4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

stock or not stock...that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Default stock or not stock...that is the question

Kinda odd question I know, but who here would keep there mustang stock and not add any mods to it?

The reason why I ask is this... Today I went to to the tire shop to get another tire cause my other one blew out on the turnpike. Ahead of me was a nice, mint condition white mustang gt. I smiled as I walked passed it and then the owner of the mustang came out and took a look at his car. I started talking to him and as it turns out he only has 10k mi on it and its 2002! I asked and he said he just got it. I asked how much and he said 8500 (since it was in the family). My jaw dropped and I was jealous... hehe. Anyway, I asked what mods will you/have you done to the car. He was like non and I plan to keep it that way. I then asked why - he then stated that if he has to sell it he would get a better price (which is true).

So once agian my question to everyone is this: Would you keep your mustang stock, or tune the heck out of it?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:54 AM
jman511115
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: stock or not stock...that is the question

I'm keeping it stock. There's a reason you can get $15-20k for a good shape, stock '66 mustang.

Edit: I guess I should add- I got mine in like new shape. It's never seen rain, looks brand new. If I had gotten one that wasnt in such great shape, I'd mod the living **** out of it.

And another thing, why mod this one when I can buy a Cobra and mod that? I'd rather start on a good engine/drivetrain rather than cripple myself by using a car with the 2V and T-45.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:55 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

I would LIKE to but I just can't [8D]I was diagnosed with the mod bug a couple of months ago and is slowly getting worse. I wish I could keep my stang stock to spend it on other important things like....ummm... ... yeah those things! Hahaha
Old 05-11-2007, 02:00 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Slicktastyk Matt

I would LIKE to but I just can't [8D]I was diagnosed with the mod bug a couple of months ago and is slowly getting worse. I wish I could keep my stang stock to spend it on other important things like....ummm... ... yeah those things! Hahaha
I know what you mean...

Lets see what I could have saved:

K&N FIPK GEN2 CAI - $150
Diablo Predator Tuner - $250 (around there)
Dual Halo Projector Headlamps and HID Package (6000K) - $400 (I think)
Borla Stinger Cat-back - $600

Total = $1,400 - could of paid off my car...lol
Reed44
3rd Gear Member

Yeah pretty sure I couldn't keep it stock. Especially if it was a terminator!
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Would I keep it stock?... Uh.... See my sig
Old 05-11-2007, 02:22 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jman511115

I'm keeping it stock. There's a reason you can get $15-20k for a good shape, stock '66 mustang.

Edit: I guess I should add- I got mine in like new shape. It's never seen rain, looks brand new. If I had gotten one that wasnt in such great shape, I'd mod the living **** out of it.

And another thing, why mod this one when I can buy a Cobra and mod that? I'd rather start on a good engine/drivetrain rather than cripple myself by using a car with the 2V and T-45.
I think you need to take another look at pricing of the 60's cars... they aren't anywhere near that expensive.

You MIGHT get 15K out of a completely stock and completely orignal (not restorted) 66 v8 car if its in mint conidtion and you find a sucker... other than that.... Hell, you can pick up great condtion early cars for around 8-10k. Hell, I have seen Mach 1 cars (lots more valuable than a regular V8) in MINT condition after a restore only go for around 18-20k.

In any case, look at the pricing your talking about. 16k isn't JACK. You can't even buy a NEW mustang for that. So your going to buy a GT, keep it stock with no miles on it for 40+ years, and then sell it for less than the orignal purchase price (adjusted for inflation) ?????

Lets put it this way, the ONLY mustang made in the last 20 or so years that MIGHT be worth keeping stock is a cobra R, and maybe the 93 cobras. Other than that, they simply made to many of them and they will be too easily available, espcially a GT.

Just mod the **** out of it. I don't buy that a stock car is worth any more money either... there are people that won't buy a modded car, but thats only because their stupid. People seem to have the idea that if a car isn't modded it wasn't beat on, and if it is it was, and thats just stupid. I have seen far more mistreated cars that were left bone stock, how many people put mods on a car they don't care about and don't take care of?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:35 AM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Smooth_J
I then asked why - he then stated that if he has to sell it he would get a better price (which is true).
My car is very rare..................in Moscow and Kenya [8D] There is no point in keeping it stock for value beyond what the normal book price will be. My preimum 2004 GT only has around 39k miles on it (11k short of the 50k half way point for "value") and it still only worth *MAYBE* 15k at the most. They made over 17,000 silver GTs my year alone, and 20 years down the road this car will NOT be a "rare" collectable. There for its [sm=nxsmile.gif] and mods all the way.

EDIT: Keep in mind I do take care of the car SO well that its difficult to tell its not "new". The interior is beyond factory perfect and all my mods are top quality brands with no compromise on the "cheap stuff"
Old 05-11-2007, 03:09 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Mine`s Mostly stock
Old 05-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Js04sILVerBullet
2nd Gear Member

I would never keep a V8 GT stock, theres just to many of them runnin around to be considered rare down the road.bought itfor a reason, to mod and go faster

Quick Reply: stock or not stock...that is the question