4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Magnaflow Magnapack Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:01 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

Default Magnaflow Magnapack Problems

So I got my Magnapacks on Friday last week (the 1st). I installed the system that day. From the get go, I've had issues. Magnaflow screwed up the piping and the right tip won't properly fit over the piping. I had to cut 3" of pipe off to make it fit. I also think Magnaflow could have spent a little more time on fitment. I had to take a hammer and make an indentation on both of the over the axle loops. The sway bar was hitting the exhaust pipes. I've got about 1/4" of clearance now, but at least there is no more banging noises.

Anyways, the car sounds wicked. To me, it sounds like a 60's big block with straight pipes. Very deep rumble at idle, and when I nail the throttle, everybody for at least 1 block knows that a V-8 is present.

And that is part of the problem. At 65 mph, there is no drone and the tone inside the car is quiet. At 0-20 mph or so, the rear deck lid freaking rattles. I'm hoping that I've got a sound mount improperly hooked up or something. I'll go insane if I have to listen to that vibrating buzz. Ever hear the windows shake on cars with huge sounds systems? That's the effect. The exhaust is that dang loud at low RPM's

On the plus side, I've had 1 Cobra and 1 catfishbuzz me at lights. I got my butt whooped on the 0-40 race, but it was fun messing with them and seeing peoplesreaction when 2 cars nail it, the exhausts are roaringand bothleave dual black marks

Anybody have any ideas? I've been under it 2 times to adjust stuff. I'm open to pretty much any suggestion.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:49 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Magnaflow Magnapack Problems

well i got my magnapacks for my B-day and they seem to fit just fine. sorry to hear you had problems with their product, but they sound awesome =D
Old 06-10-2007, 02:20 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

I know on my last exhaust system (mac) it would make my rear license plate rattle. But I too am sorry to hear about the fitment issues because mine fit great except for the passanger side axle piece was a PITA. I just rear pass. tire and I was good! [8D]
Old 06-10-2007, 02:42 PM
TOOT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tylus

So I got my Magnapacks on Friday last week (the 1st). I installed the system that day. From the get go, I've had issues. Magnaflow screwed up the piping and the right tip won't properly fit over the piping. I had to cut 3" of pipe off to make it fit. I also think Magnaflow could have spent a little more time on fitment. I had to take a hammer and make an indentation on both of the over the axle loops. The sway bar was hitting the exhaust pipes. I've got about 1/4" of clearance now, but at least there is no more banging noises.

Anyways, the car sounds wicked. To me, it sounds like a 60's big block with straight pipes. Very deep rumble at idle, and when I nail the throttle, everybody for at least 1 block knows that a V-8 is present.

And that is part of the problem. At 65 mph, there is no drone and the tone inside the car is quiet. At 0-20 mph or so, the rear deck lid freaking rattles. I'm hoping that I've got a sound mount improperly hooked up or something. I'll go insane if I have to listen to that vibrating buzz. Ever hear the windows shake on cars with huge sounds systems? That's the effect. The exhaust is that dang loud at low RPM's

On the plus side, I've had 1 Cobra and 1 catfishbuzz me at lights. I got my butt whooped on the 0-40 race, but it was fun messing with them and seeing peoplesreaction when 2 cars nail it, the exhausts are roaringand bothleave dual black marks

Anybody have any ideas? I've been under it 2 times to adjust stuff. I'm open to pretty much any suggestion.

I would take it past a muffler shop and see what they say/think.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

No fitment problems when I had my Magnapacks installed. Tips were easy to adjust and never hit anything. The quality of the Magnaflow products are amazing.

As for the sound, some like them, some don't. At WOT they sound amazing, but otherwise they sound waspy like a wet fart. I'm a chambered muffler guy, at least on these cars.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:05 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

This is the 3rd time i have heard people having problems with magnaflow fitment this month..... I thought they were supposed to have some higher quality stuff [&:]
Old 06-10-2007, 03:17 PM
99mustang0
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

This is the 3rd time i have heard people having problems with magnaflow fitment this month..... I thought they were supposed to have some higher quality stuff [&:]
They do, magnaflow is a quality product. User error maybe
Old 06-10-2007, 03:22 PM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99mustang0

ORIGINAL: Adam03GT

They do, magnaflow is a quality product. User error maybe
I have installed 2 sets of magnaflow catbacks and both went on easy for me. Only fitment issue was being a little close to the gas tank on my friends GT.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:20 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I have MagnaFlows and the fit was just fine. However, they are assembled by humans, so errors do happen. One thing I noted when I installed mine was that I started from the rear and worked forward rather than follow the directions and go front to back. My only problem was my left tip didn't fix quite tight enough and would vibrate forward making it look shorter than the right. I added a stainless hose clamp and fixed the issue. Sorry we couldn't help more, but your issues seem more the exception than the rule.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

quality of materials is excellent. the quality of the fit/finish is sloppy. this is my second Magnaflow catback in 8 months. I will buy from them again though.

I found the problem. My car is lowered and the other day I scrapped it going over a speedbump. That scrape made the left axle loop piece about 1/4" from the sub-frame. so when idling, the pipe bounced more and would hit the sub-frame. I moved the pipe 1" from the sub-frame and the noise is gone. Now it just sounds wicked and there is 0 vibration issues.

the quality defect I had was a 1/1000 thing I'd say. The pipe is supposed to be 2.5" outside diameter on the entire unit. 90% of my setup is 2.5" outside diamter. On the passenger tailpipe where the exhaust tip clamps on, the inside diameter of the tip is only 2.6". the outside diameter of the piping is 2.75". The tip will only slide on 1" or so. There is plenty of pipe for the tip to clamp onto, but it still irks me.

basically, I think some guy at the factory flared out 10" of pipe by accident or something. Because there is definetaly 10" of pipe that is 2.75" outside diameter instead of the 2.5" it's supposed to be.

thanks for the replies

btw, for those interested, I bought the system from http://stores.ebay.com/ALL-STAR-TRUCK-PERFORMANCEfor $375 shipped. There is a make an offer button at the top. He accepted $325 and $50 for s/h. And it only took 2 days to get in the mail. I highly recommend them. They also have a shop in Redding, CA

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Magnapack Problems