4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

ok to drive with exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:09 PM
adam_ferguson
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ok to drive with exhaust leak

i had an exahust leak and the only problem i encountered was a lack in performance. as long as its not huge you can probably live with it , but i recomend at least getting under there and trying to tighten the bolts to see if that helps.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:48 PM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mex69

alright ive had an exhaust leak with my car for the past couple of months.. jus been to lazy, and overloaded with work and school, and broke to take it to the shop... but it seems to be getting worse and worse so is it ok to drive with an exhaust leak... or does it do any harm to the engine? thanks
I'm surprised that your CEL hasn't came on yet letting you know that your car is running lean on that bank. If it hasn't, more than likely your leak is post O2 sensors. If that's the case, you're not going to hurt anything relative to the car but just remember, CO, (carbon monoxide), has no odor and can kill you in strong enough concentrations. [X(]
Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

thats probaly why i get headaches, because i got a 30 minute drive to work and here in texas its ****ing hot so i drive with the windows up and the AC on full blast.. and when i get to work i feel like shiit and i got a big *** headache... hmmm.... im probably gonna take it to a s hop and jus borrow someones car to go to work or something thansk fellas
Seriously bro.... That can kill you. Its just the same as sticking your head at the end of your exhaust pipe and breathing.

Ya if it hasnt, I am VERY surprised your CEL hasnt come on. I drove mine for maybe 2 hours with a leak and had mine come on.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:06 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

mine is hard to explain, like when i rev it high and then it drops back down there is kind of a extra woosh sound. although when the car is warm it sometimes doesnt make this sound, or its not as noticable. when i shift sometimes it sounds like a waste gate, its kinda anoying. i had the car up today for a oil change and i checked ALL like 12 clamps and they were tight and i did not see any leaks like the kind ive fixed previously. so the only other place is the manifold gaskets. however i did not install this pipe originaly the guy i bought it from did. i hoave however take the cats off and put the test pipes in and from the manifold legs back its not leaking. any ideas?
Old 07-21-2007, 12:08 AM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

yea me and my buddy did my exhaust a long time ago in january, and we extra tighted the header bolts. and everything was fine.. but in march i got a clutch job from my uncles buddy (whom i will never go to ever again).. he loosed up the passenger header to drop the tranny, and i guess when he put it up he didnt tighten it all the way.. and at first it was no leak,, but after time it got worse and worse and now tis jst annoying as hell..i tried callin teh guy back and he doenst answer, and when he does he jus says hello then hangs up, soo i guess thas what i get for payin 350 for a ****ty clutch job wich i gotta replace because my throwout berrng is going out again grrrr... soo from now on i eitherer do my work myself or a reputable shop and thats it
Old 07-21-2007, 12:32 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Well if you can, find a buddy that could help you out. Buy him a few beers and make a day out of it.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:36 AM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

ahaha i wish i coudl buy a few beers im only 19 [&:]

maybe ill take my liscense plates off and make a beer run
Old 07-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ahaha i wish i coudl buy a few beers im only 19 [&:]

maybe ill take my liscense plates off and make a beer run
LOL not smart.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:53 AM
mex69
2nd Gear Member

hahaha i was jus kiddin well jus sit back and drink some water
Old 07-21-2007, 07:07 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

thats probaly why i get headaches, because i got a 30 minute drive to work and here in texas its ****ing hot so i drive with the windows up and the AC on full blast.. and when i get to work i feel like shiit and i got a big *** headache... hmmm.... im probably gonna take it to a s hop and jus borrow someones car to go to work or something thansk fellas
You would have to have a really big exhaust leak to acutally get inside the car at highway speeds with enough potentcy to acutally make ya sick. Not only that, but with the air on the car does recycle some new air into the car.

In any case, get it fixed. The longer you wait, the worse it is likely to get.

Quick Reply: ok to drive with exhaust leak