4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

check out my plugs..

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Default check out my plugs..

I pulled the front passenger and front driver side plugs out of my car tonight just to see if they looked crazy or anything. I got some pics.. whats the greenish cast on the electrode about ? and how does the rest of it look?

tell me what you think...

Old 07-22-2007, 11:36 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default RE: check out my plugs..

is there any reason i dont see a gap in the first pic? greenish coloration would most likely indicate some sort of antifreeze leak getting on that plug, do you have the orginal plastic intake? any smell of coolant?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ackuric

is there any reason i dont see a gap in the first pic? greenish coloration would most likely indicate some sort of antifreeze leak getting on that plug, do you have the orginal plastic intake? any smell of coolant?
you can't see the gap in that pic but they were gapped fine... I'm just worried about the green color..
Old 07-23-2007, 12:58 AM
Stangforlife

What kind of plugs are they, copper? They look a little worn. Should've just replaced them while you had em out if there was any question of their condition.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

They are ngk TR6's. I'm not worried about the conidition of the plug, I put them in there right before I put the charger on, i'm just trying to make sure everything is running like its suppose to be.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:51 AM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

I searched and found this.....

One sign of heat used by some professionals is electrode color. Many--but not all--spark-plug electrodes have an alloy composition that will oxidize green when subjected to high temperatures. This nickel oxide on the center wire and sidewire would show up first at the tip of the electrode--the hottest part--and progress from there, depending on temperature. Excessive green oxide may signal it's time to change to a colder plug. Several causes of high spark-plug temperature are described in the boxed information at left. The main thing to keep in mind here is that not all electrodes oxidize (turn green) at the same rate, if at all. Therefore, your best bet is to turn to a technician with experience reading plugs.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:05 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Have you had the car tuned on a dyno? Your running the right plug and the gap looks good but it looks like it's getting a little too hot in there. You look a little on the lean side to me.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:28 AM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Hey, i dont know much about an F/I Application...but i have always heard(from ford Mechanics) and my friend who isnt a Ford Mech. That to ONLY use Motorcraft.... I just wanna make sure before im F/I
Old 07-24-2007, 07:29 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Not sure what your green stuff is but AFAIK Antifreeze turns white when subjected to heat so unless the stuff was dripping off the plugs, chances are good that it is NOT antifreeze.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:13 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ryan86272

Hey, i dont know much about an F/I Application...but i have always heard(from ford Mechanics) and my friend who isnt a Ford Mech. That to ONLY use Motorcraft.... I just wanna make sure before im F/I
You can't use iridium or platinum plugs when you go FI. They burn too hot and will melt. NGK TR6s FTW!

Quick Reply: check out my plugs..