4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Coolant leaking into the spark plug chamber (left front) causing misfire. GOT PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:01 PM
MUSTANGRIDAH4LIFE
2nd Gear Member

Default Coolant leaking into the spark plug chamber (left front) causing misfire. GOT PICS!

Coolant leaking into the spark plug chamber (left front) causing misfire. GOT PICS! anybody have or had this problem??
Any help is appreciated thanks in advance!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:17 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Coolant leaking into the spark plug chamber (left front) causing misfire. GOT PICS!

Do you already have an aluminum cross over intake? It looks like you could have a crack somewhere. I'm not sure where else coolant would be coming from there. Unless it's leaking down the thermostat housing on the other side.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:27 PM
MUSTANGRIDAH4LIFE
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Coolant leaking into the spark plug chamber (left front) causing misfire. GOT PICS!

ichanged it to the aluminum crossover intake last year.new gaskets and all.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:31 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I guess it's hard to say with out actually seeing it but it still seems like you have a crack somewhere.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 AM
II 98 GT II
4th Gear Member

You could try pressure testing your coolant system. Might notshow anything though, if it's a slow leak it might only happen at certain temperatures. When my NPI manifold cracked on my old car, it was a slow leak in the thermostat housing that only happened about an hour into cool-down.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:47 PM
MUSTANGRIDAH4LIFE
2nd Gear Member

Damn i thought mustang guys would have more input on this.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:11 PM
blackstallion666
4th Gear Member

theres actually two gaskets. you have the normal intake to cylinder head gasket and there is gaskets for the aluminum crossover piece that bolts to the intake they may be leaking.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Is that a Dorman intake or a FORD intake...?Pressure test..but the aluminum crossover is prob fine...try andretighten the t-stat bolts...Be careful not to break them off though..and if that doesnt do it....new set of gaskets..FORD gaskets are one piece (2x)....
Old 07-12-2007, 09:14 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Also when you did the intake,,was there corrison pits in the head?alot have them and I usually put a small bead of Blue RTV(both sides of the gasket by the T-stat)anyways to help it seal...
Old 07-12-2007, 10:06 PM
MUSTANGRIDAH4LIFE
2nd Gear Member

so there is a gasket for the alum. crossover for sure?if so i have to take the whole intake out again to take off one of the passenger side bolts under the intake.
oh yea and i did tighten down the 2 bolts but havent gotten around for a long test drive to know for sure.

and to everyone its leaking from the part that the crossover meets the intake not the intake gasket side(bottom).

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking into the spark plug chamber (left front) causing misfire. GOT PICS!