking at cams and headwork, not to mention the bottom end. I have said it time and time agian, the stock 2v intake is a fairly decent peice for a stock shortblock setup keeping the RPM under or around 6K.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:49 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Dont change your intake untill you do head work. . . . Even if you change your manifold your stock heads are still the bottleneck of the system
Old 05-09-2007, 11:16 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Why bother with an aftermarket intake at all? Unless you have a built motor its nothing but a waste of money.

I have yet to see a intake come out on the market that will acutally improve power output on a stock shortblock car (unless it was a FI car) keeping in the safe RPM range. even if you pick up a little at the top of the band, your gonna lose enough down low that its not worth it.

Before I would do a intake I would be looking at cams and headwork, not to mention the bottom end. I have said it time and time agian, the stock 2v intake is a fairly decent peice for a stock shortblock setup keeping the RPM under or around 6K.
+1
Everything I've read on intake swaps and 2V motors seems to indicate it's a waste of time and money unless the motor is built or plans are in place for the motor to be built at a later date.
As for the TV shows shilling for products, take a look at the things they test and then look at who sponsors the show.
Also look carefully on the shelves in garage and see the placement of certain products. Royal Purple fluids for one.

Not that there is anything wrong with those products, just that it's in the best interest of the show to make their sponsors
products look good or at the very least not look bad....

It usually goes something like this: "Gee John, we really got some serious gains on the dyno at 5700 RPM.
Yea Jim, that's going to be noticeable for sure!"

What they don't tell you is that they lost serious power in the RPM range most people are driving in the majority of the time.

Stuff like that.....

Old 05-09-2007, 02:50 PM
JEG447
2nd Gear Member

Hey Code you say you need to make serious hp for the P-51. I'm in the process of having a motor built now. So what would be your suggestion on a cut off point hp wise to use the P-51, or would it make a difference over the hardballer? J
Old 05-09-2007, 02:59 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

+1
Everything I've read on intake swaps and 2V motors seems to indicate it's a waste of time and money unless the motor is built or plans are in place for the motor to be built at a later date.
As for the TV shows shilling for products, take a look at the things they test and then look at who sponsors the show.
Also look carefully on the shelves in garage and see the placement of certain products. Royal Purple fluids for one.

Not that there is anything wrong with those products, just that it's in the best interest of the show to make their sponsors

It usually goes something like this: "Gee John, we really got some serious gains on the dyno at 5700 RPM.

What they don't tell you is that they lost serious power in the RPM range most people are driving in the majority of the time.

Stuff like that.....

if u read further down that link, it states there was NO loss of power throughout the rpm range. the only problem i see if the gain is near redline, and i almost never redline my vehicle unless im at the track. btw, the car they did it on they said was completely stock, with a dyno sheet to back it up. i still dont buy into it though
Old 05-09-2007, 03:47 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

ORIGINAL: undecided.steve

+1

Stuff like that.....

if u read further down that link, it states there was NO loss of power throughout the rpm range. the only problem i see if the gain is near redline, and i almost never redline my vehicle unless im at the track. btw, the car they did it on they said was completely stock, with a dyno sheet to back it up. i still dont buy into it though
Its the company that MAKES THE INTAKE telling you what happens...

When you start looking at the few independent tests (or users) out there you see that there are plenty of losses down low, and the cars dont' pick up anywhere near the power levels they claim.

Plain and simple, you won't see any signficant gains on a stock car, and will loose power down low. Its only worth it on a built motor/shortblock setup.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Jexey
2nd Gear Member

Well i'm doing a PI swap and was looking at getting a different intake manifold, consensus says it's a waste of money?