4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Throwout bearing noise?!?!

Old 01-17-2005, 01:40 PM
PRmustang

Default Throwout bearing noise?!?!

Almost a month ago, my car started making a chirping (sounds like a slipping belt) noise that goes away when I press the clutch pedal. The noise is always there when the clutch is not pressed but when I put presure on the pedal it goes away. Question is, how long can it last before it something major breaks? Should I look at it immediately or can I wait a little more before I get someplace to get it looked at? I ask because this is my only car and I need it for transportation. Thanks for any help... oh, by the way it's a 99 gt 5 speed.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:44 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Throwout bearing noise?!?!

LOL Mine has been doing it for about three months. Eventually the majority of the squeeking will go away. I think its more less the pressure plate than the throwout bearing because a throwout bearing sounds like you are dragging a chain behind you as you relaese the clutch on a take off.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRmustang

Almost a month ago, my car started making a chirping (sounds like a slipping belt) noise that goes away when I press the clutch pedal. The noise is always there when the clutch is not pressed but when I put presure on the pedal it goes away. Question is, how long can it last before it something major breaks? Should I look at it immediately or can I wait a little more before I get someplace to get it looked at? I ask because this is my only car and I need it for transportation. Thanks for any help... oh, by the way it's a 99 gt 5 speed.
your correct.. its the throw out bearing and it will befine for a while. how many miles are on the car and has the clutch been changed yet? The reason i ask is because if and when you change it yo might want to change the clutch and check the pilot bearing while you are there. So you dont have to drop the trans again. But other than that you should be ok for a while but I wouldnt forget about it...
Old 01-17-2005, 03:32 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

It was a totally different sound for my TOB. I have the whistle and I took it to ford and they said it was the pressure plate getting worn. When my TOB was going out it sounded like I was dragging a chain. Thats the only way I know how to describe it.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

Nah...It's fine. Mine has squeaked for a year now.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

It was a totally different sound for my TOB. I have the whistle and I took it to ford and they said it was the pressure plate getting worn. When my TOB was going out it sounded like I was dragging a chain. Thats the only way I know how to describe it.
thats when the TOB is really shot. The sqeal/whistel is just lack of lubrication on the bearing. either way if will be fine for a while.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Mustangous
2nd Gear Member

JD, what kind of TOB do you have in there now?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:18 PM
kubball2005
4th Gear Member

Right after I got my 99 it started sqeaking too. At first the noise would go away after the car warmed up and then it did it even more after a couple months. I took it in to Ford and they told me a pulley was bad. I don't know if that has anything to do with your problem but it's an idea.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:28 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

That's DEFINITELY a TOB

........and you don't need to worry too much about anything breaking.

Replacing other parts like the clutch or pilot bearing is a good plan while you're in there.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:36 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Mustangous

JD, what kind of TOB do you have in there now?

Its a Ford Racing 10.5" upgrade. It sucks. Only 20,000 miles on it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throwout bearing noise?!?!