4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Short Term Trims Not Agreeing---Advance Tech Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:46 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

Default Short Term Trims Not Agreeing---Advance Tech Needed

Here is an on-going problem I have. Short term trims are not agreeing bank to bank below 3Kclosed loop. No exhaust leaks, (per sniffer), no intake leaks, ( per smoke test),and the injectors have been flow benched tested within 2%. Open loop WOT runs are fine, technically as I haven't dropped a cylinder yet. For the life of me I can not figure out why the short terms in closed loop are off by about 8%. I'm 99.9% sure I'm not getting any unmetered air into the intake. I'm scratching my head trying to figure this out. The really weird thing is there is no drivability issues at all. I realize 8% isn't THAT big of a deal normally, but man, it it's a big of enough difference to drop a cylinder. Any of you guys or your tuners ever come across this?
Old 06-07-2007, 05:58 AM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Short Term Trims Not Agreeing---Advance Tech Needed

Sounds kinda like a tune issue. If at WOT everything runs fine, i.e. no boost loss, car doesn't fall on its face, then I don't see it being any kind of mechanical impedence on the system. What fuel pump are you running, what is fuel pressure like at those rpm's with the issue? Any aftermarket fuel rail issues where you simply may not be getting enough fuel pressure to the injectors when not at WOT?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:53 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Differences in the switching times and waveformsof the O2 sensors could account for this, you'd have to scope their outputs to see it.If they have a few (10k+) miles on 'emit's not unusual for them to age differently.[/align][/align]Are you talking about an instantaneous difference of 8%, or a range offset of 8%?[/align]
Old 06-07-2007, 07:45 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Differences in the switching times and waveformsof the O2 sensors could account for this, you'd have to scope their outputs to see it.If they have a few (10k+) miles on 'emit's not unusual for them to age differently.[/align][/align]Are you talking about an instantaneous difference of 8%, or a range offset of 8%?[/align]
It's basically a continuous offset of 8%-10% before the ecm switches to open loop. The O2's are new, (less than 10k miles), Bosch units I replaced to try and fix the problem. When the ecm switches to closed loop, the trim data goes deadaccuratebetween bank to bank.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:24 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Are they Bosch units specifically spec'd for the newer (1998+) 3.3 Ohm heater circuits? The older 6 Ohm heaters will not react quickly enough to the controlled heater cycling of the newer design, and because they are so far downstream of the exhaust port they can run cold and give wacky readings--of course this doesn't explain why one bank is consistently below the other???[/align][/align]Is the lower bank pushing into negative numbers? This could indicate a heater malfunction--I'm thinking it's a sensor operating temp issue, or maybe the sensors are that much mis-matched. I've seen a number of negative posts about the Bosch sensors, however in my other "Miata" life (one sensor only) I've neverhad a problem using the Bosch 13275 "sort of generic" 6 Ohm heater 4-wire sensor...[/align]
Old 06-07-2007, 08:49 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Do you still have your EGR?
Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

Are they Bosch units specifically spec'd for the newer (1998+) 3.3 Ohm heater circuits? The older 6 Ohm heaters will not react quickly enough to the controlled heater cycling of the newer design, and because they are so far downstream of the exhaust port they can run cold and give wacky readings--of course this doesn't explain why one bank is consistently below the other???[/align][/align]Is the lower bank pushing into negative numbers? This could indicate a heater malfunction--I'm thinking it's a sensor operating temp issue, or maybe the sensors are that much mis-matched. I've seen a number of negative posts about the Bosch sensors, however in my other "Miata" life (one sensor only) I've neverhad a problem using the Bosch 13275 "sort of generic" 6 Ohm heater 4-wire sensor...[/align]
Yah, I've never had a problem with them and the data didn't change at all compared to the factory ones that I thought could be faulty.

I switched the 02's across banks and the data stayed the same for each side. I guess I can rule out the 02's causing it.
I also switched injectors side to side without any change in data.

I was told even a "pin hole" size exhaust leak could cause this. I hoping that's all it is and I can live with that. But it would be nice to know so I don't hold my breath every time I go WOT.

Yes, all emissions are still intact. Gotta love CA[:'(]
Old 06-08-2007, 08:08 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

This is from the factory manual[/align]
Values for SHRTFT1 and 2 may change a great deal on a scan tool when the engine is operated at different rpm and load points. This is because SHRTFT1 and 2 will react to fuel delivery variability [emphasis added] that can change as a function of engine rpm and load. Short term fuel trim values are not retained after the engine is turned off.
The short term trim % is the amount the PCM has varied the mix from what it thinks "should be" the desired a/f ratio to what is required for the O2 sensor to report the ratio it (the PCM) wants. The phrase "fuel delivery variability" in the above paragraph makes me wonder if what you are observing is a factor for the fuelbeing delivered first tothe bank 1 rail, and then via the crossover tube to the bank 2 rail?

The PCM has to use different short term trims to get the ratios it wants because of the different rail pressures???

This is 110% speculation on my part as I am relatively new to the Mustang world, and the only other ECU I've ever gotten this far into is on my '92 Miata...

[/align]
Old 06-08-2007, 10:27 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

This is from the factory manual[/align]
Values for SHRTFT1 and 2 may change a great deal on a scan tool when the engine is operated at different rpm and load points. This is because SHRTFT1 and 2 will react to fuel delivery variability [emphasis added] that can change as a function of engine rpm and load. Short term fuel trim values are not retained after the engine is turned off.
The short term trim % is the amount the PCM has varied the mix from what it thinks "should be" the desired a/f ratio to what is required for the O2 sensor to report the ratio it (the PCM) wants. The phrase "fuel delivery variability" in the above paragraph makes me wonder if what you are observing is a factor for the fuelbeing delivered first tothe bank 1 rail, and then via the crossover tube to the bank 2 rail?

The PCM has to use different short term trims to get the ratios it wants because of the different rail pressures???

This is 110% speculation on my part as I am relatively new to the Mustang world, and the only other ECU I've ever gotten this far into is on my '92 Miata...

[/align]
The fact that the trims are off during idle~3k until the ecm switch's loops and thatmy pump duty cycle peaks at only 78% WOT/red line, I don't think it's a fuel delivery/pressure/volume issue. If it was the ecm would adjust the pulse width on the leaner bank to compensate, up to a point.

I appreciate the idea though. Any help is better than none at all, especially at this point. [&:]
Old 06-08-2007, 10:39 PM
99mustanggt
3rd Gear Member

Although you've already ruled out the 02's,I just wanted to add that during open loop your 02 sensors are'nt even being looked at by the pcm,thats why when you get into closed loop your stft's even out because the pcm is looking at your 02's and realizing the problem.

Quick Reply: Short Term Trims Not Agreeing---Advance Tech Needed